Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How many languages do you speak, read or understand OTHER THAN your working languages?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Sofia Gutkin
Sofia Gutkin  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 22:34
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
Just 1...Latin doesn't count! Jan 3, 2018

I have been learning Swedish for the past few years, but it's not yet good enough to be a working language, and I'm not sure if I'll ever use it in my work since I'm learning it for fun.

I studied Latin for 3 years in high school but I can't remember a thing! I'm surprised that several people here count Latin as one of the languages because mine evaporated as soon as high school was finished.

I picked up basic Hebrew when I lived in Israel for a year but I didn't count
... See more
I have been learning Swedish for the past few years, but it's not yet good enough to be a working language, and I'm not sure if I'll ever use it in my work since I'm learning it for fun.

I studied Latin for 3 years in high school but I can't remember a thing! I'm surprised that several people here count Latin as one of the languages because mine evaporated as soon as high school was finished.

I picked up basic Hebrew when I lived in Israel for a year but I didn't count it in this poll since it's at a very basic level. Maybe I should have since it's amazing how well I got around in Israel with so little Hebrew.
Collapse

Mateus Gomes
Mateus Gomes  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:34
English to Portuguese
+ ...
How many languages do you speak OTHER THAN your working languages? Jan 4, 2018

"2"

Having been working, as the colleague Mr Lamensdorf, in both ways as a translator EN>BRPT and BRPT>EN, the latter by force of demands, I came to believe I should improve my professional skills to do the same for interpreting, not only translation.

In the meantime, I happened to study a bit of German at univ (which didn't take due to being already too involved with the next languages) and French (with a better outcome, having come to teaching basic level classes) and
... See more
"2"

Having been working, as the colleague Mr Lamensdorf, in both ways as a translator EN>BRPT and BRPT>EN, the latter by force of demands, I came to believe I should improve my professional skills to do the same for interpreting, not only translation.

In the meantime, I happened to study a bit of German at univ (which didn't take due to being already too involved with the next languages) and French (with a better outcome, having come to teaching basic level classes) and ended learning Spanish by osmosis, though in a lower-than-functional level...even to become a C language; only useful for sparse communication on the streets if need be.
Collapse

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 21:34
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Polish... Jan 4, 2018

which is very sad because many years ago I actually started as a Polish into Russian translator. Unfortunately, the rates in this pair are simply unsustainable, and as a result I only speak Polish with my friends.
I also understand Norwegian (I work with Danish and Swedish) but since I've never formally studied it, I do not feel comfortable with using it professionally.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Two Jan 6, 2018

I'm fluent in Portuguese and English
With a pretty good level in Spanish and French, I am able to communicate and understand pretty much the languages, and I have actually done a few shore translations in these languages upon client requests, although I do not work with these pairs.
I would not die of hunger in German and Arabic speaking countries, as I know the basics to communicate, ask basic questions or order a sandwich.

Wellington Lima
Wellington Lima
Brazil
English to Portuguese
1 Jan 11, 2018

I can read Japanese, and I can speak a little bit of Japanese, but my speaking skill is not too good in Japanese, my reading skill in Japanese is better.

[Edited at 2018-01-11 11:42 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many languages do you speak, read or understand OTHER THAN your working languages?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »