Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Wendy Streitparth
Wendy Streitparth  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:38
German to English
+ ...
Not often Dec 8, 2017

But if it is a topic which really interests me and I am keen to do the translation, then yes.

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:38
French to English
Yes Dec 8, 2017

I never did work out how to make a good CV, so if I get the chance to impress via a test, I'm happy to try.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 10:38
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yes and No Dec 9, 2017

For a fee - Yes
For free - No

I might do a few things - like reviewing a short passage or translating an extra line here and there - for regular customers 'on the house.' However, potential customers do not get freebies; they have to pay my minimum charge. Besides, having been in business full-time as a translator for the past 32 years translating from a language that is regarded as one of the most difficult on the planet must tell a potential customer something.
And, if
... See more
For a fee - Yes
For free - No

I might do a few things - like reviewing a short passage or translating an extra line here and there - for regular customers 'on the house.' However, potential customers do not get freebies; they have to pay my minimum charge. Besides, having been in business full-time as a translator for the past 32 years translating from a language that is regarded as one of the most difficult on the planet must tell a potential customer something.
And, if potential customers talk about potential large volumes of work, then they should put it on the table up front. So, in the words of Willie Nelson, "So, you show me yours and I'll you mine."
Collapse

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:38
English to Italian
it depends Dec 9, 2017

If it is a general request like:
we are expanding our database... no thanks

If it comes with a specific request, as it happened a some time ago, when I was asked to provide a test patent translation in 3 different fields (I could choose 1 to 3). That was a reasonable request and I accepted.

So basically if we are talking, seriously talking, about a future cooperation and terms and rates have already been agreed, I am available.
If I think you are just collec
... See more
If it is a general request like:
we are expanding our database... no thanks

If it comes with a specific request, as it happened a some time ago, when I was asked to provide a test patent translation in 3 different fields (I could choose 1 to 3). That was a reasonable request and I accepted.

So basically if we are talking, seriously talking, about a future cooperation and terms and rates have already been agreed, I am available.
If I think you are just collecting CV's and Test translations, for something that can come up one day, maybe, ok I am busy thank you
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:38
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Is there an alternative? Dec 10, 2017

Actually, more than 70% (maybe more) of my regular clients asked me for a sample translation. Had I been reluctant with that, waht would the results be in my portfolio? It's not very smart, IMO, to refuse to do sample tests, as long as the client or agency has a good reputation in the market and the sample is not abusive (too big).

Diana Obermeyer
Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:38
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Sometimes Jan 18, 2018

Mario Chavez wrote:

I've done free test translations as part of a job interview process. It's part of the cost of “doing business.”

Pretty much.

If the test is short and sweet, and the client appears attractive, I will do a free test without deadline.
A paid test is just an assignment. That's available to anyone who is happy to pay my rates.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you accept test translations?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »