Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Off topic: Your favourite films for the last year?
Thread poster: Eleni Makantani
Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:29
French to English
+ ...
Last year Apr 6, 2009

Films I've enjoyed recently:

There Will Be Blood
No Country for Old Men (both last year, both wonderful)

Frost/Nixon (this was absolutely fascinating)

Slumdog Millionaire - I really enjoyed the fast pace.

Atonement (not so recent but I just saw it last week, and it's a very faithful and evocative adaptation of an excellent novel)

Wall-E and Mamma Mia - I saw these while I was recovering from surgery last summer, and were both
... See more
Films I've enjoyed recently:

There Will Be Blood
No Country for Old Men (both last year, both wonderful)

Frost/Nixon (this was absolutely fascinating)

Slumdog Millionaire - I really enjoyed the fast pace.

Atonement (not so recent but I just saw it last week, and it's a very faithful and evocative adaptation of an excellent novel)

Wall-E and Mamma Mia - I saw these while I was recovering from surgery last summer, and were both exactly what I needed at that time. Though Pierce Brosnan's singing made me laugh so much I thought I'd break my stitches.

I'm going to see The Reader and Il y a longtemps que je t'aime this week, and Gran Torino in a couple of weeks. It seems to be a good year for films.
Collapse

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 13:29
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More films I now remember Apr 6, 2009

The visitor - a lovely film about tolerance, about searching (and finding) meaning in life.
Once - an sweet Irish film with wonderful music
Caos calmo - an Italian film starring a great Nanno Moretti
Genova - the latest film by Michael Winterbottom. I must confess I expected it to be better.

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:29
Russian to English
+ ...
Movies and books - The Kiterunner Apr 9, 2009

ICL wrote:

Susan Welsh wrote:

ICL wrote:
The Kite Runner (I did not read the book, so I cannot really tell if the movie is well adapted, but I really liked it.)

The movie is a pale reflection of the book! (I listened to the book as an audio-book on some long car rides a couple of years ago, and it is quite an astounding piece of work. What's left in the movie is basically "the plot."

Sometimes movies manage to create in a rather poetic way, through images or sound, what is sometimes hard to perceive/imagine when you read. I also love watching characters merely depicted with words become full-fleshed characters in movies.

Absolutely! I love to watch movies too. I'm going to print out this whole list of everyone's recommendations and start stacking them up on my Netflix list. I just wanted to point out that anyone who watched The Kiterunner and thought they "got it," didn't.
(I also read Dickens' "A Tale of Two Cities" for the first time some months ago, and was blown away by it. I actually read it twice, because the first time through, you can't figure out what the heck is going on. Then I watched the 1930s movie version that someone had told me was fantastic. I thought it stank. The book was barely recognizable in the film.)

Susan

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Talking about books and films... Apr 9, 2009

... next May we will see the film adaptation of Dan Brown's book "Angels and Demons". The film will feature again Tom Hanks as professor Langton and it will be directed by Ron Howard (as in The Da Vinci Code). I remember that The Da Vinci Code was a bad film, compared to a really fascinating book. I hope that Angels and Demons will be a better film. In the mean time, I am reading the book, which is quite thrilling.

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
More on books and films Apr 9, 2009

Reading Susan's and Eleni's latest follow-up comments about books and movies, this made me think of the next obvious question: should one judge a book or a movie based on either one being a version of the other?

That is, can you read a book whose film you have first seen without having any pre-conceived ideas about the quality of one or the other?

My point is that sometimes you can clearly watch a movie and consider it a great movie based on its sole/overall film qualit
... See more
Reading Susan's and Eleni's latest follow-up comments about books and movies, this made me think of the next obvious question: should one judge a book or a movie based on either one being a version of the other?

That is, can you read a book whose film you have first seen without having any pre-conceived ideas about the quality of one or the other?

My point is that sometimes you can clearly watch a movie and consider it a great movie based on its sole/overall film quality/contents, without necessarily having to associate it to its creative source (and vice versa).

This is why I liked "The Kite Runner" film. In my opinion, the film achieved some great moments of emotion/poetry, drama and even historical "flashes" that make it worth watching, in spite of maybe not being "as complete" as the book, as Susan commented.

I get the impression that nowadays, with such a variety of entertainment media to choose from (printed/electronic/audio books, movie theater films, DVDs, etc.), we are reaching a point where there is almost a massive "parallel" production of entertainment alternatives, which means that a book that becomes a best-seller may quickly become a film or even a video game, to keep making some extra profit from it.

I noticed this happening rather quickly with a book I read about vampires, "Twilight", which I believe in less than a year after it became a best-seller a movie version was made of it, which apparently has also become a blockbuster.

Not that this is anything new, it is just happening faster than perhaps how it used to happen years ago, when there was not so much media technology available.

Anyway, I am also keeping an eye on this thread to see if I can get some of the titles mentioned here in our street video rental store.

For those having a longer (Easter) weekend, enjoy it,

Ivette

P.S: last night I watched a film from Ecuador (and I believe partly produced by Spain) which was quite interesting (no book version, AFAIK, ), at least from the cultural clash point of view. I just thought it was worth mentioning it since Ecuador movies probably do not make it to the Oscars or to the video rental store as often.

It's called, in Spanish, "Qué tan lejos" (more or less in English "How far"), and I thought it was interesting because it is a "road movie" where a group of travellers (mainly 2 women) meet and share an experience which changes their way of thinking about life.

Collapse

Kristina Radziulyte
Kristina Radziulyte  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Member (2006)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...

Thanks + one recommendation Aug 21, 2009

I'd like to thank Michael J.W. Beijer for recommending "Michael Clayton", and Eleni Makantani for "Once" - I loved both films so much!
In return I’m posting my latest discovery: "Ellie Parker" (2005) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0436262/). It's an old movie but really worth to see. It's about an aspiring actress in Hollywood with no luck. Naomi Watts’ acting here is truly amazing.
... See more
I'd like to thank Michael J.W. Beijer for recommending "Michael Clayton", and Eleni Makantani for "Once" - I loved both films so much!
In return I’m posting my latest discovery: "Ellie Parker" (2005) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0436262/). It's an old movie but really worth to see. It's about an aspiring actress in Hollywood with no luck. Naomi Watts’ acting here is truly amazing.

[Edited at 2009-08-21 23:20 GMT]
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
In the Loop Aug 22, 2009

I greatly enjoyed "In the Loop" - a cynical (hence funny) slant on the British/American "special relationship" and grotty politics generally.
Yes, "Frost/Nixon" was brilliant. Terrific performances by both principal actors and fascinating that the writer managed to make a film about little else than two men talking in armchairs so tense.
As for "Slumdog Millionaire", well yes, the pace and acting were terrific, but as to its widespread description as a "feel good movie", well, it mad
... See more
I greatly enjoyed "In the Loop" - a cynical (hence funny) slant on the British/American "special relationship" and grotty politics generally.
Yes, "Frost/Nixon" was brilliant. Terrific performances by both principal actors and fascinating that the writer managed to make a film about little else than two men talking in armchairs so tense.
As for "Slumdog Millionaire", well yes, the pace and acting were terrific, but as to its widespread description as a "feel good movie", well, it made me feel pretty bad.
"Da Vinci Code"? I haven't read the book, but it's a fascinating subject for a thriller. I think the film failed partly because of the extreme complexity of the plot but mainly because the two main characters were so limp, watery and uninteresting that the viewer really couldn't care much about what happened to them. Nice cameo by Ian McKellan, though.
Films, I love 'em.
Jenny
Collapse

Rafael Rafael
Rafael Rafael
United States
English to Spanish
my favorite horror movies Apr 10, 2019

I’m a big fan of horror movies because they are mysterious, creepy, and thoughtful.
Top 3 from me, all of them released in 2018! Recomend!

The Meg
See more
I’m a big fan of horror movies because they are mysterious, creepy, and thoughtful.
Top 3 from me, all of them released in 2018! Recomend!

The Meg
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4779682
https://www4.two-movies.name/watch_movie/The_Meg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsLk0NPRFAc

Venom
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1270797
https://www4.two-movies.name/watch_movie/Venom_2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLCn88bfW1o

A Quiet Place
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6644200
https://www4.two-movies.name/watch_movie/A_Quiet_Place
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9wE8dyzEJE
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
BEst ever Apr 11, 2019

Kristina Radziulyte wrote:

I'd like to thank Michael J.W. Beijer for recommending "Michael Clayton"

One of the best films I've ever seen- Very profound.

The best film I've seen this year is Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 11/9"

Best film ever: Polanski's"Chinatown"- it says everything about everything.

[Edited at 2019-04-11 12:03 GMT]

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
An excellent medical drama Apr 11, 2019

El Mal Ajeno (in English, For the Good of Others), directed by Oskar Santos.
I recommend it!

andreas18
andreas18
United States
Movie of 2009 Nov 22, 2019

For me, Avatar the first 3d movie was the film of 2009 which I think I watch more than three times in cinemas. I can say I play my part to make this film the highest-grossing movie until Avengers: Endgame.

herry zuk (X)
herry zuk (X)
United States
Russian to Polish
+ ...
20year Oct 18, 2020

This year I liked the most in the movie Gentlemen, probably Aladdin by Guy Ritchie. Not bad too.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Your favourite films for the last year?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »