Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Off topic: What language do you speak to your dog?
Thread poster: Ivars Barzdevics
Ulozas
Ulozas
Luxembourg
Local time: 22:00
gavs! gavs! May 11, 2010

As a joke, you might just localise the doggy language The best friend of a man has to understand his language (that applies to the human best friends of men, too).
In fact, the animals use phonetic and non-verbal recognition patterns, as I sometimes do with my baby's friend babys - just say in a lauder voice "put that back on the table!" and show where, and it worked in several languages. I guess that's the same with the do
... See more
As a joke, you might just localise the doggy language The best friend of a man has to understand his language (that applies to the human best friends of men, too).
In fact, the animals use phonetic and non-verbal recognition patterns, as I sometimes do with my baby's friend babys - just say in a lauder voice "put that back on the table!" and show where, and it worked in several languages. I guess that's the same with the dogs, because the smartest canines may reach understanding of a 3-year old human.
Collapse

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:00
Portuguese to English
+ ...
various May 11, 2010

sokolniki wrote:

.. to my dog since he was born and has lived all his life in the US (native speaker?) . However to my Russian cat which I brought over with me 8 years ago I spoke Russian. The dog and the cat could communicate well in spite of the language barrier and did not require my interpretation services.

That amused me.

Anyway, I had a dog name Pipoca (portuguese for popcorn), and I spoke to him in Portuguese. Oddly, my Brazilian (now ex-)wife spoke to him in English. She took Pipoca with her when she left.

Now I have a cat, Flaquito, and I speak to him in Spanish, mostly, but also, occasionally, in Portuguese, and, sometimes even English.

Iris Shalev
Iris Shalev  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 23:00
English to Dutch
+ ...
Mixture... May 12, 2010

Nice thread!

In our household, Hebrew, Dutch and English are spoken - also to the dog and cat! Their native language is Hebrew, though, so if I want them to really understand something urgently ("get off the table", "leave that hedgehog alone") I speak to them in Hebrew. I find I do the same with my children... but when we're just conversing, I speak in Dutch (my native language) and sometimes English!...
See more
Nice thread!

In our household, Hebrew, Dutch and English are spoken - also to the dog and cat! Their native language is Hebrew, though, so if I want them to really understand something urgently ("get off the table", "leave that hedgehog alone") I speak to them in Hebrew. I find I do the same with my children... but when we're just conversing, I speak in Dutch (my native language) and sometimes English!

It's confusing, but we manage!
Collapse

Werner Walther
Werner Walther  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Language in talking to yourself and in your dreams May 12, 2010

The question "What language do you speak to your dog (cat, horse, hamster etc.)?" seems to me of similar interest as the questions "In which language do you speak to yourself, when you're talking to yourself" and "What is (are) the language(s) in your dreams?" Some of you might not accept this questions, others might be fascinated about this looking into the mirror. Freud or Jung or others might have written on this issue, but I am not aware of that. I don't know, if this has already been discus... See more
The question "What language do you speak to your dog (cat, horse, hamster etc.)?" seems to me of similar interest as the questions "In which language do you speak to yourself, when you're talking to yourself" and "What is (are) the language(s) in your dreams?" Some of you might not accept this questions, others might be fascinated about this looking into the mirror. Freud or Jung or others might have written on this issue, but I am not aware of that. I don't know, if this has already been discussed in ProZ, if not, should we?Collapse

Vincenzo Di Maso
Vincenzo Di Maso  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:00
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
doggish or doggy! May 12, 2010

LOL I speak a simplified Italian with him. Of course when I start to call him he understands.
PS His name is Marek

J.Muldoon
J.Muldoon
Germany
German to English
German and English May 12, 2010

As my mother and I share custody of him, he hears mainly German from her and English from me.
Some commands sound better in German though, "Auf dein Platz!" usually lets him know that he's really pushing his luck and had better sit in his bed and be quiet for a bit.
As far as most commands go though, he's a whippet, and his response is generally to tilt his head quizzically to one side and give me a long, thoughtful "What sort of fool do you take me for" look....
See more
As my mother and I share custody of him, he hears mainly German from her and English from me.
Some commands sound better in German though, "Auf dein Platz!" usually lets him know that he's really pushing his luck and had better sit in his bed and be quiet for a bit.
As far as most commands go though, he's a whippet, and his response is generally to tilt his head quizzically to one side and give me a long, thoughtful "What sort of fool do you take me for" look.
Collapse

LJC (X)
LJC (X)
France
French to English
+ ...
Old dog, new tricks May 13, 2010

My dog was about 10 years old when he was apparently dumped and I took him in ‘until his owners were found’. That was three years ago.

It’s not true that you can’t teach an old dog new tricks. He’s French and only took about a week to learn English (but nine months to learn not to chase the cat).

I speak to him in English and my partner speaks to him in French.

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:00
Portuguese to English
+ ...
A spelling dog May 13, 2010

I do not have a dog at present, but when I grew up my parents always had dogs and usually cats, with most dogs being German Shepherds.

We always spoke to the dogs (and cats) in English, and I remember one of the dogs could even spell. When my mother spelt "W-A-L-K" the dog would rush to the door and sniff her lead.

Cécile Sellier
Cécile Sellier  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 01:00
English to French
+ ...
My cat... Sep 28, 2010

sokolniki wrote:

.. to my dog since he was born and has lived all his life in the US (native speaker?) . However to my Russian cat which I brought over with me 8 years ago I spoke Russian. The dog and the cat could communicate well in spite of the language barrier and did not require my interpretation services.

That made me laugh too!!

My cat Oasis is a native speaker of French, but she's getting used to English now that my English boyfriend lives with us! I speak French to my cat when it's just the two of us, and English when my boyfriend's with us. She doesn't seem to understand much English yet though

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Frenglutch Sep 28, 2010

I speak a mix of French, English and Dutch to my cats. Whichever language comes first at that that particular moment in time. I guess I must be confusing them, because they always seem to ignore my commands

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:00
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
We speak "Cat" Sep 29, 2010

I know, I know. This is highly embarrassing. Our feline beast (part Siamese, a rather talkative species known for their abundance and virtuosity of emitted sounds) has trained us properly. So, cat-like onomatopoeia has become a household-language to my husband and me. Don't tell anyone...

Kim Meyers
Kim Meyers
United States
Local time: 16:00
Member (2009)
English to Thai
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Probably Thai and English (Bilingual) if We Have One! Nov 7, 2010

It took me a while before I came across this thread! Wish we could have "Like" as they do on Facebook ha!

[Edited at 2010-11-07 18:12 GMT]

Sarah Jane Webb
Sarah Jane Webb  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
@Kim Nov 7, 2010

Kim Meyers wrote:

It took me a while before I came across this thread! Wish we could have "Like" as they do on Facebook ha!

[Edited at 2010-11-07 18:12 GMT]

We can recommend this thread on Facebook, I just did
(just click on the button under the title on page 1)
Sarah

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:00
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Cats Jan 23, 2015

I always address cats in Italian.

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Boy soprano Jan 23, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

I always address cats in Italian.

My cat loves Italian opera too. He is a boy soprano.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

What language do you speak to your dog?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »