Thread poster: ca.services
ca.services
ca.services  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:15
French to English
+ ...
Nov 23, 2009

Hello everybody,
My daughter's name is Sonja, spellt with a "j" due to my german origins. She goes to school in France. The "j" changes the pronounciation of her name. Her french teacher has asked her to write her name properly and she was quite upset, since her name is spellt with a "j".
Any suggestions?

canaria
canaria
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:15
French to English
+ ...
Explain Nov 23, 2009

Explain to your child's teacher that her name is actually spelled with a 'j'. Nobody should have to change the way their name is spelled or pronounced just because someone else isn't familiar with that name.

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
What an insensitive teacher, I would complain Nov 23, 2009

Poor child, I can only imagine how she felt when the teacher told her that her name was spelled wrong. My daughter is called Aimee, we live in Spain and all her teachers has always read her name wrong, but she just told them how to say it and they did, no fuss, no problem. We are fortune here, in Mallorca, because there are many nationalities (over 45) in the school where my daughter goes and people are used to names that aren't "normal" for the country we live in.

Perhaps that is t
... See more
Poor child, I can only imagine how she felt when the teacher told her that her name was spelled wrong. My daughter is called Aimee, we live in Spain and all her teachers has always read her name wrong, but she just told them how to say it and they did, no fuss, no problem. We are fortune here, in Mallorca, because there are many nationalities (over 45) in the school where my daughter goes and people are used to names that aren't "normal" for the country we live in.

Perhaps that is the problem with your daughter's teacher she is closed minded and does not realize that nowadays a persons name is not translated.

I would have a word with the teacher and tell her that your daughters name is not French and therefore does not follow French pronunciation rules. If that fails I would complain to the school director and if that fails just keep escalating, surely someone in France will understand that diversity means accepting names that are "different".
Collapse

JackieMcC
JackieMcC
French to English
Probably first of many Nov 23, 2009

Hello,

we live in France and my daughter, who's called Eléanor, spends the first few days/weeks of every new school year correcting her teachers, who seem unable to read the name they see on the page in front of them and, in some cases and particularly when Eléanor was younger, insisted she was "wrong" and they were "right".

She's fifteen now, and has been shouting out "its EléAnor, not EléOnorE" ever since she started school age 3 !!

I suspect Sonja w
... See more
Hello,

we live in France and my daughter, who's called Eléanor, spends the first few days/weeks of every new school year correcting her teachers, who seem unable to read the name they see on the page in front of them and, in some cases and particularly when Eléanor was younger, insisted she was "wrong" and they were "right".

She's fifteen now, and has been shouting out "its EléAnor, not EléOnorE" ever since she started school age 3 !!

I suspect Sonja will have to do the same

We laugh about it, but one good thing about this is that Eléanor's not afraid to speak out and stand up for herself.

I would definitely have a word with the teacher though.

Jackie
Collapse

Angelica Kjellström
Angelica Kjellström  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Insist on preferred spelling Nov 23, 2009

Hi ca.services,

Please tell your daughter to insist on the spelling of her name as "Sonja". No other people than you and your dauhter has the right to suggest that they "know better". You are entitled to choose the spelling and pronounciation of your own name!

I would like to mention myself as a comparison: My name is Angelica (I have a mother born in Germany). I was baptized as the German name "Angelika" as the name is spelled there. However, as I grew up I myself chan
... See more
Hi ca.services,

Please tell your daughter to insist on the spelling of her name as "Sonja". No other people than you and your dauhter has the right to suggest that they "know better". You are entitled to choose the spelling and pronounciation of your own name!

I would like to mention myself as a comparison: My name is Angelica (I have a mother born in Germany). I was baptized as the German name "Angelika" as the name is spelled there. However, as I grew up I myself changed the spelling to "Angelica" with a "c". Everyone is fine with this except the authorities. By now, I am used to being called "Angelika" by the authorities, but still I refuse to sign my name that way in my correspondence with them.

So just persevere:-)

Kind regards,

Angelica
Collapse

Berni Armstrong
Berni Armstrong  Identity Verified
Spain
English
+ ...
Tell her she is still living in the 20th C! Nov 23, 2009

My title might sound a little rude, but please, Europe is now a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic place, where issues like this should be superseded today.

How does that teacher cope with Chinese, Hungarian, Botswanan and Maghrebi names?

Tonia Wind
Tonia Wind
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Don't change spelling... Nov 23, 2009

Hi!

Thanks for your post. I agree with everyone that the teacher is very much to blame here, and that you have every right as a parent to discuss this with the teacher (or the teacher's superior if that doesn't work).

I can relate as my name is written with an "o" instead of an "a", and an "i" instead of a "y" (Tonia) like is most common in the US (Tania or Tanya). Here in Brazil I can't tell you how many times people have asked me "is this right?", while looking at my
... See more
Hi!

Thanks for your post. I agree with everyone that the teacher is very much to blame here, and that you have every right as a parent to discuss this with the teacher (or the teacher's superior if that doesn't work).

I can relate as my name is written with an "o" instead of an "a", and an "i" instead of a "y" (Tonia) like is most common in the US (Tania or Tanya). Here in Brazil I can't tell you how many times people have asked me "is this right?", while looking at my ID card. Um...yes, it is! My middle name is also a problem here (Leigh) and I get very interesting pronunciations of that part of my name (usually something along the lines of "light"). I don't try to correct the pronunciation, though, because I know that it is a foreign name for Brazil and it honestly doesn't bother me.

My daughter also has this problem as her name is Gabriella instead of Gabriela (which is how it is traditionally spelled here in Brazil). Her nickname is Gaby (pronounced Gab-be), but everyone here calls her Gabi (pronounced Ga-bee). She doesn't really mind, though, because it is more a question of pronunciation as opposed to someone trying to tell her she is writing her name incorrectly.

My other two children both have "normal" names for Brazil (Rafael and Gabriel), so we don't have any problem with them!

As a mother, I would certainly have a talk with the teacher and make it perfectly clear to him/her that there is nothing WRONG about how your child writes her name. Changing the way she writes it just to make a teacher happy is like changing who she is as a person. Her name is part of who she is....part of her personality. I don't think we should have to change that for ANYONE!

Good luck and best regards,

Tonia
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
21st century, Berni ;) Nov 23, 2009

Berni Armstrong wrote:

My title might sound a little rude, but please, Europe is now a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic place, where issues like this should be superseded today.

How does that teacher cope with Chinese, Hungarian, Botswanan and Maghrebi names?

As for the rest, I agree with you... and with the other colleagues, as I still "feel the burn" to be laughed at by the whole class when I spoke German in the French kindergarten (a crime de lèse-majesté, perhaps?)...

Kaspars Melkis
Kaspars Melkis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Latvian
+ ...
Spelling is often adapted in Latvian Nov 23, 2009

In Latvian translations the spelling of personal names are often changed to adapt to Latvian pronunciation and grammar. Sometimes the original spelling is used in official texts or put in the parentheses but fully transcribed in general texts like newspaper articles etc.

It is a controversial issue though but I think it is normal that the spelling of personal names is adapted in languages with more phonetic spelling rules. Nobody would be surprised to see their names transcribed whe
... See more
In Latvian translations the spelling of personal names are often changed to adapt to Latvian pronunciation and grammar. Sometimes the original spelling is used in official texts or put in the parentheses but fully transcribed in general texts like newspaper articles etc.

It is a controversial issue though but I think it is normal that the spelling of personal names is adapted in languages with more phonetic spelling rules. Nobody would be surprised to see their names transcribed when translated into a language with a different script like cyrillic, hindi or japanese. The similar script is only a part of issue as the case endings still would have to be added to the names and non-phonetic reading of the original names with a phonetically readable case endings would make a mess in general use.
Collapse

Berni Armstrong
Berni Armstrong  Identity Verified
Spain
English
+ ...
I did indeed mean the 20th C. Laurent! Nov 23, 2009

I mean the woman is probably still one of those who look back with nostalgia on the "ethnically clean" 20th Century - where foreigners in small towns across Europe were exotic and seldom seen phenomena.

When I came to the town where I live in Catalonia (a mere 24 years ago) I was exotic. Back then, there were three foreigners I knew of, among a population of 5,000. Now 20% of the town were not born on the Iberian peninsula. We have people here from all over the globe. Those who rej
... See more
I mean the woman is probably still one of those who look back with nostalgia on the "ethnically clean" 20th Century - where foreigners in small towns across Europe were exotic and seldom seen phenomena.

When I came to the town where I live in Catalonia (a mere 24 years ago) I was exotic. Back then, there were three foreigners I knew of, among a population of 5,000. Now 20% of the town were not born on the Iberian peninsula. We have people here from all over the globe. Those who rejoice in this diversity are 21st Century people, those who hark back to a "Spanish Only" past are firmly rooted in the last century. I was guessing that this prejudiced teacher is one of the latter.
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
France
French to German
+ ...
Hint taken Nov 24, 2009

Berni Armstrong wrote:

That makes it even better, Berni. Thanks for my first laugh of the day (and hopefully not the last one)!

ca.services
ca.services  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much everybody Nov 24, 2009

Dear All,

Thank you all so much for your comments.

Sonja has often corrected people and it has never been a problem but coming from a teacher she was intimidated and upset. I'm proud to say, that she refused to change the spelling and told her teacher that her name is Sonja with a "j", which is what we had always told her. But coming from a teacher, even I had a doubt.

I definately agree, she seems to be that old-fashioned type of teacher, as Berni says 20
... See more
Dear All,

Thank you all so much for your comments.

Sonja has often corrected people and it has never been a problem but coming from a teacher she was intimidated and upset. I'm proud to say, that she refused to change the spelling and told her teacher that her name is Sonja with a "j", which is what we had always told her. But coming from a teacher, even I had a doubt.

I definately agree, she seems to be that old-fashioned type of teacher, as Berni says 20th century, if not further. I will have a talk to her and thanks to you all I feel very strong and sure of myself now.

Claudia
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
France
French to German
+ ...
What about the "administrative" aspect? Nov 24, 2009

Another thought about Sonja's teacher, as French administrations are known as Nervenklauer and nitpickers: did this teacher ever think about the fact that Sonja may run into trouble because of her (the teacher's) insistence on a spelling which is different from the official one?

And really... After all the fuss that was made some years ago about having a child named Mégane when her family name was Re
... See more
Another thought about Sonja's teacher, as French administrations are known as Nervenklauer and nitpickers: did this teacher ever think about the fact that Sonja may run into trouble because of her (the teacher's) insistence on a spelling which is different from the official one?

And really... After all the fuss that was made some years ago about having a child named Mégane when her family name was Renault, one could expect a little bit more respect for seemingly unusual first names...

[Edited at 2009-11-24 08:57 GMT]
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Legal trouble Nov 24, 2009

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

I've seen it. After three years of residence in the US, a former boss' son (Spanish) received his diploma in medicine from a US institution with his father's surname reduced to an initial and his mother's surname figuring as his family name. (Of COURSE he protested; the paper couldn't be processed where he intended to practise).

I also remember a case in Switzerland wherein a German father had to drive his baby daughter to the German civil registry (she was born in Switzerland) because of an argument about Liesl/Liesel. Sonja won't be holding a French passport, will she?

[Edited at 2009-11-24 17:05 GMT]

AnneMarieG
AnneMarieG  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Poor teacher... Nov 24, 2009

... she is probably sick of having children in her class who can't even count and spell properly; so here you go, not even their own names!

And if Sonja's surname sounds and looks French (does it?), how on earth do you want her to guess the first name is correct - I mean wrong from a French perspective

I am wondering... your daughter presumably has this teacher since September... if this is such a big iss
... See more
... she is probably sick of having children in her class who can't even count and spell properly; so here you go, not even their own names!

And if Sonja's surname sounds and looks French (does it?), how on earth do you want her to guess the first name is correct - I mean wrong from a French perspective

I am wondering... your daughter presumably has this teacher since September... if this is such a big issue... why didn't you see the teacher earlier... !! Just teasing you

By the way my name is misspelled in all languages; I am used to it. I answer to anybody calling me 'Ann', 'Annemarie', 'Ana', etc.
Only worry: in times of computers, right spelling becomes an issue!!

Cheers,

Anne-Marie

[Edited at 2009-11-24 17:17 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Translating or changing spelling of first names

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »