Poll: Do you write responses to job inquiries from scratch?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 01:19
SITE STAFF
Apr 28

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you write responses to job inquiries from scratch?".

View the poll results »

Nikolay Novitskiy  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:19
Member (2018)
English to Russian
Lots of templates Apr 28

I have lots of templates (and CVs) for different jobs. I just modify one slightly and send it to the outsourcer. Why not?

Ian Keith Jones Williams
Ricardo Suin
Cheemanum
Clement Cheung
Aline Amorim

Ian Keith Jones Williams  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:19
German to English
+ ...
Fishing Apr 28

As most enquirers are usually fishing around for low(er) rates, there is no point in sending anything other than a standard email. On the rare occasion that an enquiry looks promising, I will probably make an effort and write a personalised reply.

Josephine Cassar
svetlana cosquéric
Clement Cheung
Kaisa I
Abdulrahman Adam
Leighton Jacobs

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 09:19
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, some of them Apr 28

I have a good collection of templates I have been using over the years, but once in a while a potential client has special requirements that I have to respond from scratch.

Nikolay Novitskiy

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
All of them (if I respond at all) Apr 28

If it looks interesting and if the inquirer at least took the time to address me by name, I write a personalised reply. If not, I don't respond.

Dan Lucas
Liena Vijupe
Anja Hajek
Clement Cheung
Alexandra Speirs
Kaisa I
writeaway

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:19
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Some of them Apr 28

I ignore any of them with low rates, which means most of them. If I'm interested, I will always write a personal response, even if it's similar to what I usually write. Templates worry me because they may not respond to the questions that were asked. With any email, I always double-check to make sure that I'm responding to all the points that were raised.

Clement Cheung
Kaisa I
Teresa Borges
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Edith van der Have-Raats  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2016)
English to Dutch
+ ...
I use templates ... Apr 28

... but always personalise them.

Teresa Borges
Nikolay Novitskiy
Aline Amorim
Mariana Borio
Annemarie Avezaat

Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:19
Member (2012)
French to English
Other Apr 28

See title

Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:19
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Most of them Apr 29

But I do have a couple of templates for specific purposes, like ProZ replies, and for clients that ask specific questions about prices, experience, etc.

[Edited at 2020-04-29 04:24 GMT]

Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:19
German to English
+ ...
didn't quite understand the question Apr 30

If a client asks whether I can do a given translation, how much I will charge, and by when it will be done, then I have to respond to that specific query with a specific answer. There may be things I need to ask or comment on after examining the text. So how could one not write an individualized answer ("from scratch")? There may be something I am missing.

If the client is new to translation and/or to how I work, there will be additional information I need to provide. I suppose
... See more
If a client asks whether I can do a given translation, how much I will charge, and by when it will be done, then I have to respond to that specific query with a specific answer. There may be things I need to ask or comment on after examining the text. So how could one not write an individualized answer ("from scratch")? There may be something I am missing.

If the client is new to translation and/or to how I work, there will be additional information I need to provide. I suppose I could create a kind of template to cut and paste in for that part.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you write responses to job inquiries from scratch?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

ProZ.com Headquarters
235 Harrison Street Mail Drop #22
Syracuse, NY 13202
USA
+1-315-463-7323
ProZ.com Argentina
Calle 14 nro. 622 1/2 entre 44 y 45
La Plata (B1900AND), Buenos Aires
Argentina
+54-221-425-1266
ProZ.com Ukraine
6 Karazina St.
Kharkiv, 61002
Ukraine
+380 57 7281624
Dawn it-tradutturi jikkoordinaw it-traduzzjoni ta’ ProZ.com f’ Maltese

Team Members: Rita Briffa

Jekk jogħġbok innota li s-sit għadu mhux tradott kollu. Il-lokalizzazzjoni tas-sit qed jipproċedi fi stadji, bis-siti l-aktar attivi jiġu tradotti l-ewwel. Jekk tara xi errur fit-traduzzjoni fi kwalunkwe parti tas-sit li diġà ġie lokalizzat, jekk jogħġbok avża lil wieħed mill-koordinaturi tal-lokalizzazzjoni hawn fuq.
For information on how you can help localize the site, please click here.

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Fittex għal terminu
  • Xogħol
  • Fora
  • Multiple search