Tonia Wind
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:12
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 3, 2009

Dear Colleagues,

It is my pleasure to have the opportunity to work alongside Daiana Couyet and Angelica Kjellstrom as the new co-moderator of the Multilingual Families Forum at ProZ.com.

I am American, was raised 50/50 between the US and the UK (American father and British mother), am married to a Brazilian with whom I have three wonderful children, and live and work in Brazil and the US (more in Brazil now than in the US). So, I was thrilled when I was chosen to help m
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

It is my pleasure to have the opportunity to work alongside Daiana Couyet and Angelica Kjellstrom as the new co-moderator of the Multilingual Families Forum at ProZ.com.

I am American, was raised 50/50 between the US and the UK (American father and British mother), am married to a Brazilian with whom I have three wonderful children, and live and work in Brazil and the US (more in Brazil now than in the US). So, I was thrilled when I was chosen to help moderate this forum as I deal with living in and dealing with a multilingual family on a daily basis!

I have been a ProZ.com member since 2005 and have greatly benefited from the variety of translator-related resources available on this great site. As a moderator, I now hope to be able to give something back to the rest of the translator community here at ProZ.com, while at the same time continuing to enjoy, network and learn from the rest of my peers.

I am very proud to be part of this new moderator team, and will do my best to make this a memorable year. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments via e-mail or through my ProZ.com profile page.

Thanks and all the best,
Tonia
Collapse

Daiana Siri
Daiana Siri
Argentina
Local time: 08:12
English to Spanish
Greetings from your new co-moderator - Multilingual Families Forum Aug 3, 2009

Dear Colleagues:

I am pleased to introduce myself as a new co-moderator of this forum, together, with Toniawind and Angelica Kjellstorm.

In my case, I was born in a "regular” family, we all come from the same country!
But I am quite sure that listening to your stories and shearing your experiences will be quite rewarding.

I am looking forward to collaborate with all you, and I would be pleased to assist you in any inconvenience or concern you might
... See more
Dear Colleagues:

I am pleased to introduce myself as a new co-moderator of this forum, together, with Toniawind and Angelica Kjellstorm.

In my case, I was born in a "regular” family, we all come from the same country!
But I am quite sure that listening to your stories and shearing your experiences will be quite rewarding.

I am looking forward to collaborate with all you, and I would be pleased to assist you in any inconvenience or concern you might have.

If any doubt, please do not hesitate to contact me via email, my ProZ.com profile or through the link at the bottom of every page of this forum.

Thanks, and have a great week!
Daiana
Collapse

Angelica Kjellström
Angelica Kjellström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 13:12
German to Swedish
+ ...
Multilingual familes - Proz.Com moderators Aug 3, 2009

Hi Daiana and Tonia,

Nice to meet both of you! Like you, I have also signed up for the topic "Multilingual families". I believe we will have nice discussions together with our peers. I look forward to working with you.

I grew up monolingual (Swedish), with a German mother and a Swedish father. As we grew up, common thought was that it was best for the children not to communite in two languages until the child was about three-four years old. There is three years between
... See more
Hi Daiana and Tonia,

Nice to meet both of you! Like you, I have also signed up for the topic "Multilingual families". I believe we will have nice discussions together with our peers. I look forward to working with you.

I grew up monolingual (Swedish), with a German mother and a Swedish father. As we grew up, common thought was that it was best for the children not to communite in two languages until the child was about three-four years old. There is three years between my brothers and sister except for my younger brother who has Down's syndrome (six years). But the three oldest of us are all educated translators and even my younger brother speaks a little German and English.

You are welcome to contact me either via my e-mail, my ProZ.com profile or the via the link provided at the bottom of the Forum pages.

I look forward to working with you and to contribute with my experience and thoughts.

All the best,
Angelica
Collapse

Tonia Wind
Tonia Wind
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:12
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Greeting to Co-Moderators Aug 4, 2009

Daiana - Hi! It was great meeting you yesterday.

Angelica - Nice to meet you! Your background sounds like it is a wonderful fit for this Forum, and I am sure that we are going to have a lot of personal experience to share with our peers. Please feel free to contact me via e-mail, or messenger.

I thought your post was interesting because all children learn languages differently. I have always believed in u
... See more
Daiana - Hi! It was great meeting you yesterday.

Angelica - Nice to meet you! Your background sounds like it is a wonderful fit for this Forum, and I am sure that we are going to have a lot of personal experience to share with our peers. Please feel free to contact me via e-mail, or messenger.

I thought your post was interesting because all children learn languages differently. I have always believed in using both English and Portuguese at home naturally and interchangeably right from when my oldest (Gabriella - 12) was first born.

She took quite a long time to start talking as she was obviously processing both languages at the same time. She didn't really start speaking until she was well over 2. When she did, though, she spoke and understood both English and Portuguese.

My second child, Gabriel - 4, refuses to speak English. I have raised him using exactly the same method as I did with my daughter, he understands everything I tell him in both languages, but refuses to speak in English. He only speaks in Portuguese. I am hoping this will change after we make it past the terrible two's and three's and four's...;)

My youngest, Rafael - 2, is just starting to talk more now, but is quite happy to repeat (parrot fashion) anything I say in English or Portuguese. I believe that if you use both native languages at home in a natural manner, the children will have no problem in learning both naturally.

Glad to be here with both of you!
Take care,

Tonia
Collapse

Berni Armstrong
Berni Armstrong  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:12
English
+ ...
Good luck to the new co-mods... Aug 19, 2009

from one of the founding Mods on this little (but IMHO "vital") forum.

As a Dad of a trilingual child, I offer every encouragement to parents to stick at it!

I've even had the recent pleasure of seeing my daughter launch into trying to communicate with a French family by stringing together bits of her other three languages (Cat, Sp & Eng) - it was a hoot - and she made friends easily!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Greetings from your new co-moderator - Multilingual Families Forum

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »