Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:45
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Dec 31, 2015

For about 2-3 weeks now, I am receiving a ton of spam on my hosted email account.
I have SpamAssassin turned on for the account, but it does not seem to catch them.
Many of them includes "holiday giveaway" "holiday reward" in their title.
The sender's name is the same on many of them, pl. "Dr. Oz Weight-Loss", "World Class Wine", "Sam's Club", but the actual sending address is variable.
I do not have a virus, I have all kinds of protection on my computer, and I have not
... See more
For about 2-3 weeks now, I am receiving a ton of spam on my hosted email account.
I have SpamAssassin turned on for the account, but it does not seem to catch them.
Many of them includes "holiday giveaway" "holiday reward" in their title.
The sender's name is the same on many of them, pl. "Dr. Oz Weight-Loss", "World Class Wine", "Sam's Club", but the actual sending address is variable.
I do not have a virus, I have all kinds of protection on my computer, and I have not changed my e-mail habits.
Yet, the spam is over a 100 emails per day now.

Is there anybody else experiencing this?
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 03:45
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
They will stop eventually Dec 31, 2015

You only happen to be on their list now. Do not answer and they'll soon forget about you. I hope!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:45
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mailwasher Dec 31, 2015

I have been receiving spam for many years. About 3 years ago, my ISP put measures in place to fight spam, and they are working quite well. However, I somehow prefer to let spam get through to me so that I can make sure no genuine email gets lost.

Today I receive about five spam messages every day, and I easily spot them and report them (to Spamcop) by means of a tool called Mailwasher, by Firetrust. This tool uses heuristics and blacklists to mark spam very quickly, and even delete
... See more
I have been receiving spam for many years. About 3 years ago, my ISP put measures in place to fight spam, and they are working quite well. However, I somehow prefer to let spam get through to me so that I can make sure no genuine email gets lost.

Today I receive about five spam messages every day, and I easily spot them and report them (to Spamcop) by means of a tool called Mailwasher, by Firetrust. This tool uses heuristics and blacklists to mark spam very quickly, and even delete it automatically if you wish. It can be configured very easily to report spammers to Spamcop in a matter of seconds. I encourage you to give it a try.
Collapse

Harry Blake Paz Bonzano
Harry Blake Paz Bonzano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2014)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Many solutions Dec 31, 2015

You can apply many solutions depending on how those emails are done.

1. Contact the email hosting company and explain your situation. They will help you for sure.
2. If you recognize a common sender you may add that address as a spam, but I guess you already did that.
3. If you see at the bottom of the email an option to unsubscribe to that series of messages, you can unsubscribe. Before that, be sure to see that that link is reliable and is strictly pertinent to the ser
... See more
You can apply many solutions depending on how those emails are done.

1. Contact the email hosting company and explain your situation. They will help you for sure.
2. If you recognize a common sender you may add that address as a spam, but I guess you already did that.
3. If you see at the bottom of the email an option to unsubscribe to that series of messages, you can unsubscribe. Before that, be sure to see that that link is reliable and is strictly pertinent to the series of messages you are receiving. You may perform the unsubscription for more channels, like the ones you were mentioning ("Dr. Oz Weight-Loss", "World Class Wine", "Sam's Club").
Be very careful on this one.
5. You can ignore the messages and eventually be ignored by them, just like Heinrich wrote.
6. Track the sender by googling it and look for "contact us" or similar if they have a website. Write them that you are receiving unrequested emails.

Time ago my father received hundreds of mails coming from one channel, apparently they got his email and then started sending him every answer and advertising of that channel. I wrote them an email explaining the situation and they kindly deleted his email from their channel. No more messages arrived to his mail box.

I hope this help.
Collapse

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 09:45
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Dange of "Unsubscribe" link Dec 31, 2015

Harry Blake Paz Bonzano wrote:

3. If you see at the bottom of the email an option to unsubscribe to that series of messages, you can unsubscribe. Before that, be sure to see that that link is reliable and is strictly pertinent to the series of messages you are receiving. You may perform the unsubscription for more channels, like the ones you were mentioning ("Dr. Oz Weight-Loss", "World Class Wine", "Sam's Club").
Be very careful on this one.

Clicking on the "unsubscribe" is not a solution, but will become part of the problem.
It will recognize that that particular email account is working, and they will send you more spams or even phishing mails. Never, ever click on the unsubscribe link to those spam mails.

Harry Blake Paz Bonzano
Harry Blake Paz Bonzano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2014)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Not necessarily but of course it is not recommended Dec 31, 2015

I did it many times because I knew what I was doing, that is why I was suggesting to be very careful in checking the origin of the link before clicking.
By doing it I was able to cancel many unrequested subscriptions.

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but nobody answered the question Dec 31, 2015

Thanks guys for all the suggestion on how to deal with spam that already arrived to my email box, but I already know that.
My email (and domain) is hosted by ProZ, that is why I asked here, on the hosting forum.
My question was, if anybody else who also has his/her email hosted by ProZ experienced a sharp increase in spam in the past 2-3 weeks.
I had practically none in the past on my hosted email, SpamAssassin (run by ProZ) took care of filtering the spam, but now it d
... See more
Thanks guys for all the suggestion on how to deal with spam that already arrived to my email box, but I already know that.
My email (and domain) is hosted by ProZ, that is why I asked here, on the hosting forum.
My question was, if anybody else who also has his/her email hosted by ProZ experienced a sharp increase in spam in the past 2-3 weeks.
I had practically none in the past on my hosted email, SpamAssassin (run by ProZ) took care of filtering the spam, but now it does not seem to work.

I have other email addresses with outher ISPs and I get spam there regularly, but my Proz-hosted email was pretty clean up until now. (And I am talking more then 10 years.) Hence the question.
Collapse

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 09:45
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
@Katalin-san Jan 1, 2016

Have you already submitted a support ticket?

Since you're talking about a an email hosted by Proz, maybe Proz could sort this problem out for you.

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I have submitted a ticket, but no reply yet Jan 1, 2016

I asked here because wanted to know if it is an isolated issue limited to my email account, or a more wide-spread problem.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sharp increase in spam on hosted email

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »