Persian/Farsi keyboard layout questions
Thread poster: RichardPerry
Mar 19, 2010

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me with a few questions I have about Persian/Farsi keyboard layouts.
Namely, I am trying to design a Persian/Farsi keyboard for a touchscreen phone to be used in Pakistan, and I'm wondering which keyboard layout I should use.

My questions:

1. Is this the most commonly used Persian/F
... See more
Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me with a few questions I have about Persian/Farsi keyboard layouts.
Namely, I am trying to design a Persian/Farsi keyboard for a touchscreen phone to be used in Pakistan, and I'm wondering which keyboard layout I should use.

My questions:

1. Is this the most commonly used Persian/Farsi keyboard layout?
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/isd/common/windows/languages/images/farsi-keyboard.gif

Or is it this one (in which the letter peh has moved down to the bottom row) more common?
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/28/41843368_780bd9aaa7.jpg

Or is it something else?

2. When typing on a Persian/Farsi keyboard, how does one enter the Zero-Width Non-Joiner character? That is, if I want to enter a word with two letters that are next to each other, and I don't want these letters to be connected, how do I keep them from being connected?

Thanks in advance very much for your help!

RP
Collapse

Abdulvahed
Abdulvahed  Identity Verified
Iran
Local time: 11:54
English to Persian (Farsi)
persian keyboard layout Mar 24, 2010

Hi
As I am not sure whether your question refers to touchscreen phone keyboard layout or computer keyboard – which are incomparable in their Persian version¬¬¬— the first case in your question http://www.ucl.ac.uk/isd/common/windows/languages/images/farsi-keyboard.gif is widely used persian/Farsi keyboard layout.As for your question on prev
... See more
Hi
As I am not sure whether your question refers to touchscreen phone keyboard layout or computer keyboard – which are incomparable in their Persian version¬¬¬— the first case in your question http://www.ucl.ac.uk/isd/common/windows/languages/images/farsi-keyboard.gif is widely used persian/Farsi keyboard layout.As for your question on preventing two letters being connected I think you should use space bar. Hope this would help.
Collapse

Edward Plaisance Jr
Edward Plaisance Jr  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:24
Member (2008)
Persian (Farsi) to English
+ ...
Persian keyboard Aug 16, 2010

You may find this helpful...
http://ehsanakhgari.org/article/miscellaneous/standard-persian-keyboard-for-windows

I did the installation on my Vista system and it works great.

Apparently the location of the "pe" on the bottom row is a new Iranian standard ISIRI 2901:1994

Ahmad Hosseinzadeh
Ahmad Hosseinzadeh  Identity Verified
Iran
+ ...
Where is /zh/ ? May 28, 2011

Hi,
I couldn't find the letter ژ /zh/ in any of your layouts. You may visit the following link.

http://chaloosnowshahr.parsiblog.com/Posts/99/فارسي%20ساز%20ويندوز%207%20و%20ويستا%20(Farsi%20for%20Win%20Seven%20(7)%20&%20win%20Vista)/

Edward Plaisance Jr
Edward Plaisance Jr  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:24
Member (2008)
Persian (Farsi) to English
+ ...
about the ژ May 28, 2011

On my keyboard, using the standard font linked below, you get the ژ by pressing the Shift+c keys.

Also you can see all of the letter locations by using the On Screen Keyboard. You can find this by going to Programs>Accessories>Ease of Access>On Screen Keyboard. I can never remember where the various "hamze" characters are located.

Hope this works for you.

Ahmad Hosseinzadeh
Ahmad Hosseinzadeh  Identity Verified
Iran
+ ...
Thanks Ed May 30, 2011

Edward Plaisance Jr wrote:

On my keyboard, using the standard font linked below, you get the ژ by pressing the Shift+c keys.

Also you can see all of the letter locations by using the On Screen Keyboard. You can find this by going to Programs>Accessories>Ease of Access>On Screen Keyboard. I can never remember where the various "hamze" characters are located.

Hope this works for you.

Thank you Edward. I know the place of ژ and also different types of همزه and علائم زبرزنجیری as well because I'm typing Persian for more than 4 years. You're right, Ctrl+ز will result in ژ, but in newer layouts (you may check the one I sent in my previous post), a special key (in English mode: \) is dedicated to ژ and پ is moved to (`). But these two letters don't have a high frequency in Persian words and I think that's why their places are changing in different layouts.

alex kuki
alex kuki
France
Persian/Farsi keyboard layout Oct 8, 2023

Designing a Persian/Farsi keyboard layout for a touchscreen phone is a thoughtful initiative. I can provide some insights to help you with your questions:

Keyboard Layouts:
Persian/Farsi keyboard layouts can vary, but the most commonly used layout is the "ISIRI 2901" or "ISIRI 9147" standard layout. In this layout, the letters are arranged in a QWERTY format similar to the English keyboard. The layout you linked to in the first image is a standard ISIRI 2901 layout.
... See more
Designing a Persian/Farsi keyboard layout for a touchscreen phone is a thoughtful initiative. I can provide some insights to help you with your questions:

Keyboard Layouts:
Persian/Farsi keyboard layouts can vary, but the most commonly used layout is the "ISIRI 2901" or "ISIRI 9147" standard layout. In this layout, the letters are arranged in a QWERTY format similar to the English keyboard. The layout you linked to in the first image is a standard ISIRI 2901 layout.

The second layout you mentioned, with the letter "peh" moved down to the bottom row, is less common. It's essential to note that the ISIRI 2901 layout is more widely accepted and used as the standard Persian keyboard layout.

Zero-Width Non-Joiner (ZWNJ):
To enter the Zero-Width Non-Joiner character (ZWNJ) on a Persian/Farsi keyboard, you typically use the "Shift" key in combination with another key. The specific key combination might vary depending on the keyboard layout and software being used.

On the ISIRI 2901 layout, for example, you can usually find ZWNJ by pressing "Shift" + "/" or "Shift" + "?" key. On some keyboards, it might be located elsewhere, so you should check the documentation or keyboard settings for the exact key combination.

The ZWNJ character is used to prevent the automatic joining of characters, allowing you to type words with non-joining letters.

It's a good practice to ensure that your touchscreen phone's Persian/Farsi keyboard layout follows the ISIRI 2901 standard, as it's widely recognized and used in Persian typing. Additionally, make sure to provide users with easy access to special characters like ZWNJ for precise typing.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Mahmoud Akbari[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Persian/Farsi keyboard layout questions

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »