Luca Ruella
Luca Ruella  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 27, 2018

Hello,

I have had my email and website hosted on proz for 10 years, however I now want to move at least the email to another service.

I am however clueless about which steps need to be taken.

Can anybody advise?

Thanks in advance

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Depends on what you want to accomplish Jan 28, 2018

Based on my experience, I would first try setting up my email under my own domain name. To do that:

1) Pick a domain name that is short and easy to remember or pronounce. Don't be afraid to use a whimsical word or a made-up word. For instance, Ostrich.
2) You'll have to go to a service provider that sells domain names, rents server space for email services, etc. There are dozens. I use bluehost. I had used Godaddy as well.
3) For an email address, go with rule 1 a
... See more
Based on my experience, I would first try setting up my email under my own domain name. To do that:

1) Pick a domain name that is short and easy to remember or pronounce. Don't be afraid to use a whimsical word or a made-up word. For instance, Ostrich.
2) You'll have to go to a service provider that sells domain names, rents server space for email services, etc. There are dozens. I use bluehost. I had used Godaddy as well.
3) For an email address, go with rule 1 above. Keep it short and simple, but not cryptic. Nobody would care for someone whose email is like “[email protected]” because it looks like spam.
4) If you decide to use a service to host your website, I'd suggest Wordpress, but it's not the only game in town.

Good luck!
Collapse

Luca Ruella
United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks but not my question Jan 28, 2018

Mario Chavez wrote:

3) For an email address, go with rule 1 above. Keep it short and simple, but not cryptic. Nobody would care for someone whose email is like “[email protected]” because it looks like spam.
4) If you decide to use a service to host your website, I'd suggest Wordpress, but it's not the only game in town.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply but that's not what I need.

I already have my domain name, website and everything.

What I don't know what to do is the technical steps to move hosting to another SP

James Hodges
James Hodges  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 02:46
Japanese to English
New Hosting Arrangements Jan 29, 2018

Where is your domain currently residing? Do they have any guides for moving across to another service provider? It depends on what service you intend shifting to, however, if you are still undecided you might like to shop around a little with the inquiries desks of major hosting companies. For example, before talking about money and contracts with them, ask them about the mechanics of switching your domain across. That should at least give you some idea of where to start the process. It will als... See more
Where is your domain currently residing? Do they have any guides for moving across to another service provider? It depends on what service you intend shifting to, however, if you are still undecided you might like to shop around a little with the inquiries desks of major hosting companies. For example, before talking about money and contracts with them, ask them about the mechanics of switching your domain across. That should at least give you some idea of where to start the process. It will also give you some idea of what you need to do to say goodbye to your current service provider.

Best of luck.
Collapse

Luca Ruella
United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Moving hosting from Proz to a new service Jan 29, 2018

James Hodges wrote:

Where is your domain currently residing? Do they have any guides for moving across to another service provider? It depends on what service you intend shifting to, however, if you are still undecided you might like to shop around a little with the inquiries desks of major hosting companies. For example, before talking about money and contracts with them, ask them about the mechanics of switching your domain across. That should at least give you some idea of where to start the process. It will also give you some idea of what you need to do to say goodbye to your current service provider.

Best of luck.

As the title of this topic states, my hosting is on Proz.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Domain registrar and website host Jan 30, 2018

There are two issues here: who is your domain registrar and who is your website host.

For email, your domain registrar has a MX record, which you set to point to the website host, so that email servers know where to send your mail. You can change hosts without changing registrar, simply by pointing your MX record to the new host.

If you want to change domain registrars you have to instruct your existing registrar to release your domain, then tell your new registrar to t
... See more
There are two issues here: who is your domain registrar and who is your website host.

For email, your domain registrar has a MX record, which you set to point to the website host, so that email servers know where to send your mail. You can change hosts without changing registrar, simply by pointing your MX record to the new host.

If you want to change domain registrars you have to instruct your existing registrar to release your domain, then tell your new registrar to take it.

I used to have both domain registrar and website host with Proz.com but changed my host to Siteground some years ago, I think for capacity reasons. But Proz.com is still my registrar, since I saw no reason to change it.

That's a quick summary of actions you would need to take. There should be technical instructions somewhere on the websites of both sending and receiving hosts. Follow the instructions carefully, or you might end up with no email.

Also, be aware that you will probably lose all your old emails when you switch email hosts. Some email clients let you save all your emails into a backup file from which you can restore them after the move.

As you can see, it's a bit complex and you probably need to weigh over the reasons why you want to move. It might not be worth it.
Collapse

Catherine Howard
Catherine Howard
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
new hosting service usually helps Jan 31, 2018

Actually, the process of moving my website and email to a new hosting company turned out to be extremely easy; so easy, in fact, that I kicked myself for not having done it sooner To compete in a crowded market, hosting companies now make it as simple as possible by doing most of the work for you as a way; doing so attracts new customers who don't know how or can't be bothered with the mechanics. There will be a step or two you might have to do yourself, but the directions will be very clear whe... See more
Actually, the process of moving my website and email to a new hosting company turned out to be extremely easy; so easy, in fact, that I kicked myself for not having done it sooner To compete in a crowded market, hosting companies now make it as simple as possible by doing most of the work for you as a way; doing so attracts new customers who don't know how or can't be bothered with the mechanics. There will be a step or two you might have to do yourself, but the directions will be very clear when it gets to that. If they're not, their support staff will do it for you.

I appreciated getting my email through Proz way back when the internet was in its infancy, but it is not a hosting company and simply doesn't have enough staff available to help in a timely manner when problems in a member's service come up. Whereas a professional hosting company will usually respond almost immediately (or *should* - make sure what their response time promises are), I had to wait several days for a Proz member to volunteer to help. I also found that my email basically shut down during the week of free Proz events around International Translator days, since the lines were clogged with people streaming the events. I also found it annoying to have to always ask staff for an increase in the size of the space allocated to my email, another tasks that always took a lot of time.

All of which to say is, not to worry: the company you end up using will do most of the steps to take over the project. Then your worst problem will simply be writing!
Collapse

Luximar Arenas Petty
Luximar Arenas Petty  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Transferring Jan 31, 2018

I think you want to know about the transferring process. Here you can find useful info. I've used FileZilla in the past for FTP.

Hope this helps.

Luca Ruella
United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks all Jan 31, 2018

Thanks all for the contribution.

I ended up registering a new domain from scratch instead of going through the hassle of trasferring the existing one.

Cheers.

Kevin Pfeiffer (X)
Kevin Pfeiffer (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:46
German to English
+ ...
Moving on Jul 26, 2019

Catherine Howard wrote:
Actually, the process of moving my website and email to a new hosting company turned out to be extremely easy; so easy, in fact, that I kicked myself for not having done it sooner

Thanks. After waiting almost seven hours for the initial response to my latest support request (hosting down, site and mail both offline) only to have the ticket assigned to someone in Canada where the time is 3:00 a.m., I've made the decision after 15 years to cut ties, something I probably should have done some time ago.

MalteseWorks
MalteseWorks
Malta
Local time: 19:46
English to Maltese
+ ...
Easy transfers... Jul 26, 2019

To move the mail server, you need a host to accept your email.

The technical part is actually quiet easy. All you need is Outlook.

If you were using a POP3 connection, all your mail is already saved on your computer.

If you were using IMAP, just create a local copy of the email on the server, switch settings to the new provider, and copy your locally saved mail to the server.

It just takes time if you don't have a fast connection. If you requir
... See more
To move the mail server, you need a host to accept your email.

The technical part is actually quiet easy. All you need is Outlook.

If you were using a POP3 connection, all your mail is already saved on your computer.

If you were using IMAP, just create a local copy of the email on the server, switch settings to the new provider, and copy your locally saved mail to the server.

It just takes time if you don't have a fast connection. If you require further assistance, let me know
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moving hosting from Proz to a new service

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »