Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: I usually need help in filing my taxes for my business.
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Anastasia Kingsley Kinkusic
Anastasia Kingsley Kinkusic  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Croatian to English
+ ...
A win/win May 7, 2020

I’ve been translating 20 plus years, but after winging it as a freelancer, I finally opened my own corporation in 2013. People advised me against it but it’s been great. I have a bachelors degree in economics so I do a lot of the paperwork on my end for a reduced fee. My accountants are quite savvy and keep me advised on local laws, which can be extremely complicated here in Croatia. I love words and business and having a good accountant lets me focus on my strengths. We often brainstorm - f... See more
I’ve been translating 20 plus years, but after winging it as a freelancer, I finally opened my own corporation in 2013. People advised me against it but it’s been great. I have a bachelors degree in economics so I do a lot of the paperwork on my end for a reduced fee. My accountants are quite savvy and keep me advised on local laws, which can be extremely complicated here in Croatia. I love words and business and having a good accountant lets me focus on my strengths. We often brainstorm - for me it’s been a win-win 👍Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:14
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No May 7, 2020

This is one expense I will not pay for. It's pretty easy to learn how to do it all. It just takes a little effort to save some money. And no, the accountants who do this kind of job are not really specialized and dedicated professionals who will do a better job than you. It's quite the opposite. They do this for dozens of people, like machines, and in a quite careless manner too. It's a lot better if you learn how to do it yourself.
Of course this does not apply to registered companies tha
... See more
This is one expense I will not pay for. It's pretty easy to learn how to do it all. It just takes a little effort to save some money. And no, the accountants who do this kind of job are not really specialized and dedicated professionals who will do a better job than you. It's quite the opposite. They do this for dozens of people, like machines, and in a quite careless manner too. It's a lot better if you learn how to do it yourself.
Of course this does not apply to registered companies that require an accountant (by law). But if you know how to do it, you can still do a hell of a better job than they do, and fix THEIR mistakes.
Collapse

Nikolay Novitskiy

Justin Peterson
Justin Peterson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:14
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
Well worth it May 7, 2020

"The check you write for your tax man (gestor) is the best money you'll spend all year." - My Dad

He was right.

You CAN do your own taxes. You can also put your hand in a vice and turn it ... if you want to suffer

Christopher Schröder
Michael Harris
Nadja Balogh
P.L.F. Persio

Nikolay Novitskiy
Nikolay Novitskiy  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:14
Member (2018)
English to Russian
Just invest some time in visiting tax service website :) May 8, 2020

Russia has friendly tax-regulations for self-employed people and sole proprietors.

As translator, I pay:
- a fixed tax twice a year;
- a fixed medical insurance fee once a year;
- 2 fixed pension contributions once a year;

No VAT, no income or sale tax, it's all so simple and clear.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:14
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes May 8, 2020

I'm in the U.S. Our tax law is arcane and constantly changing. My accountant (for the past 26 years) is brilliant at finding ways to reduce my tax bill. He saves me thousands of dollars every year. My annual declaration runs about 40 pages and I am always pleasantly surprised. I get to claim depreciation and all home repairs because my business office is located in the home that I own, not to mention automobile use, unreimbursed medical expenses, etc., etc. He is always asking about expenses I m... See more
I'm in the U.S. Our tax law is arcane and constantly changing. My accountant (for the past 26 years) is brilliant at finding ways to reduce my tax bill. He saves me thousands of dollars every year. My annual declaration runs about 40 pages and I am always pleasantly surprised. I get to claim depreciation and all home repairs because my business office is located in the home that I own, not to mention automobile use, unreimbursed medical expenses, etc., etc. He is always asking about expenses I might have that are deductible which I never would have thought of.

I remember telling him one time that I had an 800-page translation I was looking forward to. He looked at me glassy-eyed and asked "How could you possible do that?" To which I replied that I couldn't possibly do his job.

[Edited at 2020-05-08 08:25 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:14
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Hmmm May 8, 2020

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

....He saves me thousands of dollars every year. ...

How do you know? Because he tells you?

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:14
German to English
I misread your post. May 8, 2020

Justin Peterson wrote:

"The check you write for your tax man (gestor) is the best money you'll spend all year." - My Dad

I thought your dad said: "The check you write for the tax man is the best money you'll spend all year."

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: I usually need help in filing my taxes for my business.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »