Thread poster: Andrew Morris
Natasha Ziada (X)
Natasha Ziada (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 20:44
English to Dutch
+ ...
I appreciate Apr 16, 2019

your response, Andrew, it takes courage admitting that (and I wouldn't want to be in your shoes anyway). I wonder if the difference here is that this is not technically 'your' group, and people might be taking offense at being 'tone-policed' by an outsider? These things might take a bit more time, or a slightly different approach, I don't know - but in the meantime let's all take a deep breath and, to paraphrase Elsa, let things go.

[edited to correct some Dunglish...
See more
your response, Andrew, it takes courage admitting that (and I wouldn't want to be in your shoes anyway). I wonder if the difference here is that this is not technically 'your' group, and people might be taking offense at being 'tone-policed' by an outsider? These things might take a bit more time, or a slightly different approach, I don't know - but in the meantime let's all take a deep breath and, to paraphrase Elsa, let things go.

[edited to correct some Dunglish]

[Edited at 2019-04-16 14:24 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Wetzel
Kay Denney
Megan Hershey
MoSpa
Ramey Rieger (X)
Jennifer White
Heather McCrae

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
Local time: 11:44
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
Music to my ears Apr 16, 2019

Thanks @Kay, your analysis is music to my ears. I personally don't think grumps contribute a huge amount, and often sour the atmosphere. And I am TOTALLY against gangs ripping people apart.

But you've been around here longer than me, and I defer to your greater experience.

As so often, the vast majority are good'uns, but the atmosphere is disrupted by a vocal minority. I won't name them here, but they are well known to all at ProZ.com

Ramey Rieger (X)

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
Whose group is it anyway? Apr 16, 2019

Haha Natasha I appreciate your response too.

Btw, I don't recall saying or even thinking it was my group. I would never presume...

As for 'outsider', well de facto yes, but I am of course being paid to do a job by ProZ.com, so am technically an insider now, whether people approve or not.

My remit includes messaging and that very much includes the forum. That's just how it is. And I have t
... See more
Haha Natasha I appreciate your response too.

Btw, I don't recall saying or even thinking it was my group. I would never presume...

As for 'outsider', well de facto yes, but I am of course being paid to do a job by ProZ.com, so am technically an insider now, whether people approve or not.

My remit includes messaging and that very much includes the forum. That's just how it is. And I have to get on with that job.

But let's reflect, while we're at it, at how a potentially explosive exchange can be defused when people are flexible and listen without ego, as I tried to do here (and I am as prone to the dangers of ego as any human being).

We turned it round, whereas we could have got involved in a real scrap, and that suggests to me that it's possible, and much more productive this way?

And yes, breathing away...
Collapse

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
Shoes Apr 16, 2019

@Natasha

Back to shoes... in fact I love this role, so don't worry about me.

Otherwise – it goes without saying – I wouldn't have accepted it.

It's a real opportunity, a challenge and a stretch, complete with all the ups and downs, triumphs and failures.

I wouldn't change a thing, not even these last two posts.

And now I feel this has run its course, and am going to lock the post.

Tom in London

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A change of tone?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »