Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
Poll: What do you appreciate the most in working with companies with dedicated Vendor Management?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Alternatively... Jan 21, 2021

To my horror, I now realise that I may have been wrong all along.

With ProZ based in the US where keyboards clearly no longer have a hyphen key, it could in fact be the management of dedicated vendors.

The implication then is that those who haven't come across DVMs aren't dedicated vendors but translators who don't give a shit.

The plot thickens...

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost

Marina Taffetani
Marina Taffetani  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:59
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
Nothing at all Jan 21, 2021

Having a single point of contact -> in fact, if there's something you need to talk about (say, rates, or issues with their beloved online platforms), you write to the dedicated VM who in turn writes to the PM or the IT guy, and then the VM gets back to you maybe half a life later when you've probably already retired

Experiencing increased human touch -> uh? You're kidding, right? Agencies with dedicated vendor management are usually large companies and all jobs are sen
... See more
Having a single point of contact -> in fact, if there's something you need to talk about (say, rates, or issues with their beloved online platforms), you write to the dedicated VM who in turn writes to the PM or the IT guy, and then the VM gets back to you maybe half a life later when you've probably already retired

Experiencing increased human touch -> uh? You're kidding, right? Agencies with dedicated vendor management are usually large companies and all jobs are sent through their marvellous platform so sometimes there's no human touch at all, you may never get to speak with any actual person)

Feeling higher involvement in the company -> sure! I'm more involved in helping the company gain higher profits by reducing my rates

Noticing more attention to the vendors -> of course, they're always there for you when they need you to lower your rates or they need to scold you for being naughty (maybe you once asked for a higher fee for some reason, how dare you!)

Working with leaner procedures -> yeah, right. As I said, those companies always have their amazing platforms which were probably developed by a 4-year-old, so yes, of course, much leaner procedures

@Chris, I've noticed that some PMs turned VMs are exactly like that. I know some of those. They were lovely as PMs, then turned to the dark side, and you should be thankful if they don't actually bark at you with one-word e-mails or condescending tones.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Zibow Retailleau
Anton Konashenok
Robert Rietvelt
Ingvild Karlsen

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Detective work Jan 21, 2021

I decided to sort this out once and for all, Chris, so I rang one of these Dedicated Vendor Managers. I asked straight out whether the post was fully dedicated, or whether there was any moonlighting in strip clubs. I was expecting a certain amount of surprise, perhaps, but I didn’t think he’d be quite so annoyed. Do you know, an initial dumbfounded silence seemed to confirm my suspicions. And then he started to bluster, of course. “How dare you,” he cried, “how dare you doubt my profes... See more
I decided to sort this out once and for all, Chris, so I rang one of these Dedicated Vendor Managers. I asked straight out whether the post was fully dedicated, or whether there was any moonlighting in strip clubs. I was expecting a certain amount of surprise, perhaps, but I didn’t think he’d be quite so annoyed. Do you know, an initial dumbfounded silence seemed to confirm my suspicions. And then he started to bluster, of course. “How dare you,” he cried, “how dare you doubt my professional credentials?”

I thought I’d push him a little more. “And no rent boy stuff either, I suppose?” I enquired. Can you believe he hung up on me? It’s all one-way traffic with these DVMs. They can ring you whenever they like to ask you to lower your rate, but where’s the reciprocation when you want some information yourself, that’s what I’d like to know.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Careful Jan 21, 2021

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

I decided to sort this out once and for all, Chris, so I rang one of these Dedicated Vendor Managers. I asked straight out whether the post was fully dedicated, or whether there was any moonlighting in strip clubs. I was expecting a certain amount of surprise, perhaps, but I didn’t think he’d be quite so annoyed. Do you know, an initial dumbfounded silence seemed to confirm my suspicions. And then he started to bluster, of course. “How dare you,” he cried, “how dare you doubt my professional credentials?”

I thought I’d push him a little more. “And no rent boy stuff either, I suppose?” I enquired. Can you believe he hung up on me? It’s all one-way traffic with these DVMs. They can ring you whenever they like to ask you to lower your rate, but where’s the reciprocation when you want some information yourself, that’s what I’d like to know.

Careful, Mervyn. Don't forget that all truly dedicated vendor managers will be monitoring this thread and crossing names off their Christmas e-card list...

Matthias Brombach
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Thomas T. Frost
Marina Taffetani

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Risk management Jan 21, 2021

Losing out on the Xmas e-card is a risk I'll just have to take. But I tend to get them from people I filled in a form for years ago but never worked for, or only once.

Christopher Schröder
Philip Lees
Thomas T. Frost

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
If words can't explain, what DVM is... Jan 21, 2021

...perhaps a short video may help:

https://www.languagedirect.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/video-4.mp4

Aren't the persons in the live scene taken in an LSP office all fully dedicated and isn't it the way, how we imagine vendor management works (for or against us) in agencies? Wouldn't you want to know what's on the list she was given and ho
... See more
...perhaps a short video may help:

https://www.languagedirect.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/video-4.mp4

Aren't the persons in the live scene taken in an LSP office all fully dedicated and isn't it the way, how we imagine vendor management works (for or against us) in agencies? Wouldn't you want to know what's on the list she was given and how the vendor management story ends here? Food for more questions to come.
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
That video Jan 21, 2021

This is actually a video of an unseen Chris S, left, handing in his estimate for the next central bank job. Note the expression of the dark-haired girl as she takes the sheet of paper, saying (I read her lips) "Oh, Mr S's looks like a big one, guys", but we knew that anyway when her eyes opened so dramatically wide just before that.

The guy doesn't say a lot, and mostly nods, but that's because he doesn't want to give too much encouragement to the blonde, who has been actively tryin
... See more
This is actually a video of an unseen Chris S, left, handing in his estimate for the next central bank job. Note the expression of the dark-haired girl as she takes the sheet of paper, saying (I read her lips) "Oh, Mr S's looks like a big one, guys", but we knew that anyway when her eyes opened so dramatically wide just before that.

The guy doesn't say a lot, and mostly nods, but that's because he doesn't want to give too much encouragement to the blonde, who has been actively trying to attract his attention for months now, since the day he joined the company, in fact, to feel that beard rasping across certain parts of her body. If you don't believe me, check out her lustful glance in the dying seconds of the video.

The brunette doesn't actually say anything after that, because she's silently overwhelmed with the proportions of what Chris is offering.
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Christopher Schröder
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I c...caa....hihihi...can't...haaa... Jan 21, 2021

Mervyn Henderson wrote:
The brunette doesn't actually say anything after that, because she's silently overwhelmed with the proportions of what Chris is offering.

...help...(Help!) answer your post the Egyptian way:

😂😂😂😂🙃🙃🙃☺️☺️☺️☺️!!!

Boah, I need some fresh air...

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Boys🙄 Jan 21, 2021

At first, I thought that is exactly how I imagined my favourite ex-PM, Sexy Sandra*, would look like.

(The hot brunette, that is, not the Bejörnny from ABBA wannabe.)

But then I started the video and that is most definitely a VM at work. Just check out the slow motion as the paperwork is handed over and the m-u-c-h-o-s ... g-r-a-c-i-a-s.

Why do something useful when you can do something pointless twice as slowly?

But yes, Mervyn, I do pride my
... See more
At first, I thought that is exactly how I imagined my favourite ex-PM, Sexy Sandra*, would look like.

(The hot brunette, that is, not the Bejörnny from ABBA wannabe.)

But then I started the video and that is most definitely a VM at work. Just check out the slow motion as the paperwork is handed over and the m-u-c-h-o-s ... g-r-a-c-i-a-s.

Why do something useful when you can do something pointless twice as slowly?

But yes, Mervyn, I do pride myself on the size of my quotes. Back in my days as a newspaper reporter, I was nationally renowned for my column inches.
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:59
German to English
+ ...
PM preferred (after reading definition) Jan 22, 2021

Somewhere in this thread I saw a link to a definition - a whole article about it. It seems to apply to a different kind of business. Well, let's look at this a little bit An individual person requiring a translation would not have a "vendor manager"; you have direct communication with that client. It would be a company that has a dedicated person. Translation is customized and requires a degree of collaboration. You need to know things from the end client before the start of the project. ... See more
Somewhere in this thread I saw a link to a definition - a whole article about it. It seems to apply to a different kind of business. Well, let's look at this a little bit An individual person requiring a translation would not have a "vendor manager"; you have direct communication with that client. It would be a company that has a dedicated person. Translation is customized and requires a degree of collaboration. You need to know things from the end client before the start of the project. If you have a middleman (translation company / agency) they have to convey the communication intelligently and wisely. That's a project manager - not merely a vendor manager.Collapse

Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
What proportions? Jan 22, 2021

Mervyn Henderson wrote:
she's silently overwhelmed with the proportions of what Chris is offering.

As far as I can recall from a certain post in the last year my contribution containing the word "proportion" lead to some discussions. What proportions we are talking about here today? Do you assume Mr. S has submitted a DP* to the PM, who obviously - as can be seen by her physical appearance - seems to be not well enough daddy catered (catered by her daddy) and would need a more nutritious diet (or another loan by her daddy to be more dedicated to the company she only founded because she did not want to inherit the estate company her daddy runs but will do it one day anyway I'm very sure about it)?

* I mean "Dedicated Picture", of course

[Bearbeitet am 2021-01-22 07:33 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 10:59
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The best definition ever Jan 22, 2021

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

...help...(Help!) answer your post the Egyptian way:

😂😂😂😂🙃🙃🙃☺️☺️☺️☺️!!!

Boah, I need some fresh air...

A picture is worth a thousand words

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Thomas T. Frost
Zibow Retailleau

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What do you appreciate the most in working with companies with dedicated Vendor Management?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »