Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: For work, I am/have gone completely "paperless".
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 13, 2020

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "For work, I am/have gone completely "paperless".".

View the poll results »

Marwa Alhajri

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:39
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
No more paper Apr 13, 2020

All my work is being received and delivered paperless. This does save a lot of trees.

Mami Yamaguchi

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No Apr 13, 2020

Final check is always on paper.

It’s better for my eyes and better for quality, and has very little environmental impact in the greater scheme of things.

I still maintain that you cannot translate anything that needs flow in a modern segment-by-segment CAT tool. Even in Wordfast Classic with its Word interface it’s hard to get the necessary distance from the original.

And I spend too much time staring at a screen as it is.

Michela Mignini
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD
Tom in London
maryblack
Dan Lucas
Mónica Algazi

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:39
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
False Apr 13, 2020

I haven’t gone paperless yet, but I try to save paper in other ways and to be as eco-friendly as possible. First of all, I only buy paper from national companies which production comes from their own forests. Then I use two kinds of paper: a good quality paper for certified translations and a recycled paper for everything else. I always proof-read on paper (printed on both sides) both my work and other people’s work. As far as I’m concerned it’s a far better job than on screen. On the ot... See more
I haven’t gone paperless yet, but I try to save paper in other ways and to be as eco-friendly as possible. First of all, I only buy paper from national companies which production comes from their own forests. Then I use two kinds of paper: a good quality paper for certified translations and a recycled paper for everything else. I always proof-read on paper (printed on both sides) both my work and other people’s work. As far as I’m concerned it’s a far better job than on screen. On the other hand, accounting and bookkeeping is a long way from being paperless.Collapse

Tom in London
Mónica Algazi
Priscila Wilke

Metin Demirel
Metin Demirel  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:39
Member (2018)
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
Digital invoices Apr 13, 2020

I send digital invoices to my clients, but I give printed copies of them to my accountant. I also sign NDAs on paper (I know that can also be done digitally). Other than that, I go completely paperless.

Aline Amorim

Márcio Clemente
Márcio Clemente  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2013)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Only print docs for signing Apr 13, 2020

Fully digital except for documents that need my signature, like NDAs, etc.

Clio KOUSI
Jessica Noyes
Kaisa I
Chiara Foppa Pedretti
Ventnai

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Falso Apr 13, 2020

Teresa Borges wrote:

...... I always proof-read on paper (printed on both sides) both my work and other people’s work. As far as I’m concerned it’s a far better job than on screen.

Yes; it's amazing how a finished translation printed on paper can reveal infelicities and errors that were not picked up. Above all, it's the flow. You can't make a translation flow unless you read through it in hard copy.

accounting and bookkeeping is a long way from being paperless.

Yes, and I dread the day (which our Finance Minister in the UK has already been threatening) when we will have to do all our book-keeping online. It's so much more convenient to keep accounts on paper.

Josephine Cassar
Dan Lucas
Tina Vonhof (X)
Katya Kesten
Sanjin Grandić
Muriel Vasconcellos

Mina Chen
Mina Chen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:39
English to Chinese
+ ...
mostly digital Apr 13, 2020

I do a bit of consecutive interpreting when the opportunity presents itself. I still take notes on a pad, although I know it can be done using note-taking apps that run on a tablet. That’s something I do plan on exploring but I already know I will always prefer writing on paper.

Cécile Gaultier
Cécile Gaultier  Identity Verified
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
Almost true Apr 13, 2020

Translating ... yes
Accounting ... no
Although I keep my records on my PC (Excel spreadsheets), I also have a notebook following me everywhere I go, where I write down, every time a new project shows up, the company name, the PO number, the date and total amount. Some kind of old-fashioned habit I just cannot get rid of. I don't really know why... But that's pretty much it.

Have a good day, Cécile

Kunal Jaidka

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
A different mechanism Apr 13, 2020

Tom in London wrote:
Yes; it's amazing how a finished translation printed on paper can reveal infelicities and errors that were not picked up.

Like Theresa, Tom and Chris, I use hard copy to check my work. I still find it surprising - and slightly chastening - to see how effectively this process unearths the "infelicities and errors" in my translation. The brain seems to apply a different (better?) method when scanning text that is at your physical fingertips.

Dan

[Edited at 2020-04-13 16:23 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Katya Kesten
Christine Andersen
Muriel Vasconcellos

Jennifer Caisley
Jennifer Caisley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2019)
German to English
+ ...
Almost true! Apr 13, 2020

My preference, like so many colleagues above, is to proofread on paper, but it's something I do rather less frequently than I'd like.

One area that I resolutely stick by the physical, as opposed to the digital, option is my trusty Collins dictionary - online dictionaries and corpora are often far more wide-ranging and can be more helpful in certain contexts, but when it comes to quickly checking a secondary meaning of a term or an unusual set phrase, it's much quicker to flick throu
... See more
My preference, like so many colleagues above, is to proofread on paper, but it's something I do rather less frequently than I'd like.

One area that I resolutely stick by the physical, as opposed to the digital, option is my trusty Collins dictionary - online dictionaries and corpora are often far more wide-ranging and can be more helpful in certain contexts, but when it comes to quickly checking a secondary meaning of a term or an unusual set phrase, it's much quicker to flick through an alphabetised list than spend ages scrolling!
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos

Mónica Algazi
Mónica Algazi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 11:39
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
Certified translations Apr 13, 2020

As a sworn translator, I am required to print, seal and sign certified translations ("traducciones oficiales") and attach them to their respective original documents.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 08:39
Dutch to English
+ ...
Not yet Apr 13, 2020

Like many others, I proofread on paper, even if it is a 20-page document (but printed on both sides). I also keep a copy of my invoices for accounting purposes. I do eventually recycle it all and I re-use, recycle, and compost everything I can. I learned that from my parents during the war when everything was used and re-used and, if all else failed, burned for fuel.

Marsha Conroy
Marsha Conroy
United States
Local time: 09:39
French to English
In memoriam
Paperless Apr 13, 2020

Of course, agency clients and businesses are paperless clients. However, I have many private clients who insist on paper copies of private records (birth certificates, correction of legal documents, etc.). Many are afraid that copies (ex: from a PDF) will not be accepted and insist on the paper copy with “wet stamp”.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:39
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Mostly Apr 13, 2020

All digital except...

Chris S wrote:

Final check is always on paper.

Somehow a final check on paper will always reveal changes needed that are not spotted on the screen.

Otherwise I am entirely paperless, including bookkeeping, banking, filing taxes, etc.

One more exception is one client that still insists on paying by paper cheque! Fortunately, a banking app on the phone allows me to deposit their cheque by photo, without having to go to the bank.

[Edited at 2020-04-13 23:12 GMT]

Tom in London

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: For work, I am/have gone completely "paperless".

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »