Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: For work, I am/have gone completely "paperless".
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Laurela Bruka
Laurela Bruka  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:19
German to English
+ ...
Pro Paperless Apr 13, 2020

I am pro paperless. When I need to sign agreements or contracts I use softwares for electronic sign.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:19
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Almost true Apr 14, 2020

Except for a notepad or a piece of paper I scratch all the time. And there is no way this can possibly be replaced by a digital substitute, because everything goes in it: phone numbers, notes, word counts, reminders, groceries, i. e. all temporary stuff that go to the trash after a while. It will always be on my desk.
Now, printing the translation to review?? You must be kidding!

[Edited at 2020-04-14 01:53 GMT]

Philip Lees
Laurela Bruka
Nikolay Novitskiy
expressisverbis

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 04:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mostly Apr 14, 2020

However, I still have a printer set up so I can print documents on paper if need be. Funnily enough, I just got this email this morning from a former client, an international company I did a couple of jobs for a few years ago:
“Paper Invoices
If you are not already submitting invoices electronically, we urge you to please initiate this process and to discontinue the use of paper invoices unless they are a country legal requirement, in which case we suggest you additionally send the
... See more
However, I still have a printer set up so I can print documents on paper if need be. Funnily enough, I just got this email this morning from a former client, an international company I did a couple of jobs for a few years ago:
“Paper Invoices
If you are not already submitting invoices electronically, we urge you to please initiate this process and to discontinue the use of paper invoices unless they are a country legal requirement, in which case we suggest you additionally send the paper invoices as usual. Due to site lock-downs, we cannot guarantee receipt of paper invoices, and have been unable to process paper invoices. If you have submitted a paper invoice since March 9, please resubmit the invoice through an electronic method. (Please note we cannot currently accept invoices larger than 10mb.)”
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Paperlite Apr 14, 2020

Not paperless, paperlite, more like.

Muriel Vasconcellos
expressisverbis

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:19
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Indeed Apr 14, 2020

John Fossey wrote:

....Somehow a final check on paper will always reveal changes needed that are not spotted on the screen.

Just 5 minutes ago I printed out a translation I **thought** I had already perfected; but reading it in hard copy, I realised there were about 5 little things that could be improved. Not major mistakes; just little tweaks. Without printing, I'd never have noticed them.

Dan Lucas
Kaspars Melkis

Nikolay Novitskiy
Nikolay Novitskiy  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 07:19
Member (2018)
English to Russian
Mostly Apr 14, 2020

I use paper to write some notes and daily plans. I feel myself gerat when I complete my objective and line through the corresponding item With red ink!

Muriel Vasconcellos

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I start and finish on paper... Apr 14, 2020

I have injured my shoulder and can only use one hand for the next couple of months!
Work is quiet, but I have gone back to drafting and noting terminology with a pencil on paper. Surprisingly, it is actually not a lot less efficient than typing, deleting, retyping... Way back, I used to plan out schoolwork in my head, just noting keywords, so I could write the final version straight off in ink - corrections looked so untidy! (and of course, it was all hand written back then.) Fifty or sixt
... See more
I have injured my shoulder and can only use one hand for the next couple of months!
Work is quiet, but I have gone back to drafting and noting terminology with a pencil on paper. Surprisingly, it is actually not a lot less efficient than typing, deleting, retyping... Way back, I used to plan out schoolwork in my head, just noting keywords, so I could write the final version straight off in ink - corrections looked so untidy! (and of course, it was all hand written back then.) Fifty or sixty years later, I can still do it - I have kept in practice in private life.

I am a poor typist at best, but can manage if I have plenty of time.

OK, I can´t wait to be able to use both hands again, but it is an eye-opener. I never quite gave up the preliminaries on paper, but it is still indispensable for me, well worth the effort.

And that is without mentioning all the paper books and reference works I have been reading or re-reading while other activities are curtailed. Paper does not release CO2 until it is burnt or composted, and all my paper is recycled and/or responsibly sourced from managed forests.
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:19
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Almost Apr 14, 2020

Like others, I still present paper copies of my financial records to my accountant. I still consult my hardcopy dictionaries from time to time. I still sometimes receive a paper check in the mail. I used to proofread on paper, but I abandoned that practice a long time ago. I do reread my work twice: first for content, and then for typos. It's difficult to do both at the same time.

Sanjin Grandić
Sanjin Grandić  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2020)
French to Croatian
+ ...
75-80% Apr 14, 2020

I think that I am like 80% digital in my work, the rest is invoices, required hard copies and mostly myself printing out my work to check it (again...).

[Edited at 2020-04-14 22:29 GMT]

Danni Li
Danni Li
Australia
Mostly Apr 16, 2020

Mostly paperless, but still need to do the final check on paper.

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Only NDAs Apr 17, 2020

I only print NDAs that I need to sign. As for checking, I usually run the QA tool in Trados - it will find many types of mistakes. I then usually check the document in Word as well, even if it means copying the text in Trados and pasting it into a Word document.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: For work, I am/have gone completely "paperless".

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »