Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Oct 11, 2008

I am tearing my hair out and hope I someone out there can help me. A few weeks ago, I post this and no one responded:

***On September 17, I submitted a support ticket asking if one of the ProZ.com mail servers had had a glitch. The motive for this yes/no question arose in August when a client e-mailed me for 10 days; I didn't get any of the messages until the 14th day, when they all arrived en masse. A week later, the same thing happened with a friend (27 messages from a two-week p
... See more
I am tearing my hair out and hope I someone out there can help me. A few weeks ago, I post this and no one responded:

***On September 17, I submitted a support ticket asking if one of the ProZ.com mail servers had had a glitch. The motive for this yes/no question arose in August when a client e-mailed me for 10 days; I didn't get any of the messages until the 14th day, when they all arrived en masse. A week later, the same thing happened with a friend (27 messages from a two-week period all arrived at the same moment). ***

I still haven't had a response despite submitting a second ticket, writing twice to the original ticket, and writing to the site staff member who manages the hosting program.

Yesterday, I learned again of undelivered messages, and this morning, puzzled that I had no messages from ProZ, I checked, and I ought to have had a dozen or so KudoZ notifications.

What can I do? I'm so concerned that clients are writing to me and I'm not getting the messages!

Help, please!

TIA!
Patricia
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:15
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Check your volume... Oct 11, 2008

I had a similar experience...

When I created my site I have used (more to test it than to really use it) the script available in the tools in the cPanel to make a guestbook. I have not given it a second thought (in fact, I have forgotten about it completely!), until one day I have stopped received any mail at all. As I have subscribed to several services, I knew something was wrong...

It turned out that my account has been compromised (probably due to my error). In othe
... See more
I had a similar experience...

When I created my site I have used (more to test it than to really use it) the script available in the tools in the cPanel to make a guestbook. I have not given it a second thought (in fact, I have forgotten about it completely!), until one day I have stopped received any mail at all. As I have subscribed to several services, I knew something was wrong...

It turned out that my account has been compromised (probably due to my error). In other words, someone had an access to my account and uploaded some junk there. I would not have noticed it anyway, but the stuff and my mail combined exhausted all the space on my volume. That is why no mail came through (it was retained on the server, though).

I have filed a support ticket, changed the password and apparently the situation has been resolved. Nothing wrong happened since then...

Please note that I am not suggesting that your account has been hacked - it is enough that your files are taking almost all the space... Then any larger incoming message might block your account and no mail will come through until some space is cleared.
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
thanks ... Oct 11, 2008

Jabberwock,

I'll definitely go take a look through CPanel, but I have set the system to remove all messages from the server one day after they are downloaded, so I will be surprised if there is a backlog that's jamming up things...

Best,
Patricia

I just checked, and there was only one message in the in-box, and one in the sent folder, both of which I've now deleted and purged.

[Edited at 2008-10-11 15:29]

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:15
English to German
+ ...
Test it Oct 11, 2008

Patricia Rosas wrote:

What can I do? I'm so concerned that clients are writing to me and I'm not getting the messages!

The number of things which can go wrong usually exceeds the number of things which can be imagined..

To get your daily peace of mind, you could use any free email provider as well as ProZ.com mail (when you are not logged in), to send emails to yourself to verify that they will come through immediately.

Best,
Harry

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:15
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Files Oct 11, 2008

Check the volume your files actually take. In cPanel you can see it in the table on the left - „Disk Space Usage” and „Disk space available”.

For example, I am using about 30 MB (but I do have some files I put there) and about 70 MB is available now, which is plenty for any mail.

Patricia Rosas
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
thank you, Jabberwock Oct 18, 2008

I did as instructed, and I think you may be right, I only have 40 megabytes. I'll see if I can find any files to delete, but also, do you happen to know if we can request more space?

Thanks again for your time!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Not getting mail reliably from ProZ.com

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »