Poll: Professionally, my general outlook for the rest of 2020 right now is:
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 30, 2020

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Professionally, my general outlook for the rest of 2020 right now is:".

View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 10:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
Positive Sep 30, 2020

I see my current outlook as more positive than negative, defined as I think I will have enough to keep me going and pay the bills until the end of the year. However, if you define positive as "business is booming", then I don't think that's the case anywhere in the "industry" at the moment.

Update: I'm suddenly feeling less positive, as some of my university clients are pushing me to use the online system for billing public administrations (FACe), which is a nightmare. I spent sever
... See more
I see my current outlook as more positive than negative, defined as I think I will have enough to keep me going and pay the bills until the end of the year. However, if you define positive as "business is booming", then I don't think that's the case anywhere in the "industry" at the moment.

Update: I'm suddenly feeling less positive, as some of my university clients are pushing me to use the online system for billing public administrations (FACe), which is a nightmare. I spent several hours trying to use it earlier this year, but gave up frustrated and angry. Even reading the official government website for information is like a slow torture. If I do eventually have to start using the system, I'll be dragged into it kicking and screaming, and will need to engage a third-party to handle it for me, which will mean having to raise my current reasonable rates, perhaps by up to 100%, to compensate for the hassle.

[Edited at 2020-10-01 07:08 GMT]
Collapse

Paul van Zijll
Şeyma AKAR
Anastasia Naoumi
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Mariana Borio
Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Aline Amorim

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:53
French to English
. Sep 30, 2020

Given that a lot of my work has been in industries that are crashing right now (tourism, catering, the arts...), I'm afraid things look pretty bleak.

Kanthanat Piyasakulchaichan
Martina Baričević

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:53
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Positive Sep 30, 2020

It was pretty negative in July and August, but we're back on the track now.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:53
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Cautious Sep 30, 2020

ProZ.com Staff wrote:
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Professionally, my general outlook for the rest of 2020 right now is:".

View the poll results »

Been pretty solid all year. Hoping it will continue, but worried that lockdown and other coronavirus countermeasures are going to cause a tidal wave of economic pain a few months down the road.

Dan

María C Turri
María C Turri  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:53
Member (2019)
English to Spanish
Positive Oct 1, 2020

I had a couple neutral months in May and June but I made enough to avoid any cuts. Now everything seems just like before corona for me. It helps to translate medical content!

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:53
German to English
More of the same Oct 1, 2020

Although my agency work has picked up the last month or two, and my direct clients continue to send work, I expect the usual seasonal slowdown in December and July.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Professionally, my general outlook for the rest of 2020 right now is:

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »