Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:19
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Dan Feb 19, 2021

Dan Lucas wrote:
Lincoln's implied argument is sound: shouldn't old threads be locked? If the answer from ProZ.com is "no", then he's not breaking any rules by resurrecting old threads.

The fact that old threads are not locked does not mean that any type of reply to old posts are acceptable. The fact that there is flexibility in the rules of a system does not mean that it is acceptable to try to destroy that system as long as you don't, strictly speaking, break any rules.

Lincoln is on a crusade to break the forums and chase away keen participants. His intention is crystal clear, and he thinks that he's going to get away with it because he's "not breaking any rules". Well, he's breaking the biggest rule.

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Angie Garbarino

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:19
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
We're being played, and responding in precisely the wrong way Feb 19, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:
The fact that there is flexibility in the rules of a system does not mean that it is acceptable to try to destroy that system as long as you don't, strictly speaking, break any rules.

Samuel, let's be clear: I'm as annoyed by this as anybody else. I'm also disappointed as the person in question has - to my mind - generally been one of those who sees the world a little more clearly than most. This is not mature behaviour on his part.

Nevertheless, my guess that the fact that he is not breaking any rules, strictly speaking, is precisely the argument he wishes to make. A rule that is implicit rather than explicit, one that depends on the kindness of strangers (or as you put it, a shared understanding of what is "acceptable") rather than the force of law, is worthless: that's his point. He presumably became irritated that there was no explicit rule barring the reopening of old threads, and is now on a crusade that has taken on a life of its own.

In the absence of a move by ProZ.com itself, the only thing we can do, collectively, is not engage. In reality many people who should know better - yourself included - continue to engage, to comment on threads that he has reopened, and to generally add fuel to the fire. (Even my response here adds a little energy to this whole fracas.)

If we ignore him, the problem will not go away, but it can be minimised.
All we need to do is turn our backs.
We're failing to do that.

Regards,
Dan

PS I joined my first online forum 30 years ago, on 13 February 1990, before the web even existed, and I have seen this dynamic play out many times since then...

[Edited at 2021-02-19 08:45 GMT]

Angie Garbarino
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Joe France
writeaway

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 03:19
Chinese to English
+ ...
Do tell Feb 19, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

Dan Lucas wrote:
Lincoln's implied argument is sound: shouldn't old threads be locked? If the answer from ProZ.com is "no", then he's not breaking any rules by resurrecting old threads.

The fact that old threads are not locked does not mean that any type of reply to old posts are acceptable. The fact that there is flexibility in the rules of a system does not mean that it is acceptable to try to destroy that system as long as you don't, strictly speaking, break any rules.

Lincoln is on a crusade to break the forums and chase away keen participants. His intention is crystal clear, and he thinks that he's going to get away with it because he's "not breaking any rules". Well, he's breaking the biggest rule.

I absolutely agree that yellows replying to old posts is not acceptable. I also absolutely agree that yellows complaining about replies to old posts is also not acceptable.

As I have said over and over again - I am simply falling in line with what the community has told me, saying exactly what my white masters have told me. They are going to have to sort it out among themselves what should be and what should not.

[Edited at 2021-02-19 10:08 GMT]

Daryo

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
What is disturbing? Feb 20, 2021

Angie Garbarino wrote:

I found it anachronistic, useless and confusing, people often do not realize the start date, so discussion become odd, obsolete and useless, in 20 years the world has changed, many different things happened.
I wonder if there is a way to stop this, perhaps by locking the more obsolete ones?
Thanks a lot

[Edited at 2021-02-16 14:27 GMT]

These threads are not "dead" (why call them "necro..."?) so they can't be "resuscitated"

They are just "in hibernation" - what's wrong with waking them up?

What I find "disturbing" is that anyone would want to harm hibernating threads.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have explained in my post you are quoting now. Feb 21, 2021

Daryo wrote:

Angie Garbarino wrote:

I found it anachronistic, useless and confusing, people often do not realize the start date, so discussion become odd, obsolete and useless, in 20 years the world has changed, many different things happened.
I wonder if there is a way to stop this, perhaps by locking the more obsolete ones?
Thanks a lot

These threads are not "dead" (why call them "necro..."?) so they can't be "resuscitated"

And i never called them necro, so please before attacking read correctly.

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
Attacking? Feb 25, 2021

Angie Garbarino wrote:

Daryo wrote:

Angie Garbarino wrote:

Thanks a lot

And i never called them necro, so please before attacking read correctly.

Attacking?

I was merely expressing my opinion.

It's no more nor less "attacking" than calling other people's actions "anachronistic, useless and confusing".

[Edited at 2021-02-26 10:00 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
He's not the only one Feb 26, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

....Lincoln is on a crusade to break the forums and chase away keen participants...

He's not the only one, nor even the worst one. There are others - a tiny number of individuals - who are engaged in a deliberate, unrelenting intention to kill these forums by reducing and trivialising every thread down to the level of adolescent chat.

If you're wondering who I'm referring to, just watch this thread.

[Edited at 2021-02-26 10:11 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Matthias Brombach
Pete in Finland

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'm watching Feb 26, 2021

Thanks for the heads-up, Tom. I'll certainly keep my beady eye out for those deliberate, unrelenting forum-killing scoundrels.

Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Angie Garbarino
Dan Lucas
writeaway

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Absolutely, I will have ... Feb 26, 2021

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up, Tom.

... an eye on them too, and report them immediately!

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
Angie Garbarino
P.L.F. Persio
writeaway

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Quoting a removed post.
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Quotes and replies to a removed post.
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Online without the WWW Feb 26, 2021

Dan Lucas wrote:

I joined my first online forum 30 years ago, on 13 February 1990, before the web even existed

Then maybe, like me, you were on good old IRC (Internet Relay Chat) - which still exists. Hey, Mervyn and Chris - why don't you go over there?

https://www.mirc.co.uk/

Tom

[Edited at 2021-02-26 11:38 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Angie Garbarino

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:19
German to English
+ ...
per se vs not per se Feb 26, 2021

Per se, the revival of an old thread here and there is not a bad thing. It happens most often when a novice joins a site, browses through its contents, finds something interesting and responds ..... not realizing that it was written ten years ago. Or there is something truly interesting, you have new ideas about it. If a thing is done for the purpose of creating mischief, confusion, undermining - well intent makes the difference.
We have to choose a title in our thread replies. If some
... See more
Per se, the revival of an old thread here and there is not a bad thing. It happens most often when a novice joins a site, browses through its contents, finds something interesting and responds ..... not realizing that it was written ten years ago. Or there is something truly interesting, you have new ideas about it. If a thing is done for the purpose of creating mischief, confusion, undermining - well intent makes the difference.
We have to choose a title in our thread replies. If someone knows they are responding to an old thread, then good intent would probably reflect that in the title. There was one such thread a few weeks ago that I think was asking if a given country, which is now one of the hard hit ones Covid-wise, was a good place to visit. That should have had an 'old thread' header in it of some kind. (for example)
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
MollyRose

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Issue... Feb 26, 2021

... solved. Thank you, Angie! 😀

[Bearbeitet am 2021-02-26 12:22 GMT]

Angie Garbarino

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Resuscitation of 20 years old threads is disturbing

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »