Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 14:56
Spanish
+ ...
Oct 26, 2009

Hello,

An email was recently sent about the Powwow in Chicago. Unfortunately, I'd completely forgotten that it was on the Thanksgiving weekend, so the new date is Friday, December 4th. Those who received the first email, please disregard the old date.

As I mentioned on the email, I wanted to propose this Powwow to discuss the current state of professional translations and the ways we can set us apart from informal translators, crowdsourcing and TM.

I've bee
... See more
Hello,

An email was recently sent about the Powwow in Chicago. Unfortunately, I'd completely forgotten that it was on the Thanksgiving weekend, so the new date is Friday, December 4th. Those who received the first email, please disregard the old date.

As I mentioned on the email, I wanted to propose this Powwow to discuss the current state of professional translations and the ways we can set us apart from informal translators, crowdsourcing and TM.

I've been offered a place where we can hold the powwow, it has computers, projectors, etc. so we could even have presentations. That's still isn't confirmed so I'll be posting more information about that.

I'll be looking forward to seeing you all.

Regards,

Claudia
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 14:56
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Links Nov 14, 2009

This post will be only about links:

LinkedIn infuriates professional translators: 10 big questions - Matthew Bennett's enlightening post about LinkedIn use of crowdsourcing and how NOT to use it. I particularly like the graphics:
See more
This post will be only about links:

LinkedIn infuriates professional translators: 10 big questions - Matthew Bennett's enlightening post about LinkedIn use of crowdsourcing and how NOT to use it. I particularly like the graphics:

New York Times & American Translators Association Join LinkedIn Translation Debate - Also from Matthew's blog.

The lure of crowdsourcing translation - From the Localization Best Practices' blog

Signals of Shift in the Language Industry: Are You In or Are You Out? - Another enlightening post from a different perspective by Renato Beninatto (Localization Industry 411). Although I can't entirely agree with Renato, he does make a great point about the future of translation. My main concern: As for quality, especially in large projects, the crowd takes care of solving the problem. The axiom that the crowd is smarter than the average member of a group applies here. I'm afraid most people who have worked on QA will disagree.

More to come.
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Powwow in Chicago - December 4th, 2009

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »