Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you plan on working or being available during the Christmas and year-end holidays?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Dec 12, 2017

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you plan on working or being available during the Christmas and year-end holidays?".

This poll was originally submitted by Marlene Blanshay. View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 21:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Dec 12, 2017

Apart from the 18th and 19th, I'll be largely available for my regular clients, but with slower turnaround times.

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
No Dec 12, 2017

I will be away with family. I am not planning to read my emails, let alone do any actual work.
I look forward to long walks, hot chocolate, games, books and silly conversations.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:14
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Dec 12, 2017

I have a large assignment that will carry over into January. It's not going very smoothly, either.

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
Yes Dec 12, 2017

There won't be much demand anyway, everybody will be on holidays.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
No Dec 12, 2017

This year I'll have a full two-week, unhooked, real Christmas holiday. For a change.
Always a busy period due to the shortage of translators available and people wanting to clean their desks before the new year, but I'll leave it to others this time.

Philippe

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:14
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Dec 12, 2017

My regulars know that I'll be available for them. Besides that, I work with two (good) “historical” clients who have different cultural practices and traditions...

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:14
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Not this year Dec 12, 2017

I'm usually hard at work then but it seems to be getting colder in the Canaries (it can't be me acclimatising, surely), so we're flying south to spend a few days in the Cabo Verde islands.

Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:14
Member (2004)
English to French
I save some days off Dec 12, 2017

like Dec. 24, 25 and 31 and Jan. 1st, but yes, I will work if there is work. However, I will not actively seek work and enjoy my days off if any.

Joohee Kim
Joohee Kim  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 05:14
Member (2017)
English to Korean
+ ...
Yes Dec 12, 2017

I am (or, should be) 24/7 available, literally...

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:14
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Except for a few days, yes Dec 12, 2017

I will not be available for two sets of three days (24-26 and 30-01). And I will surely do no sacrifice for new or non-regular clients, except in case of big projects.

Egmont Schröder
Egmont Schröder  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2013)
Chinese to German
+ ...
Not really Dec 12, 2017

I don't mind to get some days off, this year was not too bad. But I think I don't have a real option, and I had too many breaks this year.
I am in Taiwan anyway, there is not much Christmas and New Year celebration. The big thing here is Chinese New Year (which I will miss this time).

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:14
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
yes Dec 12, 2017

But most of my clients aren't going to be calling me anyways. One of them asked if I'd be available and I said yes. I don't mind doing a job or two during the holidays and making a bit of money, especially if the weather is bad. They may need something and there aren't many who do my language pair or reviewing. I doubt anyone else will need me. I plan on mostly relaxing with netflix and movies!

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Will be off December 23-26 + January 1st Dec 12, 2017

So pretty much I'll have the same holidays my clients do. Usually, right around the holidays, there is is flood of e-mails from Middle-Eastern and Asian agencies, which are clients I can generally do without anyway.
My current projects will have me working until December 22nd, and I haven't been asked to start jobs that are due until the new year, so my break may actually be longer.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
yes Dec 12, 2017

some days off, but mostly available.

I will find some time off to stay with my family though

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you plan on working or being available during the Christmas and year-end holidays?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »