Does ProZ.com hosting use PHP5 and mySQL?
Thread poster: Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)
Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)
Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Finnish
+ ...
Jan 30, 2009

My web designer bother asked me to find out whether Proz hosting uses PHP5 and mySQL (required by the publishing application called Drupal). Could someone confirm this please?

I'm a complete idiot when it comes to web design and hosting!!

Thank you.
Kind regards,
Minna

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-02-04 11:48 GMT]

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:43
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Content Management Systems (CMS) Jan 30, 2009

This is how Drupal and others are called.

ProZ.com hosting currently uses:
PHP version 4.4.7
MySQL version 4.1.22-standard

I'm currently using Wordpress on my ProZ.com hosted translation website, it works perfectly. However I had tried to install Joomla and the more recent versions were much too big for the hosting size. The simpler Wordpress is more than enough for a translator's website though. As far as I know Drupal is small sized too.

An
... See more
This is how Drupal and others are called.

ProZ.com hosting currently uses:
PHP version 4.4.7
MySQL version 4.1.22-standard

I'm currently using Wordpress on my ProZ.com hosted translation website, it works perfectly. However I had tried to install Joomla and the more recent versions were much too big for the hosting size. The simpler Wordpress is more than enough for a translator's website though. As far as I know Drupal is small sized too.

Another thing to check is the RAM, I can't find the info but this can be important for some CMS. From what I see here http://drupal.org/requirements 16Mb is required for the most recent versions.

I had chosen Joomla and Wordpress over their competitors because there is a very large variety of skins with those two ("Joomla templates" and "Wordpress themes") - but obviously the choice depends on what you're looking for.

Florence

[Edited at 2009-01-30 23:41 GMT]
Collapse

Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:43
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Drupal works with PHP 4 Jan 31, 2009

Note: Drupal works with PHP 4 & 5. If you need support for the newest PHP 5.2, however, you must use Drupal 6.0 (and higher) or Drupal 5.1 (and higher)

http://drupal.org/project/Drupal%20project

Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)
Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Feb 4, 2009

Thank you Spiros and Florence for the information. I have forwarded it to my brother.

Minna

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does ProZ.com hosting use PHP5 and mySQL?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »