Discussion about Poetry with a tune: "Translation of Lyrics" in English to Arabic - Entry #14830

This discussion belongs to ProZ.com contests - discussion of individual entries » "Discussion about Poetry with a tune: "Translation of Lyrics" in English to Arabic - Entry #14830".
You can see the ProZ.com contests - discussion of individual entries page and participate in this discussion from there.

Marcelle Nassif
Marcelle Nassif  Identity Verified
Lebanon
English to Arabic
+ ...
Great translation Feb 13, 2014

Certainly not an easy text to translate but the Arabic translation came out as smooth and poetic as can be. Bravo Noura!

Morano El-Kholy
Morano El-Kholy  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 15:59
Member (2011)
English to Arabic
+ ...
CONGRATULATIONS. Feb 14, 2014

A very great work and a big exerted effort.

Congratulations...

Hoping all the best for you my dear colleague Noura in your future career.

Kindest regards.

yelhajj
yelhajj
Local time: 17:59
English to Arabic
+ ...
My version of the first part Feb 17, 2014

I was late to enter a translation, but I think when translating a poem, the translator shall add a bit of his own imagination to give the poem a twist and make it more appealing to the native reader.

Here is my Arabic version of the first part, what do you think?

على وقع صوت صباح الأحد
أفقت بألم يصدع رأسي يهد الجسد
وكأس نبيذ كان فطوري، ولذ طعاماً
فحليت بعد الفطور بثانٍ علاه الزبد

Noura Tawil
Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 16:59
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
A Late Thank You! Aug 31, 2014

Dear Marcelle and Morano,
I have no idea how did I miss this thread since the "February 2014 Translation Contest", and only came across it now as I was looking for something in the forums!

My deepest appreciation for your sweet words, thank you!

Indeed, the text was challenging, and all the historical dilemmas about translating poetry & lyrics were present in my mind during every step of the way. It took me almost two days of work to "
... See more
Dear Marcelle and Morano,
I have no idea how did I miss this thread since the "February 2014 Translation Contest", and only came across it now as I was looking for something in the forums!

My deepest appreciation for your sweet words, thank you!

Indeed, the text was challenging, and all the historical dilemmas about translating poetry & lyrics were present in my mind during every step of the way. It took me almost two days of work to "compose" the translation, preceded by several days of listening to all the song versions that I could find on the internet, absorbing the soul of the song, and thinking, then rethinking, of the possible translations that would be best to keep an acceptable balance between accuracy and quality. The song was still playing in my mind several days after submitting my entry, and I was affected by a blackish mood!

I never felt it was finished, to be honest. And kept trying to improve it until the last few minutes

Thanks again for all who rated and voted professionally and honestly, and to all the colleagues who voted for me

Best wishes,
Noura
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Discussion about Poetry with a tune: "Translation of Lyrics" in English to Arabic - Entry #14830

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »