Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Are video calls part of your contact with clients?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:37
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No May 19, 2020

A few times, clients have asked me for one of these, and I joined in, no problem. But I don't even like phone calls, and don't think they are necessary at all. Contact by email and Whatsapp is perfect. I will reply when I'm called, for sure, but I'll never start any kind of call (voice or video) by my own initiative, unless it's an urgent issue, like non-payment.
We must bear in mind that emails and written chats are saved and valid as documental proof on any circumstance, as opposed to vo
... See more
A few times, clients have asked me for one of these, and I joined in, no problem. But I don't even like phone calls, and don't think they are necessary at all. Contact by email and Whatsapp is perfect. I will reply when I'm called, for sure, but I'll never start any kind of call (voice or video) by my own initiative, unless it's an urgent issue, like non-payment.
We must bear in mind that emails and written chats are saved and valid as documental proof on any circumstance, as opposed to voice/video calls (unless you record them all). Not documeting professional/commercial communications with clients is a big mistake.

[Edited at 2020-05-19 20:13 GMT]
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:37
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Late response but maybe useful story Jun 4, 2020

I always preferred client relationships stay within certain boundaries and I prefer keeping communication to email. I only gave my phonenumber out to a few trusted, long-term clients when it was absolutely necessary (email down or other technical obstacles). Video calls were not even that widespread, when this story happened a good few years ago. I contracted with a new, direct client and it was very promising, as the area was a niche technical area, but very much my expertise (metrology). (Not ... See more
I always preferred client relationships stay within certain boundaries and I prefer keeping communication to email. I only gave my phonenumber out to a few trusted, long-term clients when it was absolutely necessary (email down or other technical obstacles). Video calls were not even that widespread, when this story happened a good few years ago. I contracted with a new, direct client and it was very promising, as the area was a niche technical area, but very much my expertise (metrology). (Not meteorology!) Things were going well, but there were communication issues time-to-time, such as my contact referring to emails he never sent, and things he never requested, and he didn't reply to some of my questions, etc. It was a bit strange, but I figured he was just busy.
Well, one day he asked me if we could have a video chat, as some of the technical things I asked would be easier to explain than trying to write an email. I agreed.
Sooooo, as it became evident during the video call, the guy had a severe case of ADD (attention deficit disorder). It was quite unbelievable, he was explaining something but someone walked by and that caught his attention, introduced his colleague to me, told me what part of the project that person was working on, etc. chit-chat, then the colleague left, and he had no idea what we were talking about before the interruption, and started a different topic. Then his mother called him on his cellphone, providing another interruption (and I had to listen to his conversation with his mom), and again, unable to resume the interrupted topic. All in all, I had to work very hard to get answers to my questions which was the whole purpose of the conversation.
So, the whole interaction was kind of comical, but it helped me to know what I am dealing with. I used that knowledge to improve my communication with him, for example I followed up if something was unanswered in a day. Unfortunately his condition did not change, and he missed to relay a couple of crucially important pieces of information - such as when his bosses wanted him to get the files done earlier than we agreed on, and when they wanted him to discuss with me their new plan for cutting rates - and then he tried to cut my rates retroactively (i.e. work already done and invoiced), saying that he already told me about their wish to cut rates.
Obviously, I stopped working for him, because you cannot treat a business partner like this, ADD, or not.

Long story, but the point is, sometimes a video chat can uncover some useful info about the other party that otherwise would not be available.
Katalin
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Kay Denney

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 06:37
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Not quite sure. Jun 4, 2020

Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:
Long story, but the point is, sometimes a video chat can uncover some useful info about the other party that otherwise would not be available.
Katalin

Video call is also fictional and many people don't know how to/are not trained to effectively carry it out. That may or may have not been the case with your client, I wouldn't so quickly jump to diagnose him with this or that. I know some great professionals in real life who are really bad with video calls, had a chance to explore this a bit during quarantine period. But one thing I am sure: it's fictional, and it's an illusion that it can give you better insights into anything than an audio call or email would.

What I mean by bad: no structure, jumping from one topic to another, no organization, no preparation, etc. It takes training, both technical (use of video call structure/technology) and organizational.

The only people I saw doing it at least remotely well were some reporters and journalists (not all though).

[Edited at 2020-06-04 08:39 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are video calls part of your contact with clients?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »