Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:20
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
It has its roots in the dark past Nov 21, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

that they have a "London" brand in Germany, which - I suppose - is because of what it rhymes with, almost.

The "London" brand is a spin-off from the earlier "London Rubber Company", established in 1915. It was tried to be introduced in Germany already in 1938 as part of the Munich Agreement, where the Nazis argued with the (among others) mad idea, the Germans were a "People without Space", without colonies etc. The British Foreign Secretary Halifax tried to react in a constructive and logical way (less people = more space) and ordered above shown products from London, for free and as a surprise gift. When the lorries from Dover finally arrived on the Obersalzberg, well, the sad consequences are well known ...

[Bearbeitet am 2020-11-21 11:43 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:20
Danish to English
+ ...
Fresh? Nah. Nov 21, 2020

One of my local supermarkets. Perhaps not so fresh.

Screenshot 2020-11-21 174157

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Nah, not really ... Nov 22, 2020

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

... and clearly visible that the market is situated in the East of Germany: Take their logo in the upper right section of your picture and what complete abbreviation do you get with the third word (full word) abbreviated. Got it? And do the cashiers wear uniform and click with their heels, when you pay? And what symbol do we have on the ground in the front, a bit washed out? Just questions.

[Bearbeitet am 2020-11-22 08:59 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2020-11-22 11:34 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Christopher Schröder

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
NP in DE Nov 22, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

... and clearly visible that the market is situated in the East of Germany: Take their logo in the upper right section of your picture and what complete abbreviation do you get with the third word (full word) abbreviated. Got it? And do the cashiers wear uniform and click with their heels, when you pay? And what symbol do we have on the ground in the front, a bit washed out? Just questions.

Yes, got it. 😄 I didn't hear any clicking sounds.

Matthias Brombach

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Conspiracy Nov 22, 2020

Thomas T. Frost wrote: I didn't hear any clicking sounds.

... and did you see the URL of their home page?

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Website Nov 22, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:

... and did you see the URL of their home page?

😄

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I just downloaded their advertising folder Nov 22, 2020

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

😄

Special offer next week: MUSKATNUSS!
(see post further above; please press this button: ▶ )

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Nutmeg Nov 22, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:

(see post further above; please press this button: ▶ )

You lost me there.

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Upon popular request Nov 22, 2020

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Matthias Brombach wrote:

You lost me there.

... here we are again with the link, leading to a famous recipe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc5LaNcTAfU

expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost
Christopher Schröder

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Matthias Nov 22, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Matthias Brombach wrote:

You lost me there.

... here we are again with the link, leading to a famous recipe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc5LaNcTAfU

Thank you for bringing the brilliant Louis de Funès!

Matthias Brombach
Thomas T. Frost

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
NP Nov 22, 2020

I get the "NP" bit, but I have a feeling I'm missing something, I'm afraid. Due to a lack of knowledge about modern-day Germany, I suppose. Is the NP brand known to be East German, or do you just know that Thomas lives in the former DDR from another thread some time ago?

I loved the Louis de Funès video, though. I think it's the first time I've seen him not wearing a police uniform, but then I haven't seen all the films. I like to imagine the man was just as much a nutter off came
... See more
I get the "NP" bit, but I have a feeling I'm missing something, I'm afraid. Due to a lack of knowledge about modern-day Germany, I suppose. Is the NP brand known to be East German, or do you just know that Thomas lives in the former DDR from another thread some time ago?

I loved the Louis de Funès video, though. I think it's the first time I've seen him not wearing a police uniform, but then I haven't seen all the films. I like to imagine the man was just as much a nutter off camera as on.

So how does that kind of humour go down in Germany, former East or wherever, these days? And another thing - do they have war films there, the way the British and Americans do? What I mean is that it must be hard to do war films if the war didn't go so well for the side making them.

I'd like to stress here that this is a genuine interest, not my usual facetiousness ...
Collapse

expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost
Zibow Retailleau

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
A very wide field ... Nov 22, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

So how does that kind of humour go down in Germany, former East or wherever, these days? And another thing - do they have war films there, the way the British and Americans do? What I mean is that it must be hard to do war films if the war didn't go so well for the side making them.

... and perhaps I better should stop my allusions towards East Germany and the fact, that they have (or cause) problems with radical right-wing movements these days. Unfortunately no more limited to the east alone anymore, I have to admit. It is one thing to be able to laugh about Mr. Hilter and his gang from a safe distance, and to cope with today´s successors of these bloody bxxxxxds, which could be your next neighbours, colleagues or relatives today (and some of them are, in fact). Mervyn, we have tons of brilliant German films and books dealing with the past, which involve both the wars and whatever war you want, and what caused them. It depends on what level you would like to step in. And if you want, many critical and important movies also loaded with good and entertaining action to enjoy, if that is what you asked for. But, of course, no such master piece like "The Longest Day".

P.L.F. Persio

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Of course Nov 22, 2020

I'm sure there are plenty of those films and books. Today, unfortunately, and in this country too, and most especially given the circumstances, because people don't become exasperated when everything is going fantastically, evidently, there are many people advocating simple and "final" solutions. I still believe, though - and it shows - that you can laugh yourself out of most things if you try hard enough.

expressisverbis
Matthias Brombach
Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F. Persio

Zibow Retailleau
Zibow Retailleau  Identity Verified
Mauritius
Local time: 00:20
English to Chinese
+ ...
I know I shouldn't but Nov 22, 2020

this really looks institutionalised!

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/nov/22/germany-agrees-historic-mandatory-boardroom-quota-for-women

Christopher Schröder
Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
You really shouldn't ... Nov 22, 2020

.... because I can not quickly enough change my profile photo for stepping in into this diversity topic, because I lost my sunglasses (if you know what I mean).

Christopher Schröder
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »