Natalia Elo
Natalia Elo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:41
English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 6, 2005

Hi all,

I signed up for ProZ hosting and registered domain. So what should I do now? I'm not making my webpages myself, I gave it to a professional. He's not yet ready, but eventually will be. So what exactly should I do then? I'm sorry if this has been already covered on the Hosting section, but somehow I can't find the right information.

Best regards
Natalia

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
French to English
Can your Web designer take care of it? Oct 6, 2005

I recently had a Web designer do a minor update on my site. I just gave her my login info and she uploaded the modified files herself.

Probably second nature to her...would have taken me hours!!

Regards,

Sara

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:41
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
You need a ftp-program Oct 6, 2005

I use WS-FTP since 2000. The use is quite intuitive. After startup you click New, enter the service name (proz or what you call it).
Second field ist ftp.yourdomain.com, choose Hostetype Unix, and the next two fields are for your user name and the password (from your login information). Click Ok and at the right you see the content of the folder public_html. It should be empty at first.
The left w
... See more
I use WS-FTP since 2000. The use is quite intuitive. After startup you click New, enter the service name (proz or what you call it).
Second field ist ftp.yourdomain.com, choose Hostetype Unix, and the next two fields are for your user name and the password (from your login information). Click Ok and at the right you see the content of the folder public_html. It should be empty at first.
The left window you navigate to the folder where your files are. Highlight all files and folders and click the arrow to the right in the middle between the two windows.
Then the program sends the files and folders to the server, and after that the right window will look exactly the same as the left one.
Click options and mark "remember folders". The next time the program will remember the location of your files.

After editing a file you only have to send the changed file(s) to the server.

Its the easiest thing in the world, much easier than using Trados.
Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:41
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
ProZ File Manager Oct 6, 2005

You or your web designer can:

Select My ProZ.com at the top of the screen.

Select My Hosting

Select Control Panel

Enter Username and Password

Select File Manager from the menu of icons

From there, you can upload files to your website.

Natalia Elo wrote:

Hi all,

I signed up for ProZ hosting and registered domain. So what should I do now? I'm not making my webpages myself, I gave it to a professional. He's not yet ready, but eventually will be. So what exactly should I do then? I'm sorry if this has been already covered on the Hosting section, but somehow I can't find the right information.

Best regards
Natalia

Natalia Elo
Natalia Elo  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank Oct 17, 2005

Dear Sara, Heinrich and Jeff,

I thank you all, actually I used a bit from each advice. Something is happening, all totally new for me:o

Best regards

Natalia

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
HELP! (Pretty please!) Jun 18, 2006

I'm so glad I'm not alone!

I've done everything to get started, but somehow can't seem to make things work.

Like the good little boy I am, I've dutifully read all the FAQs I can find, but they're all on a plane way above my head --- I can't even understand half the questions, let alone the answers!

Is there anything as good as Gianfranco's HTML tutorial to help us beginners get started?

I'm familiar enough with using FTP, that isn't the problem
... See more
I'm so glad I'm not alone!

I've done everything to get started, but somehow can't seem to make things work.

Like the good little boy I am, I've dutifully read all the FAQs I can find, but they're all on a plane way above my head --- I can't even understand half the questions, let alone the answers!

Is there anything as good as Gianfranco's HTML tutorial to help us beginners get started?

I'm familiar enough with using FTP, that isn't the problem.

What I actually wanted to do was to upload some images, firstly, so that I can use them on the 'Personal' page of my Profile, and also, so that I can use the system to post images in relation to KudoZ qustions I'm asking or answering (so often, this would be a really helpful facility, to post a diagram or something to explain a point much better than 1,000 words)

But whatever I try and do, I can't figure out how to get the image I've uploaded to display -- anywhere!

Please, has anyone out there got the patience to talk me through this, slowly, one step at a time?

Thanks so much, in advance!
Collapse

Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Upoading photos and web page Jun 19, 2006

I decided to use the ProZ site creator - saves a lot of headaches with ftp and control panel.

If what you want is a simple website which you can modify yourself in a matter of minutes: use the site creator.

The only thing you have to make sure beforehand is that. if your site is registered with another registrar, the correct DNS servers are entered there. If you registered your sitre directly with ProZ, no problem, skip this.

Go to My Proz.com (toolbar on t
... See more
I decided to use the ProZ site creator - saves a lot of headaches with ftp and control panel.

If what you want is a simple website which you can modify yourself in a matter of minutes: use the site creator.

The only thing you have to make sure beforehand is that. if your site is registered with another registrar, the correct DNS servers are entered there. If you registered your sitre directly with ProZ, no problem, skip this.

Go to My Proz.com (toolbar on top) and then to My Website.
The program will lead you through the steps to set up your site. Once the site is made, and uploaded, you can edit the pages at 'step 4' and upload them once again.

How to add photos, images, pictures in the Site creator:
This had me thrown in the beginning as well - you cannot upload them directly from your computer to your website. You have to upload them first to the ProZ server.

In the site creator, on the editor page where you want to insert an image, click on the image button.

Another window opens (Image properties). Click on the button 'View server' or similar.

Yet another window opens (FCKEditor). Upload your image from your computer to this folder. Click on the uploaded image you want to use and in the previous window you will see a preview. Close the FCK editor window as you have now uploaded and selected the image.

Adapt the size if necessary in the Image properties window although you can also drag the size in the main editor window. Close the image property window by clicking OK. Your image is now inserted in the editor!
Save the edited page and publish your website again.

HTH
Anjo

www.your-translation.eu

[Edited at 2006-06-19 12:39]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dummy's questions about webpage uploading

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »