Egor Shapurov
Egor Shapurov  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:29
English to Russian
+ ...
May 4, 2019

Hello everyone,

I started learning Amharic a few weeks ago, and would like to start reading as soon as I can - probably in a few months.

Does anyone know where I can find classic fiction books/audiobooks in Amharic? I am still unable to search for it myself because I do not understand Amharic, but in a few months I would need it, and, as my experience shows, there is a certain shortage in this area in case of the languages of less developed countries.

I wou
... See more
Hello everyone,

I started learning Amharic a few weeks ago, and would like to start reading as soon as I can - probably in a few months.

Does anyone know where I can find classic fiction books/audiobooks in Amharic? I am still unable to search for it myself because I do not understand Amharic, but in a few months I would need it, and, as my experience shows, there is a certain shortage in this area in case of the languages of less developed countries.

I would totally buy a copy of Lord of the Rings in Amharic (a digital copy - so I can copy and paste to the dictionary at once without having to type it) if there is one.

Thank you very much in advance.
Collapse

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:29
Japanese to English
+ ...
Fiction in Amharic May 4, 2019

If you google "books in Amharic" you should be able to find something. This will lead you to www.ebay.com which also has books in Amharic. Amazon India (amazon.in) also has several hundred titles. A good university library should lead you to what you want. You could also make contact with Ethiopians in your area.

Egor Shapurov
Egor Shapurov  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:29
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. May 4, 2019

Michael Newton wrote:

If you google "books in Amharic" you should be able to find something. This will lead you to www.ebay.com which also has books in Amharic. Amazon India (amazon.in) also has several hundred titles. A good university library should lead you to what you want. You could also make contact with Ethiopians in your area.

Have you personally tried it? I have got a good antivirus installed but do not feel like visiting most of the websites that come up if you google "books in Amharic".

What I am looking for is a trusted website where I can download/buy and download classical fiction books in Amharic, I think it would be rather hard to find if you do not speak the language (I do not).

A public library is also not an option - Munich does have good libraries, but I cannot imagine anyone giving me a digital copy of a book in Amharic there - in the best case they would have quite a few that I can read while being physically present in the library but I do have certain aversion to crowded and stuffy rooms, and would rather study at home.

As for amazon.in, I am also learning Hindi, and I cannot buy books there - they do not deliver Hindi books to Germany, let alone in some non-indian languages.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Classic Fiction in Amharic

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »