Thread poster: Akihiko Takeda
Akihiko Takeda
Akihiko Takeda  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:21
English to Japanese
+ ...
Dec 8, 2018

SDL Trados I purchased is my first CAT tool for translation. I checked for learning thorough:
- Youtube: For beginners
- Manual from the program
- Textbook: Other source than original manual

I decided to focus on Trados for now as my CAT among any other CAT. After several attempts to learn even fundamental features through those 3 above, it's still tough and challenging for me to understand.

- How did (do) you learn Trados?
- Any tips and advice
... See more
SDL Trados I purchased is my first CAT tool for translation. I checked for learning thorough:
- Youtube: For beginners
- Manual from the program
- Textbook: Other source than original manual

I decided to focus on Trados for now as my CAT among any other CAT. After several attempts to learn even fundamental features through those 3 above, it's still tough and challenging for me to understand.

- How did (do) you learn Trados?
- Any tips and advice;
- How you overcome difficulties to get used to it;
- What method is the best (manual, youtube or anything else) learning source

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Collapse

Dalia Nour
Yukie Fujiwara (X)

zahra razavi
zahra razavi  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:21
Member (2019)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
youtube Dec 9, 2018

I personally used Youtube to learn it. The only difficulty with using it is that it does not work with scanned pdf files

Dalia Nour
Edith Njogu

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
not a hasty decision? Dec 9, 2018

Hello Akihiko,

So, you invested some 99 € in Starter subscription or 695 € in Freelance edition--without even assessing, learning the ropes, and trying the software first? I think it were your clients or ads what led you to such a decision, because there're many more flexible and user-friendly counterparts and free* options, which can import/export projects in Trados formats.

I started with WF 3.35x and Translator's Workbench (Trados 5+) add-ons to MS Word, s
... See more
Hello Akihiko,

So, you invested some 99 € in Starter subscription or 695 € in Freelance edition--without even assessing, learning the ropes, and trying the software first? I think it were your clients or ads what led you to such a decision, because there're many more flexible and user-friendly counterparts and free* options, which can import/export projects in Trados formats.

I started with WF 3.35x and Translator's Workbench (Trados 5+) add-ons to MS Word, so I agree that modern CAT tools grow more complex, demanding, and rather bulky. However, there should be a manual, self-paces SDL trainings, and lots of visual how-to's "for dummies", so could you specify the very step/task making you stumble?

Cheers

P.S. Why PE-MT forum?

[Edited at 2018-12-09 13:04 GMT]
Collapse

Akihiko Takeda
Akihiko Takeda  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:21
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Scanned pdf? Dec 9, 2018

zahra razavi wrote:

I personally used Youtube to learn it. The only difficulty with using it is that it does not work with scanned pdf files

I don't think any of CAT works directly pdf file. You can convert pdf to Word by:
https://simplypdf.com/

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

SDL Trados Learning as a beginner

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »