Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Off topic: Has your works affected by corona virus?
Thread poster: Mehmet Çelik
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:58
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Good landlord Mar 20, 2020

Philippe Etienne wrote:

Elena Feriani wrote:
Jobs are still coming in but an agency has just announced they are going to cut all rates by 15%.

Next step is to extend payment terms. Beware.

If I worked only with such agencies and mimicked their practices, I'd have to increase the rent of a flat I'm renting to a young couple who will be hit hard.

Fortunately for this couple, I don't work with such agencies: I therefore have some slack to be accommodating if they get into trouble to pay their rent.

Philippe

Well done, Philippe. I wish all landlords were like you!

Philippe Etienne
Peter Shortall

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 13:58
English to Turkish
Americanisms Mar 20, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Off-topic

I'm just wondering when and why people started using the Americanism "reach out" instead of the much more concise "contact" or "get in touch". WTF?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EaflX0MWRo

[Edited at 2020-03-20 09:30 GMT]

Your post just reminded me of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnGPgCVJUsI

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
:( Mar 20, 2020

Screen Shot

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 13:58
English to Turkish
Interesting Mar 20, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Screen Shot

So you weren't able to open the video in England then? I wonder what Limmy (the artist in this video) would think about that

Tom in London

Tea Komšić
Tea Komšić  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 11:58
English to Croatian
+ ...
You are right Mar 20, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Tea Komšić wrote:

Honestly, I planned on starting my own business this year, that is, my own small agency, and slowly expanding it. But since this situation occurred, I am not sure right now, since my job has been affected. But hopes are, that I will manage to do that in the same way I planned it.

You could sign me up as your first translator

This quiet period might actually be the best time at which to set up an agency.

We have a deal I think you're right, I also thought about whether this period might be the best time to open my own business, since crises like this can also help an individual to expand. The only thing I can say is, I will continue to work hard and we shall, see, hopefully, a good result Also, good luck to everyone in this period!

Tom in London
Elena Feriani
P.L.F. Persio

Amy D Lang
Amy D Lang  Identity Verified
Austria
Hungarian to German
+ ...
Everything is just fine, like in any other spring. Mar 20, 2020

I do keep positive and enjoy my life.

The most annoying are people who sperad panic on the internet.

It is against my nature to worry or to let my mind be dragged around by some media hype or any "breaking" news.

I studied and researched a LOT in media and communications sciences and know pret-ty well, how it can go totally wrong.

Moreover I think that there are certain people or industries which benefit from everyone stuck in fear and panic, a
... See more
I do keep positive and enjoy my life.

The most annoying are people who sperad panic on the internet.

It is against my nature to worry or to let my mind be dragged around by some media hype or any "breaking" news.

I studied and researched a LOT in media and communications sciences and know pret-ty well, how it can go totally wrong.

Moreover I think that there are certain people or industries which benefit from everyone stuck in fear and panic, and I am not up to supporting them.

I feel blessed to have ever worked from home office and I think that linguists are one of those professionals who have a better sense than the rest of the public to distinguish non-sense from hard facts, and to me any threathening virus is not a real issue.

I have always lived healthy and know for sure that any illness is not my enemy. Becoming ill has more components and factors than just the occurrence of a virus.

Moreover I have studied plenty of statistics theories and practiced it as well and I know for sure that average people, unfortunately NOT educated in this field (which is a great loss for every such individual) have no understanding whatsoever of the innumerable ways and means how statistics can be biased, either in the study itself but definitely in their presentation to the public.

Just ask yourself or your friends and relatives who believe in the covid-panic, WHAT exactly makes them believe that this is true.

After all, we humans know pret-ty well that we should not believe everything we hear or read.

And then, when it comes to a sticky topic, everyone seems to have lost any reason and turns themselves in for being a mouthpiece for the mainstream media, and why?

Just because it is SUCH a dreadful thing as a virus.

We do know why horror movies are so successful: because people have a strange attachment with their subconscisous fears.

People actually are very much inclined with mass hysteria, finally, finally, people can admit to each other of their horrendous fear of SOMETHING that doesn't even need to be true, it is ENOUGH that you will earn social gratification from displaying fear from it.

It is a "script" that has been played on for so long now and there is plenty of examples of how people ALWAYS let themselves set up for another of these negative hypes.

That's just how a not too well developped society rolls.

It makes me think of society in terms of aging of individuals. I think that our society is a child still, or at best an adolescent.

Irrational, stubborn, unpredictable, rebellious, dependent, has a lot to learn yet.

I think that linguist might be the first to acknowledge this and maybe much more, and that we might offer solid truth and stability for those who are less comprehensive of how they are fooled and mislead by words from the media.

Best wishes to all my collegues here. Keep up the good work and don't let them fool you.

Amy
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Brian Joyce

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
They have done this before Mar 20, 2020

Elena Feriani wrote:

Jobs are still coming in but an agency has just announced they are going to cut all rates by 15%.

When the financial crisis hit, they did the same thing - unilaterally cut rates by 20%. I told them I will spend 20% less time on their jobs, so I kept my rates. Once the markets recovered, they never raised them back for other linguists. One of the most despicable companies out there. Sadly, they have grabbed most of the contracts in my area of expertise.

Elena Feriani

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
One rule for all Mar 20, 2020

Tom in London wrote:
I'm just wondering when and why people started using the Americanism "reach out" instead of the much more concise "contact" or "get in touch". WTF?

Around the same time they started using the Americanism “WTF” instead of the much less offensive “goodness me”?

But do please try to stay on topic (and avoid prophanities), especially at a time like this...

MollyRose

Selection Valley
Selection Valley
Saudi Arabia
English to Arabic
+ ...
Lost many deals Mar 20, 2020

We at Selection Valley lost many deals in the field of media production besides localization. Hope the market gets better soon.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
WElcome Mar 20, 2020

Chris S wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Around the same time they started using the Americanism “WTF” instead of the much less offensive “goodness me”?

But do please try to stay on topic (and avoid prophanities), especially at a time like this...

Thanks Chris. Your contributions to these discussions are always on-topic, and always helpful. Please don't stop.

Christopher Schröder

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
@ Tom Mar 21, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Strangely enough, jobs are still coming in, but will these agencies survive corona, in other words, will I still be paid at the end?

I think this is a risk we have to take.

That risk has always been there - virus or no virus.

Currently I have 7 outstanding invoices. I just have to assume they will be paid in full, on time. It's a risk we have to take.

Not exactly the same.

As I understood from earlier forums, you got a 'secret' way to get your money. What is your strategy when an agency goes bankrupt because of carona?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Clarification Mar 21, 2020

Robert Rietvelt wrote:
As I understood from earlier forums, you got a 'secret' way to get your money. What is your strategy when an agency goes bankrupt because of carona?

Robert, yes, I do have a method for persuading non-paying agencies (in Italy only) to pay me. It isn't "secret" but it's something I don't broadcast. I have been able to help a few Prozians with it. Lately I haven't had the problem.

But if an agency goes bankrupt (because of Caronavirus or anything else) I have no way of knowing.

Are you having a problem at the moment?

[Edited at 2020-03-21 13:27 GMT]

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
No problems Mar 21, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Robert, yes, I do have a method for persuading non-paying agencies (in Italy only) to pay me. It isn't "secret" but it's something I don't broadcast. I have been able to help a few Prozians with it. Lately I haven't had the problem.

But if an agency goes bankrupt (because of Caronavirus or anything else) I have no way of knowing.

Ware you having a problem at the moment?

[Edited at 2020-03-21 13:27 GMT]

Yet!

Yurim Jung
Yurim Jung  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 19:58
Member (2020)
English to Korean
+ ...
Not really...... (yet) Mar 22, 2020

I am trying to keep positive thoughts and enjoy my life at home.
And I hope everyone is safe and sound.

[Edited at 2020-03-22 02:39 GMT]

Tradwind (X)

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:58
Japanese to English
+ ...
"reach out" Mar 22, 2020

"We just wanted to reach out to you and tell you your services are no longer needed, you must vacate the premises immediately and you can expect no further pay or benefits from us. In other words, you are totally screwed. Just reaching out."

(P.S. I love the coffee mugs with the "wtf" logo)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Has your works affected by corona virus?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »