Poll: In general, I work best...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 2, 2020

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "In general, I work best...".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:46
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
When I can work on a project over several weeks or even two or three months Jun 2, 2020

I love having a long project with a comfortable deadline that allows me to be available for other jobs/clients, but it all depends on the job itself (language pair – even if English-Portuguese is my main “line of service” – I do prefer translating from French; quality of the source document; subject matter; format, etc.) and most of all on the quality of my sleep the night before: all my work flows better when I sleep well…

Noura Tawil
Aline Amorim
Angie Garbarino
Muriel Vasconcellos

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 11:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jun 2, 2020

When my main PC is functioning normally. Unlike today, when it won't boot up. My tec guy isn't responding - he may be away somewhere during the lockdown. I'd rather take it to him to fix, as he put it together for me and I trust him not to sneak in any unnecessary add-ons or "upgrades", or try to sell me a new one, as some local repair shops might.

As for today's poll query, I'm afraid I'm usually too busy working to contemplate such niceties. I just get on with it as best I can, wh
... See more
When my main PC is functioning normally. Unlike today, when it won't boot up. My tec guy isn't responding - he may be away somewhere during the lockdown. I'd rather take it to him to fix, as he put it together for me and I trust him not to sneak in any unnecessary add-ons or "upgrades", or try to sell me a new one, as some local repair shops might.

As for today's poll query, I'm afraid I'm usually too busy working to contemplate such niceties. I just get on with it as best I can, whatever the scenario.

[Edited at 2020-06-02 09:40 GMT]
Collapse

Kaisa I

Becca Resnik
Becca Resnik  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:46
German to English
+ ...
Other Jun 2, 2020

I work well with all project types and prefer variety over having all one type anyway. I suppose the variety is why I can work with all of these categories happily.

Edit to clarify: For me, the length/complexity of the project often determines whether I work in short bursts or long stretches of time. I suppose if your specialty means that all of your source texts are about equal in length and complexity, this is more purely a question of your personal work habits.

[Edited at
... See more
I work well with all project types and prefer variety over having all one type anyway. I suppose the variety is why I can work with all of these categories happily.

Edit to clarify: For me, the length/complexity of the project often determines whether I work in short bursts or long stretches of time. I suppose if your specialty means that all of your source texts are about equal in length and complexity, this is more purely a question of your personal work habits.

[Edited at 2020-06-02 11:00 GMT]
Collapse

Carmen Grabs
Carmen Grabs
Germany
Member (2012)
English to German
+ ...
I love short bursts Jun 2, 2020

I am most creative in short periods. Then I go for a walk with my dog, get oxygen to my brain and am ready for another short session. This is why I almost always end up working at night - the day just isn't long enough for my style of working.

Aline Brito

Aline Amorim
Aline Amorim  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:46
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In general, I work best Jun 2, 2020

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "In general, I work best...".

View the poll results »

When I can work on a project over several days or even weeks.

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Other Jun 3, 2020

I don't like short but neither do I like projects that go on for long, even weeks. I don't like them too short as it's like when you get into the job, you have to leave it and you don't have the full context which may be tricky at times. But I like variety too so long projects that go on for weeks are not my preference and I also find them difficult for consistency unless I'm using a CAT tool and not all projects I'm sent can/should be done with a CAT tool.

[Edited at 2020-06-03 10:01 GMT
... See more
I don't like short but neither do I like projects that go on for long, even weeks. I don't like them too short as it's like when you get into the job, you have to leave it and you don't have the full context which may be tricky at times. But I like variety too so long projects that go on for weeks are not my preference and I also find them difficult for consistency unless I'm using a CAT tool and not all projects I'm sent can/should be done with a CAT tool.

[Edited at 2020-06-03 10:01 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: In general, I work best...

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »