Thread poster: Adam Warren
Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:47
Member (2005)
French to English
Feb 13, 2009

I run Mozilla Thunderbird on Windows, which I prefer to Outlook. Must I install the latter in order to handle mail to my hosted website?

If I can continue using Thunderbird, could I please be pointed to the relevant configuring information?

To conclude, I should like to say how appreciative I am of the prompt attention to the recent support request concerning my website.

With kind regards,... See more
I run Mozilla Thunderbird on Windows, which I prefer to Outlook. Must I install the latter in order to handle mail to my hosted website?

If I can continue using Thunderbird, could I please be pointed to the relevant configuring information?

To conclude, I should like to say how appreciative I am of the prompt attention to the recent support request concerning my website.

With kind regards,

Adam Warren (IanDhu - 41189)
Collapse

Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:47
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Stay with Thunderbird Feb 13, 2009

See here:
http://products.secureserver.net/email/email_thunderbird.htm

Ask your host for configuration info.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:47
English to French
+ ...
Asking your host for configuration info Feb 13, 2009

I did that as well - I had my reasons to prefer other software to Outlook. My ISP replied that support was only offered for Microsoft products! I tried a lot of things, and I never managed to get my e-mail account to work under Thunderbird. So, now I'm stuck with Outlook.

Another problem that may prevent you from using a different e-mail client is that software editors still seem to think that Outlook is a universal standard and they write software for Outlook (although it seems tha
... See more
I did that as well - I had my reasons to prefer other software to Outlook. My ISP replied that support was only offered for Microsoft products! I tried a lot of things, and I never managed to get my e-mail account to work under Thunderbird. So, now I'm stuck with Outlook.

Another problem that may prevent you from using a different e-mail client is that software editors still seem to think that Outlook is a universal standard and they write software for Outlook (although it seems that Thunderbird is now somewhat present in software developers' minds). I have found several very useful applications and add-ons - but they only work with Outlook, for the most part. So, again, I have to use Outlook. Nelson Email Organizer ( www.caelo.com - awesome for keeping on top of e-mail) is one such piece of software. I am extremely happy with it, but it is only compatible with Outlook.
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:47
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Thunderbird is fine, stick with it Feb 13, 2009

I have my website hosted here,on ProZ, and my email as well.
I am a happy user of Thunderbird, no problem.
The configuration is not tricky at all, I use POP.
I would give you the settings, but they depend on your chosen domain name and email account name.
I am sure ProZ tech support can tell you the settings, if not, send me a note.
Katalin

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:47
Member (2005)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Katalin, Viktoria and Spiros Feb 13, 2009

I'm actually very happy with Thunderbird too. I managed to configure it to take mail from my ISP, but I am a little floored by the transition to my ProZ-hosted e-mail site.

I guess I'd better tinker around with the Thunderbird instructions to which Spiros very kindly gave me the link. I've pasted the bookmark to them on my Firefox toolbar.

If I can't singlehandedly fix the mail using Thunderbird, I daresay I can get that hardworking ProZ Support team to give me a hand.
... See more
I'm actually very happy with Thunderbird too. I managed to configure it to take mail from my ISP, but I am a little floored by the transition to my ProZ-hosted e-mail site.

I guess I'd better tinker around with the Thunderbird instructions to which Spiros very kindly gave me the link. I've pasted the bookmark to them on my Firefox toolbar.

If I can't singlehandedly fix the mail using Thunderbird, I daresay I can get that hardworking ProZ Support team to give me a hand. They've been not only kind and helpful, but prompt.

Have a good weekend, all of you and again, thank you.

With kind regards,

Adam.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

e-mail client: is Outlook inevitable?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »