Han Li
Han Li  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 12:17
English to Chinese
+ ...
Sep 17, 2008

Hi colleagues,
About half years ago, I registered a domain name in Proz, the address is www.dtptranslate.com, and I design the pages myself after I can access to the server, all of them seems OK before last Sunday. I re-design the pages last Sunday and upload them to the server, but I can see nothing when I type the address in IE or Safari. However, the pages are OK in my computer. I don’t know what�
... See more
Hi colleagues,
About half years ago, I registered a domain name in Proz, the address is www.dtptranslate.com, and I design the pages myself after I can access to the server, all of them seems OK before last Sunday. I re-design the pages last Sunday and upload them to the server, but I can see nothing when I type the address in IE or Safari. However, the pages are OK in my computer. I don’t know what’s wrong with it.
I also have submitted a ticket on Sunday, but the problem is still not being solved. Do you have encountered this problem? Could anybody know how to solve it?
Thanks in advance!

I also want to know how many days your problems be sovled after you submit a ticket in Proz.

Best regards,
Han Li

[Edited at 2008-09-17 14:23]
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:17
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Copy files into Public.html file Sep 17, 2008

Did you upload the new files into the "public_html" folder? Click on the public_html folder and then upload the new files.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 23:17
Spanish
+ ...
www Sep 17, 2008

In my case, it's the 'www' folder that's public.

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:17
English to Polish
+ ...
Broken HTML code Sep 17, 2008

Han Li wrote:

Hi colleagues,
About half years ago, I registered a domain name in Proz, the address is www.dtptranslate.com, and I design the pages myself after I can access to the server, all of them seems OK before last Sunday. I re-design the pages last Sunday and upload them to the server, but I can see nothing when I type the address in IE or Safari. However, the pages are OK in my computer. I don’t know what’s wrong with it.
I also have submitted a ticket on Sunday, but the problem is still not being solved. Do you have encountered this problem? Could anybody know how to solve it?
Thanks in advance!

I also want to know how many days your problems be sovled after you submit a ticket in Proz.

Best regards,
Han Li

[Edited at 2008-09-17 14:23]

Hi Han,

Basically the source code of your page is broken. You used MS Word or Frontpage to write your page. Not a very good idea. These tools insert MS specific stuff which isn't understood by every browser. Many people use MSIE, true, but quite a lot of people use other browsers.

I can see the opening tag of the style element, but I can't see the closing one. That is why style related text can be seen in the contents of your page in addition to Chinese text.

If you must use a Wysiwyg program to author your page, I'd suggest using OpenOffice.org Writer. It will do a much better job of producing correct HTML code.

Hope this helps,

Piotr

Han Li
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 18, 2008

Thanks you Jeff!
I do upload the files into the folder, but it's not work.

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

Did you upload the new files into the "public_html" folder? Click on the public_html folder and then upload the new files.

Han Li
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 18, 2008

Thank you for your good advice, Piotr!
Yes, I use Microsoft Web Expression to write my page, it's an upgrade edition of Frontpage.
In fact, the first version was also writed with Web Expression and it's OK after I uploaded them to the server.
I will rewrite my page with DreamWare. I will also try to use OpenOffice Writer.
Thanks again……

Regards,
Han Li

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:
Hi Han,

Basically the source code of your page is broken. You used MS Word or Frontpage to write your page. Not a very good idea. These tools insert MS specific stuff which isn't understood by every browser. Many people use MSIE, true, but quite a lot of people use other browsers.

I can see the opening tag of the style element, but I can't see the closing one. That is why style related text can be seen in the contents of your page in addition to Chinese text.

If you must use a Wysiwyg program to author your page, I'd suggest using OpenOffice.org Writer. It will do a much better job of producing correct HTML code.

Hope this helps,

Piotr

Han Li
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you everyone! Sep 19, 2008

Now my website is OK. I rewrite it with DreamWeaver CS3 and upload the pages again.
But the pages seem fine in IE, not in Safari; the layout is a little changed in Safari.
I am not sure whether or not it will display correctly in other OS and/or Explorer. Could anyone tell me where I can test the site?
Thanks!

Regards,
Han Li
www.dtptranslate.com

[Edited at 20
... See more
Now my website is OK. I rewrite it with DreamWeaver CS3 and upload the pages again.
But the pages seem fine in IE, not in Safari; the layout is a little changed in Safari.
I am not sure whether or not it will display correctly in other OS and/or Explorer. Could anyone tell me where I can test the site?
Thanks!

Regards,
Han Li
www.dtptranslate.com

[Edited at 2008-09-19 13:44]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help, my website is blank when I upload the re-designed pages

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »