Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
My ProZ.com "My Files" (beta)--what is this feature?
Thread poster: Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
May 19, 2009

I just discovered a My Files (beta) on the drop-down menu for MyProZ.com. I have searched the site without luck to try to find out what this feature does.

I'm considering buying on-line storage to back up my files (my memory stick is acting up), and so I'd like to know if I can store files in "My Files". If I can, is it secure or can anyone access those files? I was very surprised to see that someone had placed a file in *my* My Files, but without asking for permission or telling me
... See more
I just discovered a My Files (beta) on the drop-down menu for MyProZ.com. I have searched the site without luck to try to find out what this feature does.

I'm considering buying on-line storage to back up my files (my memory stick is acting up), and so I'd like to know if I can store files in "My Files". If I can, is it secure or can anyone access those files? I was very surprised to see that someone had placed a file in *my* My Files, but without asking for permission or telling me it was there (I'm sure an innocent mistake), but it made me wonder about security.

In short, how can I learn about this feature?

Thanks much!
Patricia
Collapse

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:18
German to English
I'm puzzled about it too May 20, 2009

After reading Patricia's post, I checked my "My Files" option and found that I had received two files in September and October 2008 from an outsourcer I'd never heard from. In case there was a chance of collaboration, it's probably too late now for me to take it up as the agency must have found another translator.

Would it be possible to get an e-mail alert if files are sent to us in this manner? Ideally, the outsourcer should contact the translator first and go through all the pre
... See more
After reading Patricia's post, I checked my "My Files" option and found that I had received two files in September and October 2008 from an outsourcer I'd never heard from. In case there was a chance of collaboration, it's probably too late now for me to take it up as the agency must have found another translator.

Would it be possible to get an e-mail alert if files are sent to us in this manner? Ideally, the outsourcer should contact the translator first and go through all the preliminaries, and not just send files without letting us know.
Collapse

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:48
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
Who is Dennis? May 20, 2009

I just looked at "My Files" and found 7 files there! Most of them were sent to me without any comments; would outsourcers send files without any information? Only two of them came with comments, but one of the comments starts with "Hello Dennis, I'd like a quote for translating the site copy attached in this document into Greek. ..." My name isn't Dennis. Weird... very weird...

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Weird is right! May 20, 2009

Hello, Maria and Nijara,

At least Maria got a note explaining something. Truly, there must be a bug!

But why hasn't the ProZ community been alerted to this "feature"? I can't find anything about it!

(And fwiw the person who sent the file -- who seems like a very professional ProZ member -- sent it in 2008, not recently!)

Something's not right.

Tomorrow, I'll submit a support ticket.

Thanks for letting me know I'm no
... See more
Hello, Maria and Nijara,

At least Maria got a note explaining something. Truly, there must be a bug!

But why hasn't the ProZ community been alerted to this "feature"? I can't find anything about it!

(And fwiw the person who sent the file -- who seems like a very professional ProZ member -- sent it in 2008, not recently!)

Something's not right.

Tomorrow, I'll submit a support ticket.

Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone...

Patrica
Collapse

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 05:48
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Count me in too May 20, 2009

After reading this thread, I checked the "My Files" tab, and there were about 7 files sent to me in 2008 which I don't even recall. You're not alone, Patricia.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 17:48
SITE STAFF
"My Files" section is related to the "Send file" feature May 20, 2009

Hello all,

The "My Files" area you are seeing is related to the "Send file" feature, which was announced some time ago-- you can read more about it in this thread. To send a work-related file, glossary, TM, contract, invoice, etc., all you have to do is click on the "Send file" link at the top of the profile to which you wish to send. The files you have received and sent are stored under the "My Files" section.
... See more
Hello all,

The "My Files" area you are seeing is related to the "Send file" feature, which was announced some time ago-- you can read more about it in this thread. To send a work-related file, glossary, TM, contract, invoice, etc., all you have to do is click on the "Send file" link at the top of the profile to which you wish to send. The files you have received and sent are stored under the "My Files" section.

Maria, regarding the mysterious Dennis, this may have been an accidentally sent file. If you can submit a support request with the details a member of staff should be able to verify this. Thanks.

Best regards,

Jared
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
storage? May 20, 2009

Jared wrote:

To send a work-related file, glossary, TM, contract, invoice, etc., all you have to do is click on the "Send file" link at the top of the profile to which you wish to send. The files you have received and sent are stored under the "My Files" section.

Jared,

Thanks for clearing that up (although you should know that the file that is there, in my case, was one that was never intentionally sent to me and I think that's worrisome (I'll submit a tix). Is there a way to delete it?

Is it possible to send the file to myself so I'd have a copy stored at ProZ? Is there any objection to my doing that to back up certain files? Is there a 7 day limit (which I thought I saw mentioned in the thread you referenced?

Thanks,
Patricia

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Sure can! May 20, 2009

Hi Patricia,

Sure you can. Here's another thread which covers this: http://www.proz.com/topic/107098

For files uploaded through the "My Files" interface there is no time limit.

I'll make sure some FAQs get added on all this, so you don't have to go on a wild thread chase to find out about them in the future......
See more
Hi Patricia,

Sure you can. Here's another thread which covers this: http://www.proz.com/topic/107098

For files uploaded through the "My Files" interface there is no time limit.

I'll make sure some FAQs get added on all this, so you don't have to go on a wild thread chase to find out about them in the future...

Best regards,

Jared
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
super! May 20, 2009

Jared wrote:

I'll make sure some FAQs get added on all this, so you don't have to go on a wild thread chase to find out about them in the future...

Best regards,

Jared

That would be sweet, Jared! Thanks!!

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:18
German to English
E-mail alerts May 20, 2009

Hi Jared,

Are we supposed to get e-mail alerts when files are sent to us, or are they sent directly to our e-mail addresses, because neither of the two happened with the two files I mentioned in my previous post, sent in September/October 2008. That's why I didn't know about them.

Thanks for clarifying.

Best regards,
Niraja

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:48
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
details May 20, 2009

Jared wrote:
Maria, regarding the mysterious Dennis, this may have been an accidentally sent file. If you can submit a support request with the details a member of staff should be able to verify this. Thanks.

Jared, I don't have any more details than you can get yourself by logging in as me and looking at My Files. I'm sure you can, given that many support-ticket answers I get from staff start with "Hi Maria, I logged in as you and...". So go ahead, take a look if you want to know whether files were sent to me by accident; personally I don't care much, I'm not interested in using this feature.
Maria

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Notification should be sent May 20, 2009

Yes, Niraja, you should receive some sort of notification that a file has been sent to you. I just tried sending one to myself and did not receive notice. Let me dig around a bit and if necessary I will ask a developer to fix this. Thanks.

Best regards,

Jared

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
SECURITY?? May 20, 2009

Jared,

I submitted a support ticket, but my question about the security of the "My Files" feature didn't get answered:

I will request a developer to check on the delete option.
Dear Patricia,

I see that this issue is already being addressed by Jared here http://www.proz.com/topic/135526 .

Regarding the "delete" option I will req
... See more
Jared,

I submitted a support ticket, but my question about the security of the "My Files" feature didn't get answered:

I will request a developer to check on the delete option.
Dear Patricia,

I see that this issue is already being addressed by Jared here http://www.proz.com/topic/135526 .

Regarding the "delete" option I will request a developer to have it added.

I am closing this request for now.

So, can you shed some light on how files that weren't sent to me (and others) landed in our accounts? Are the files that we store there secure or can others access them?

Thanks again,
Patricia
Collapse

Lisa Scudieri (X)
Lisa Scudieri (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:48
Italian to English
+ ...
Will you let us know? May 20, 2009

Hi Jared
Will you let us know when this has been fixed please? I've just noticed (thanks to everyone posting in this forum) that I too was sent a file by an outsourcer I've never worked with before (back in March) with no notification or explanation regarding why it was sent. I'm just wondering how many proz. members this has happened to, including those who haven't realized it yet? You do offer a lot of functions to members - I'm not complaining, just the opposite - and what with workload
... See more
Hi Jared
Will you let us know when this has been fixed please? I've just noticed (thanks to everyone posting in this forum) that I too was sent a file by an outsourcer I've never worked with before (back in March) with no notification or explanation regarding why it was sent. I'm just wondering how many proz. members this has happened to, including those who haven't realized it yet? You do offer a lot of functions to members - I'm not complaining, just the opposite - and what with workloads and life in general, it sometimes takes me a while before I can "check them out". Do you think it's worth notifying members in a more high profile manner, maybe via e-mail, so that those members who haven't been able to catch this thread and aren't necessarily aware of this function at least have a chance to check this hasn't happened to them too?
Collapse

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
The files you upload or send will be accessible only to you and/or the recipient May 20, 2009

Hi Patricia,

Sorry about that, and I've just updated your support request as well. I had a look, and the file you mention was actually sent to you. The files you upload or send will be accessible only to you and/or the recipient, yes.

Keep in mind that one of the uses of the send file feature is to send either work files (files to be translated) and the like. Files may be sent through Connect job posts and messages for this purpose. Chances are that files you see as re
... See more
Hi Patricia,

Sorry about that, and I've just updated your support request as well. I had a look, and the file you mention was actually sent to you. The files you upload or send will be accessible only to you and/or the recipient, yes.

Keep in mind that one of the uses of the send file feature is to send either work files (files to be translated) and the like. Files may be sent through Connect job posts and messages for this purpose. Chances are that files you see as received were files which came along with those offers.

Thanks for pointing out the lack of option to delete received files, by the way. I see this has already entered the development queue, and I'll let you know when it has been implemented.

Jared
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My ProZ.com "My Files" (beta)--what is this feature?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »