Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: What would you change about your office if you had the opportunity? (Home office makeover)
Thread poster: Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
Local time: 19:50
ProZ.com team
May 23, 2019

One of the prizes in ProZ.com's 20th anniversary Prize Giveaway is a makeover of your home office.

What would you change about your office if you had the opportunity?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
W8BEN May 23, 2019

Andrew Morris wrote:
See https://go.proz.com/prizes for details.

Okay, so I added that ProZ Pay thing (now three out of three). But why is the ProZ.com W8BEN form so much longer than the single page version that I generally send to US clients?

[Edited at 2019-05-23 19:48 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 13:50
English to Russian
+ ...
Whaaat? May 23, 2019

Too much showbiz really does a trick on human minds.

Did Proz buy a Wheel of Fortune franchise?

Can anyone imagine a professional whatever turning your home office upside down? Who has the time to allow a demolition crew to stop your work; who has the nerve to see the things dearest to you, in all its disarray and comfy, beautiful and most convenient "disorderly order", to be touched and manipulated by anyone? If you have a separate office at all, that is. I drew a fl
... See more

Can anyone imagine a professional whatever turning your home office upside down? Who has the time to allow a demolition crew to stop your work; who has the nerve to see the things dearest to you, in all its disarray and comfy, beautiful and most convenient "disorderly order", to be touched and manipulated by anyone? If you have a separate office at all, that is. I drew a flashing red line even for my cleaning ladies, no crossing under any circumstances, only cats allowed. I am not dreaming of posting the photos of a celebrity home office online. We turn into hermits in our shells when we translate from home, and our space must keep our aura to support us.

I bet my last skirt that any oldtimer, who will happen to have a senior moment and allow such makeover, would go back to h/h old ways within two weeks. Just imagine reaching and grabbing a fancy cache pot, offered by a sophisticated designer, instead of a book shelf:-).

Maybe this is for corporate members with offices?... I must stop here. Not being a paying member, which, incidentally, saves me from this lifetime opportunity, I have no right to discuss the justification of such expense.

Sorry, I warned that I am opinionated:-)
Collapse

Mirko Mainardi
Elizabeth Tamblin
Olavo Nogueira

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Agree about that, but... May 23, 2019

IrinaN wrote:

Can anyone imagine a professional whatever turning your home office upside down? Who has the time to allow a demolition crew to stop your work; who has the nerve to see the things dearest to you, in all its disarray and comfy, beautiful and most convenient "disorderly order", to be touched and manipulated by anyone?

Totally agree, but gawd... I was SO hoping for a Nepal/New Zealand trip!

Oh well... I'll buy a vowel...

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:51
French to English
@irinaN May 23, 2019

Great post, and very funny too. I have to agree - my little room is my sanctuary, even though it looks chaotic to everybody else. The thought of having a designer coming in... omg!

Olavo Nogueira
IrinaN

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
Local time: 19:51
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry was away May 23, 2019

Didn't have time to answer these questions this afternoon, as I was in the dentist's chair.

But if it's all showbiz anyway, then perhaps there was no need.

Hey ho. Another one bites the dust.

For questions as to why forms are different lengths, there's always [email protected]. As for me, I have no idea even what the question means...

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Professional designer, hmm? May 23, 2019

IrinaN wrote:
Can anyone imagine a professional whatever turning your home office upside down?

You watch too much television, Irina. Those divas on the home improvement shows are not professional designers. I, for one, would not mind having a professional designer take a good look at my office (along with the funds to implement her suggestions).

Andrew Morris

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 13:51
English to Russian
+ ...
Samuel, I am thoroughly confused May 23, 2019

[quote]Samuel Murray wrote:

IrinaN wrote:
You watch too much television, Irina.

???

Sorry, Samuel, no offense taken but I didn't get the television point. Occasionally I have my own thoughts:-) not to mention that I am not really familiar with the shows of the sort. I've seen their titles flipping the channels, watched one about a patched-up pile of rot turned "luxury home" and that was pretty much it.

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Wait... May 23, 2019

... is this a "home office" makeover, or a "Home Office" makeover? If it was the latter I'd definitely be interested.

Philip Lees
Jean Dimitriadis

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:51
German to English
+ ...
The question comes 24 hours too late ;) May 24, 2019

The co-op where I live just told me I'm next for changing my flooring from carpeting to a wood panel jobby. That's the only thing I really wanted to change and it's about to happen.

(I actually thought this was a genuine question originally). In the context of the event, I'm curious trying to imagine what was actually meant. For me it literally means flooring.

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
Genuinely genuine May 24, 2019

Maxi Schwarz wrote:

(I actually thought this was a genuine question originally). In the context of the event, I'm curious trying to imagine what was actually meant. For me it literally means flooring.

It IS a genuine question. The surprising thing is that people might think it's not...

A professional designer is being paid and given a budget to make changes that suit the translator. To me, it's a great idea. But then again my wife is a former architect and I see many examples of the places she has converted. And no, not on TV.

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
What would I change about my office? May 24, 2019

My office starts the day with a laptop on my big fish surfboard in table mode.
Then when the morning warms up (right about now) it’s off up to the roof garden for a panoramic view of the Andalusian mountains.
If I get bored with that I just jump in the van and go camp at the beach or up a mountain, taking breaks for kite/freediving in summer, ski-mountaineering in winter.
What would I change about my office?
Absolutely nothing

PS: Actually, been trying to
... See more
My office starts the day with a laptop on my big fish surfboard in table mode.
Then when the morning warms up (right about now) it’s off up to the roof garden for a panoramic view of the Andalusian mountains.
If I get bored with that I just jump in the van and go camp at the beach or up a mountain, taking breaks for kite/freediving in summer, ski-mountaineering in winter.
What would I change about my office?
Absolutely nothing

PS: Actually, been trying to come up with a way of fitting the Harley into this setup but can’t quite figure out where to put the dog (fatass Ridgeback-lab) sidecar out of the question.
Any ideas?
Collapse

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
Easy rider! May 24, 2019

Sounds idyllic Jo. My office has a view out over the entire city of Barcelona that stretches down to the sea... so I'm pretty happy too.

But there's an enormous range out there, with some people basically working in broom cupboards...

Re your dilemma, maybe you could buy your dog a Harley too. Problem solved.

Jo Macdonald

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Broom cupboard May 24, 2019

Yeah done that.
Worked in front of a wall for many years.
Wasn’t so bad actually, you kind of get used to things.

Re: bitch on bike
Think she might need trainer wheels on that

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What would you change about your office if you had the opportunity? (Home office makeover)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »