Information for all Powwows
Thread poster: Jason
Dec 1, 2001

Note: Some additional questions are answered on the Info sidebar on the main Powwow Board:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=event/powwow_board

Answers to the most frequently asked questions:

Where should the Powwow be held?

This is up to you. Possibilities include restaurants, coffee houses, or even a house party. Choosing a c
... See more
Note: Some additional questions are answered on the Info sidebar on the main Powwow Board:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=event/powwow_board

Answers to the most frequently asked questions:

Where should the Powwow be held?

This is up to you. Possibilities include restaurants, coffee houses, or even a house party. Choosing a central, convenient location is key. You can get feedback on suggested locations by posting on your Powwow\'s posting board, and selecting \"post and mail\" to send the message to everyone.

What is this I\'ve read about a prepared statement from ProZ.com?

You will be asked to read a short prepared statement from ProZ.com at the beginning of the Powwow. This statement will be sent to you by email at least a day in advance of the Powwow.

Do all Powwows need to conduct ProZ.com Native Speaker (PNS) interviews?

No. Only a few Powwows are offering PNS interviews. If your Powwow is more than a month away and you\'re interested in conducting PNS interviews, please let us know.

How is attendance taken?

Please print and use the attendance form here:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=event/powwow_attendance_sheet

Every person in attendance, including the organizer, should add his or her details to the form. For the column labelled \"ProZ ID\", the number associated with the person\'s ProZ.com profile should be entered. If the person is a ProZ.com member, but the number is unknown, enter a question mark. If the person is not a ProZ.com member, enter \"Not member\".

How is identity verification done?

ProZ.com powwows provide an opportunity for member identities to be verified. The site organizer should ask those interested in identity verification to show photo ID. If the name shown on the photo ID is the same as the name entered on the form, the site organizer should write his or her name in the \"Identity verified by\" column. If the organizer wishes to have his/her own identity verified, he/she should show photo ID to another guest (one who is registered with ProZ.com and has provided photo ID), who may then enter his/her name in the \"Identity verified by\" column.

Other questions

Please post other questions and general Powwow organization discussion in this forum, and you\'ll (hopefully ) get answers. You may also submit a Support Request ( http://www.proz.com/?sp=requests/index ).

Thanks!,

Jason

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-12-01 18:46 ]
Collapse

Carla Zwanenberg
Carla Zwanenberg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:17
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
No Native Speaker Interviews on 15 December? Dec 2, 2001

Hi Jason,

Does this mean that it will definitely not be possible to offer PNS interviews on 15 December? Some of the members who are planning to attend the Dutch powwow will be disappointed when hearing this, they already let me know that they wanted to apply for PNS certification…

Regards,

Carla

Quote:

On 2001-12-01 17:09, Zone wrote:

Do all P... See more
Hi Jason,

Does this mean that it will definitely not be possible to offer PNS interviews on 15 December? Some of the members who are planning to attend the Dutch powwow will be disappointed when hearing this, they already let me know that they wanted to apply for PNS certification…

Regards,

Carla

Quote:

On 2001-12-01 17:09, Zone wrote:

Do all Powwows need to conduct ProZ.com Native Speaker (PNS) interviews?

No. Only a few Powwows are offering PNS interviews. If your Powwow is more than a month away and you\'re interested in conducting PNS interviews, please let us know.

Collapse

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:17
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
What about renewing memberships? Dec 2, 2001

Can members renew their membership at the Powwow meeting? Who will be in charge of this, ex. the organizer, a representative from ProZ, etc? I would like to know more details on this please.

Monika

Organizer of the Denver Powwow on Dec 15, 2001
[addsig]

max (X)
max (X)
Local time: 00:17
English to Dutch
+ ...
Ventura/Oxnard's Pow Wow Dec 2, 2001

Dear Jason,

Unfortunately the Pow Wow I wanted to organize in Ventura/Oxnard must be canceled due to lack of interest. Until now not one single soul but me has registered. I already decided to go to LA and registered there. Too bad nobody showed up, maybe next year.

Thanks, Cristina Navia \"Max\"

Dyran Altenburg (X)
Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
Harrisburg powwow Dec 3, 2001

6 people (me included) have signed up so far for this powwow.

I would like to see the document we are to read to them at the beginning of the reunion. Is this possible?

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Who can attend ? Dec 3, 2001

Jason,

One of the FAQ :

\"Who can go?

Anyone who is registered with ProZ.com may attend. Spouses, children and guests are also welcome.\"

Youri PIEDBOIS is giving lots of constructive thought to the organisation of the Paris powwow.

I would like confirmation as to who can attend - apart from the obvious ProZ memebrs and their immediate family. Bearing in mind that Powwows are held in public
... See more
Jason,

One of the FAQ :

\"Who can go?

Anyone who is registered with ProZ.com may attend. Spouses, children and guests are also welcome.\"

Youri PIEDBOIS is giving lots of constructive thought to the organisation of the Paris powwow.

I would like confirmation as to who can attend - apart from the obvious ProZ memebrs and their immediate family. Bearing in mind that Powwows are held in public places, we cannot prevent other people from being there, of course. But when is being there, just being there, and when is being there attending?

I\'m trying to get this cleared up as Youri has had the excellent idea of contacting translators for information. He is suggesting taking it one step further by (i) inviting them to attend and (ii) give a brief presentation of their association. He also suggests that these associations circulate notice of the powwow among their members. Please note that these are suggestions.

My personal understanding is as follows : ProZ powwows are by and for Proz members and immediate family. It is extremely useful for members to attend \"armed\" with all sorts of info about these associations but it is not the occasion for these associations to come and provide a presentation of their organisation, however brief, however interesting and useful this might be.

My personal view on the matter :

Whilst the information would no doubt be useful, I am concerned that it if people representing external organisations start presentng their association, (even if uncommerical) then the powwow might assume an air of a professional fair. Applying one\'s thoughts to useful topics for discussion ahead of the meeting, arriving with documentation about organisations, associations is fine, inviting them to attend and do their spiel is not. Circulating a notice of the powwow to outside organisations is an excellent way of attracting attention to ProZ.com but should they not be encouraged to become members beforehand?

At best, all this constructive extra info is going to be incredibly useful. So much the better. But what happens if the non-Prozers outnumber ProZ members? Is there not a risk that we don\'t even recognise it as a ProZ event?

Can we have the oficial line on this one please???
Collapse

Silvia Gutiérrez Mayo
Silvia Gutiérrez Mayo  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Statement Dec 13, 2001

Dear jason,

i have read about this statement that must be read at the beginning of the Powwow. The powwow in Vienna is today Dec. 13th at 7pm. and I still didn´t get any statement per email.

When will I receive it?

Cheers

Silvia

Claudia Campbell
Claudia Campbell
Brazil
Local time: 04:17
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
Malaga is not included.... Where is the statement? Jan 22, 2002

Jason,

I still don\'t have the statement that I must read as the organizer of the Malaga powwow that will take place Jan.26.

Could you e.mail it to [email protected], please?

I also would like to know why Malaga (Spain) is not included on the list of cities where there is a powwow? Could you check it, please?

Cheers,

Lusobras

2002-01-22

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:17
German to English
+ ...
Old Powwow postings Jan 24, 2002

Jason, could you please remove all the old powwow messages, such as info on powwows that did NOT take place in December, etc.

Thanks,

Trudy

Claudia Campbell
Claudia Campbell
Brazil
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
Málaga Powwow, Jan 26 at 9 p.m. Jan 26, 2002

Dear Jason,

Today will take place our Powwow in Malaga, Spain and I, as the organizer, don\'t have the statement to read before it.

Could you e.mail it for me, please?

I also would like to clarify that the powwow **is at 9 p.m.** instead of 12 a.m. the time published on the powwow board.

Cheers,

Lusobras

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Proz.com statement Aug 18, 2008

Browsing through the Powwow Organiser forum, I have come across several people mentioning a Proz.com statement to be made at the Powwows. I have organised several Powwows myself, and have never heard of such a practice, if someone could shed some light on this it would be very much appreciated. Possibly this practice has been scrapped - I notice the last posting was in 2002.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Information for all Powwows

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »