Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Encourage my daughter to speak in Hindi...
Thread poster: TMOM
TMOM
TMOM
English
TOPIC STARTER
Trying very hard! Mar 1, 2006

Hi All,

Thanks for all the feedback. I am speaking to her in Hindi and trying hard to influence her to reply back in Hindi. Mostly she doesnt want to repeat what I say but now after 4 weeks of bombaring in Hindi she is definetely understanding. I can see her respond as soon as I say something to my husband. It has been quite tough for both of us as we are sucummed to habit.

Yes, we have ordered a lot of books and dvds on the internet. Thanks for all the feedback (es
... See more
Hi All,

Thanks for all the feedback. I am speaking to her in Hindi and trying hard to influence her to reply back in Hindi. Mostly she doesnt want to repeat what I say but now after 4 weeks of bombaring in Hindi she is definetely understanding. I can see her respond as soon as I say something to my husband. It has been quite tough for both of us as we are sucummed to habit.

Yes, we have ordered a lot of books and dvds on the internet. Thanks for all the feedback (especially balaji for providing all the web sites)....

She is responding still in English. I hope one day we can carry a conversation in Hindi but somehow that seems faint.

I am planning to put her in Hindi learning school this summer (every Sunday) and hopefully she gets more motivated about the language.
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:01
German to English
+ ...
Great! Just keep it up! Mar 3, 2006

TMOM wrote:
She is responding still in English. I hope one day we can carry a conversation in Hindi but somehow that seems faint.

All I can say is don't give up! It took me 3 yrs. of trying before my daughter would respond in Latvian. Just stay consistent and make it as fun as possible.

I am planning to put her in Hindi learning school this summer (every Sunday) and hopefully she gets more motivated about the language.

We send our daughter to Latvian Saturday school (younger one will start this fall), and this helps immeasurably, particularly because they have singing and folkdance classes, which is what kept my daughter "hooked" on Latvian and Latvian culture.

Best of luck to you!

Gita Madhu (X)
Gita Madhu (X)
Local time: 01:01
French to English
Sing your way to language mastery Mar 8, 2006

TMOM wrote:

Hi All,

Yes, we have ordered a lot of books and dvds on the internet. Thanks for all the feedback (especially balaji for providing all the web sites)....

The best way to learn a language is through songs- play some catchy Hindi film songs (There are loads of them). If she shows signs of liking one in particular, play it often.

Such indirect methods are the most efficient.

Of course she might end up with Phillumi Hindi but that's the way the cookie crumbles!

Most South Indians have a deep seated Anti-Hindi streak but Hindi films have carved their lyrics on even the most die hard of them.
You can access a lot of songs online at musicindiaonline.com, smashits.com and Raagaonline.com.
Happy crooning, baby!
Gita

TMOM
TMOM
English
TOPIC STARTER
Update... May 3, 2006

Just to update you guys. It has been few months of talking to my daughter in Hindi and My 3 year old is saying a lot in Hindi...

I have gathered a lot of material and we now speak to her naturally and she mixes English and Hindi when she speaks to me.

Thanks guys....

learn with fun Oct 22, 2012

I would like to share a Fun way to learn Hindi for Kids - http://www.sunosunao.com/

It offers structured Hindi learning curriculum via interactive online worksheets, which come with a lot of pictures, Roman text, Hindi text and professionally recorded sounds. its curriculum has been developed by multiple experienced professionals based on recent researches in Pedagogy, i.e., Science of Teaching. ... See more
I would like to share a Fun way to learn Hindi for Kids - http://www.sunosunao.com/

It offers structured Hindi learning curriculum via interactive online worksheets, which come with a lot of pictures, Roman text, Hindi text and professionally recorded sounds. its curriculum has been developed by multiple experienced professionals based on recent researches in Pedagogy, i.e., Science of Teaching.

Thank You!
Collapse

Helena Diaz del Real
Helena Diaz del Real  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:01
German to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Make her be proud/happy of knowing the language Oct 22, 2012

Hi,
My son is bilingual german and spanish. He speaks fluently both.

I think the most important is to make her be proud or happy to know this language. I.e. explain her stories in which she sees how helpful is to know hindi. Or tell her great things about the history of your folk. Whenever you read fairy tales, do it in hindi. And if possible, let the action happen in India, with hindi speaking persons. Make her eager to learn, listen or read (whenever she is able to) this lan
... See more
Hi,
My son is bilingual german and spanish. He speaks fluently both.

I think the most important is to make her be proud or happy to know this language. I.e. explain her stories in which she sees how helpful is to know hindi. Or tell her great things about the history of your folk. Whenever you read fairy tales, do it in hindi. And if possible, let the action happen in India, with hindi speaking persons. Make her eager to learn, listen or read (whenever she is able to) this language. And of course, speak hindi to her. English is the language she will hear all around. So your husband and yourself are those who had to add hindi in your daily life. You are the "inteface" between the place you happen to live now and her/your roots.

I also spent hughe quantities of money buying books, CD, DVD in Spanish, and I do not regret one single cent of it. Anything related to language should be in hindi. Of course, few exceptions are OK, but they must remain an exception.

As somebody said, try to go to India as often as possible. And try to remain there as long as you can.

Well this is what I do with my son and it works very well. Lately he came home, very proud, because an elderly boy who has spanish at school, asked him for help with homework. And for my son it was very easy and with 10 years, he was able to help a 13 or 14 years old boy! He was soooooooooo happy! And soooooooooo proud!!! I think such experiences are extremely helpful to make a child become bilingual, as in my opinion, the most important think is NOT to obligate the child to speak a language, but to make him proud or to make him love to speak it. If you get it, the rest will come almost alone.

I hope it helps!

Kind regards,
Helena
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Encourage my daughter to speak in Hindi...

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »