Sebastian Wasserzug
Sebastian Wasserzug  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 00:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 20, 2013

Hi!

Argentina and Iran have recently singed a Memorandum of Understanding in relation to a terrorist attack in Buenos Aires in 1994 -the infamous "AMIA case," a it is known. Its endorsement by the Argentinean Congress is expected to take place in these coming weeks.

This MoU is already causing a lot of controversy in Argentina, not least because there seem to be discrepancies between the Spanish and English versions of the text.

I was wondering if anyone
... See more
Hi!

Argentina and Iran have recently singed a Memorandum of Understanding in relation to a terrorist attack in Buenos Aires in 1994 -the infamous "AMIA case," a it is known. Its endorsement by the Argentinean Congress is expected to take place in these coming weeks.

This MoU is already causing a lot of controversy in Argentina, not least because there seem to be discrepancies between the Spanish and English versions of the text.

I was wondering if anyone here could have a look at the Farsi version (pages 31-33 in the PDF link bellow) and report on its accuracy against the English version (pp. 37-39).

Unfortunately, I do not speak any Farsi, so English descriptions/explanations would be ideal!

TIA!

Sebastian

http://diputados.ucr.org.ar/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/PE-296-12-IRAN.pdf
Collapse

Ahmad Hosseinzadeh
Ahmad Hosseinzadeh  Identity Verified
Iran
Local time: 06:53
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Just some minor mistakes Mar 5, 2013

Dear Sebastian,

I read through the Farsi and English versions, and didn't find any major discrepancy. There are just a few minor problems which I list them here:

Under section (1): “commissioner” should be simply عضو.
Under section (2): “rules of procedure” once is translated as آیین کار and another time as آیین‌نامه اجرایی.
Under section (3): “Once the commission is established” is missing from the Persian version.
... See more
Dear Sebastian,

I read through the Farsi and English versions, and didn't find any major discrepancy. There are just a few minor problems which I list them here:

Under section (1): “commissioner” should be simply عضو.
Under section (2): “rules of procedure” once is translated as آیین کار and another time as آیین‌نامه اجرایی.
Under section (3): “Once the commission is established” is missing from the Persian version.
Under section (4): “from both parties” is missing from the Persian version.
Under section (5): “to questioning of whom” is translated as سؤال از اتباع ایرانی [literally, questioning Iranian nationals].
Under section (6): There’s a phrase in Persian version that’s not in the English one (پس از امضا توسط وزرای خارجه جمهوری اسلامی ایران و جمهوری آرژانتین literally, after being signed by the ministers of foreign affairs of Islamic Republic of Iran and Republic of Argentine).

Hope this would help,

Ahmad.
Collapse

Sebastian Wasserzug
Sebastian Wasserzug  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 00:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a million! Mar 6, 2013

Hi Ahmad,

Wow -thanks a lot for your accurate and useful report!! It's been very helpful, yes. Seems like a pretty accurate rendering into Persian then, no doubt. (I've also received a couple of private messages from colleagues confirming what you're saying).

Have a good Wednesday in far-away legenday Iran!

Cheers,

Sebastian

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Mahmoud Akbari[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Comments on the accuracy of Farsi version of MoU

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »