Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: What has been the longest period when you had little or no work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:45
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A couple of days Dec 6, 2017

I have at least one client that sends me small files (apps, marketing) practically every day. And several other clients that send small jobs sporadically. So, I hardly ever stay more than a couple of days without work. But in certain weeks I only get these small jobs, it's true, so considering the volume per week, sometimes I get a really lousy week.

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:45
Catalan to English
+ ...
The solution Dec 7, 2017

Most translators I know are relieved to actually have a quiet spell provided it's a short one (defining "short" depends on them).

But if you find that work seems to have dried up and are getting a bit jittery, simply write to all your clients announcing that you're going to take the next two weeks off.

I can guarantee you'll get an offer the next (if not the same) day.

Never fails.

Little Woods
Little Woods  Identity Verified
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
me, 2 weeks to a month Dec 7, 2017

I have 2 weeks to a month period but I think mostly because I stick to my rate (which is on a generally higher side of the rate scale and it is higher than rate posted in my profile. I stop updating it and kind of deleting most infos) and not so readily accepting new clients. I only work with my regular clients. New clients these days tend to be demanding and asking for best of everything. My best may be not their best. I think with these current translation platforms, it is more and more like U... See more
I have 2 weeks to a month period but I think mostly because I stick to my rate (which is on a generally higher side of the rate scale and it is higher than rate posted in my profile. I stop updating it and kind of deleting most infos) and not so readily accepting new clients. I only work with my regular clients. New clients these days tend to be demanding and asking for best of everything. My best may be not their best. I think with these current translation platforms, it is more and more like Ub*r or Gr*b but I dont accept to be same as their drivers.

In those off days, I am still busy with other things. It never ends with things I want to do to feed up my creative mind. If it is too long, I start to things maybe I should change my focus now and onto other businesses then new tasks roll in.

[Edited at 2017-12-07 18:48 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What has been the longest period when you had little or no work?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »