Poll: Would you prefer to spend more, or less, time translating than you currently do?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Dec 9, 2017

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Would you prefer to spend more, or less, time translating than you currently do?".

View the poll results »

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:04
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'm happy! Dec 9, 2017

I like the schedule I had this year. The year 2015 was a killer. In 2016 circumstances prevented me from working full time. This year was close to perfect.

When I have down time, I wish I were more effective at maximizing the opportunity. I can get distracted when I don't have a translation that's demanding my full time and attention.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:04
Member (2006)
German to English
Happy Dec 9, 2017

But seriously, haw can you answer with " I don´t know"??

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:04
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Another happy soul Dec 9, 2017

I'm quite happy with what I have!

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Happy Dec 9, 2017

and grateful

Mair A-W (PhD)
Mair A-W (PhD)
Germany
German to English
+ ...
same, but more evenly distributed Dec 9, 2017

... is what I would prefer.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
happy Dec 9, 2017

Happy with what I have.
Too busy? sometimes, but at the end of the day it is ok

Mark Nathan
Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
@Michael Harrris Dec 9, 2017

Of course you could say "I don't know".

You might want to spend more time translating so you had more money, but you might think, "but then I would have less time to spend with my family, do exercise, write my novel etc." At which point you would say "this survey is a waste of time", and tick "I don't know".

Sundar Gopalakrishnan
Sundar Gopalakrishnan
India
Local time: 15:34
English to Tamil
+ ...
Not happy! Dec 9, 2017

I am not happy. I have to spend more and more time translating. Because there are no good dictionaries available for my pair "English - Tamil" in the market. The dictionary "Aankilam - Thamizh Sorkalanjiyam" (English-Tamil Dictionary) published by University of Madras, is an excellent and wonderful dictionary. But it was published in 1963-65. They haven't updated it yet. I don't know when they will do it. So when translating, I have to spend a lot of time in researching with the help of internet... See more
I am not happy. I have to spend more and more time translating. Because there are no good dictionaries available for my pair "English - Tamil" in the market. The dictionary "Aankilam - Thamizh Sorkalanjiyam" (English-Tamil Dictionary) published by University of Madras, is an excellent and wonderful dictionary. But it was published in 1963-65. They haven't updated it yet. I don't know when they will do it. So when translating, I have to spend a lot of time in researching with the help of internet.Collapse

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:04
French to English
I don't know Dec 10, 2017

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:04
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Same volume, more money Dec 10, 2017

My schedule is pretty full and I wouldn't want to increase the volume. Today is Sunday and I have 4000 words to translate. What actually needs to change (i.e. go back to the 2016 standard) is three tings that made me lose money this year:
1. The US Dollar and the EURO are 10% lower in Reals this year;
2. The ratio foreign clients/local clients has dropped 15% this year for me;
3. The volume of projects with more than 10.000 words has dropped 9%, and therfore the small jobs grew
... See more
My schedule is pretty full and I wouldn't want to increase the volume. Today is Sunday and I have 4000 words to translate. What actually needs to change (i.e. go back to the 2016 standard) is three tings that made me lose money this year:
1. The US Dollar and the EURO are 10% lower in Reals this year;
2. The ratio foreign clients/local clients has dropped 15% this year for me;
3. The volume of projects with more than 10.000 words has dropped 9%, and therfore the small jobs grew by 9%.
These three factors together represented a loss of more than 20% in my income this year. If I'm able to revert this back to the 2016 standards in 2018, no need to increase the volume of work. Otherwise, I'll have to, against my will.

[Edited at 2017-12-10 01:07 GMT]
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
I don't know either! Dec 10, 2017

I'm trying to work out the best balance and I'm not sure I've achieved it yet. I think this is mainly due to the fact that you never know when it's going to go quiet or how long for, so you can't really plan anything, just seize a series of moments. My other priorities are changing as my family is growing up and away, so I have more time on my hands too. Should I work more and use the money wisely, or do more of my volunteer work?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would you prefer to spend more, or less, time translating than you currently do?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »