Thread poster: Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 11:39
Dutch to English
+ ...
Sep 30, 2019

I made the mistake of opening and working in an attachment and then saving it again in Thunderbird, all without saving it on my PC. Now I can't find it, not in any temp file on the C-drive. Does anyone have a suggestion how I can go about finding that file, or do I need to do the work all over again?

Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)
Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:39
English to Dutch
+ ...
Possible locations... Sep 30, 2019

You might want to have a look in C:\Users\[name of your user profile]\AppData\Local\Temp, that's where Thunderbird stores files that are opened from within the program. But my guess is, that when you close the file again, it is removed from there again. But you might be lucky...
IF your work still exists anywhere on your C:-drive, it should be possible to find it using the file date. In the Explorer, go to the topmost directory, click inside the Search bar, then in the search tab that appe
... See more
You might want to have a look in C:\Users\[name of your user profile]\AppData\Local\Temp, that's where Thunderbird stores files that are opened from within the program. But my guess is, that when you close the file again, it is removed from there again. But you might be lucky...
IF your work still exists anywhere on your C:-drive, it should be possible to find it using the file date. In the Explorer, go to the topmost directory, click inside the Search bar, then in the search tab that appears, search for Changed on > Today.
HTH.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:39
Danish to English
+ ...
Open recent Sep 30, 2019

If you worked in Excel or Word, you should be able to see your file under recent documents, open it and then save it where you need it.

If you still can't find it, try these two articles, which explain that messages and attachments are stored in your profile and where it is:

... See more
If you worked in Excel or Word, you should be able to see your file under recent documents, open it and then save it where you need it.

If you still can't find it, try these two articles, which explain that messages and attachments are stored in your profile and where it is:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1067402

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-where-thunderbird-stores-user-data?redirectlocale=en-US&redirectslug=profiles-tb#w_where-is-my-profile-stored

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\\

Sort by date to find the documents most recently changed.
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 11:39
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No luck Oct 2, 2019

Thank you both for your suggestions but unfortunately none of this worked. Fortunately the client was very understanding and just wanted to know the gist of it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help! Lost attachment saved in Thunderbird

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »