Who has used MetaTexis? What is your opinion of it?
Thread poster: davidfw1866
davidfw1866
davidfw1866  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:52
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jun 6, 2013

Who has used MetaTexis?
What is your opinion of it?

Thanks for the feedback.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2013-06-06 19:38 GMT]

Anne Marie dos Remedios

jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Have used it for years and like it very much Jun 7, 2013

Hi David,

I have used MetaTexis for years now and am very happy with it. I use it mainly for Word documents, also PPT files.

The reasons I like it are: a) it's very easy to use (as in "even I can do it"), b) I never had the problem, which users of another famous CAT tool often experience, of completing a 20,000 word translation and then the software not being able to produce a clean file, c) their support system is outstanding (Yahoo group, answers include prompt feedba
... See more
Hi David,

I have used MetaTexis for years now and am very happy with it. I use it mainly for Word documents, also PPT files.

The reasons I like it are: a) it's very easy to use (as in "even I can do it"), b) I never had the problem, which users of another famous CAT tool often experience, of completing a 20,000 word translation and then the software not being able to produce a clean file, c) their support system is outstanding (Yahoo group, answers include prompt feedback from Hermann, the creator the MetaTexis), d) the price is very convenient.

Also note that you can export the TM in .tmx format and import into another CAT tool.

I suggest you give the Lite (free) version a try to see if it meets your needs.

Good luck!

Lucía
Collapse

Anne Marie dos Remedios

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:52
English to Czech
MetaTexis has used translators for textes in MS Word Jun 7, 2013

davidfw1866 wrote:

Who has used MetaTexis?
19:38 GMT]

Go to

http://www.metatexis.net

and in a menu on the left MetaTexis for Word

click an item "Customers"!, you shall get

MetaTexis for Word - Selected customers. Or, go to

http://www.metatexis.net/portuguese/index.htm

and you get

MetaTexis para Word - Clientes seleccionados.

You can download do MetaTexis para Word

Programa - Versão 3.173 - 29-05-2013
O pacote de instalação inclui os ficheiros do programa e a ajuda online. O manual pode ser baixado em separado mais abaixo.
Certifique-se de que instala a versão correcta: A versão do Windows é irrelevante, o que conta é a versão do Word!
Versão teste
Todas as funções estão disponíveis por um período de 60 dias ou por um máximo de 600 utilizações.
Após o período de teste, as funções mais avançadas são desactivadas, ficando as outras limitadas.

There is a manual from (31-12-2010) in Português.

O manual contém exactamente os mesmos tópicos que a ajuda online contida neste programa.

Cheers,

Milan
Czech MetaTexis Trainer

Olivier Ramillon (X)
Olivier Ramillon (X)
German to French
+ ...
Satisfied Nov 8, 2013

Hello,

I have been using MetaTexis for two years now and I am very happy with it.

I had been using Trados for 8 years before and when suddenly it would not work any more, I got no support at all from the Editor of Trados. I was only proposed to purchase a new (and indeed very expensive) version of Trados. This is what I call a zombie-CRM.

On the opposite, the support I get from M. Hermann Bruns (the author and real life boss) is far beyond reproach (less
... See more
Hello,

I have been using MetaTexis for two years now and I am very happy with it.

I had been using Trados for 8 years before and when suddenly it would not work any more, I got no support at all from the Editor of Trados. I was only proposed to purchase a new (and indeed very expensive) version of Trados. This is what I call a zombie-CRM.

On the opposite, the support I get from M. Hermann Bruns (the author and real life boss) is far beyond reproach (less that 24 h). Last but not least, the program is much cheaper as well.

Olivier
Collapse

Elena Ruiz
Elena Ruiz

Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
Bad experience with Excel Mar 12, 2014

I bought Metatexis some months ago and for me it's been a waste of money. Importing Excel files is disastrous, no matter how small they are, it takes centuries to import. When it's finally done, you think you are ready to translate, want to run a statistics log with a TM and it takes again so long (about 20 minutes). In the meanwhile I tried to work on, but functions like copy/paste are "occupied" by Metatexis, so you cannot use them on another program. OK, then, let's check my mail and let Meta... See more
I bought Metatexis some months ago and for me it's been a waste of money. Importing Excel files is disastrous, no matter how small they are, it takes centuries to import. When it's finally done, you think you are ready to translate, want to run a statistics log with a TM and it takes again so long (about 20 minutes). In the meanwhile I tried to work on, but functions like copy/paste are "occupied" by Metatexis, so you cannot use them on another program. OK, then, let's check my mail and let Metatexis do its job. But nope, Metatexis pisses me off trying to stay at the front of the screen.

OK, I'm now ready to work. I write the first sentence, I hit the keys to move on and again, it takes really really too long to jump to the next translatable sentence. I'm faster writing it down with a pen. And for the record, my PC is just one year old, so fast enough.

I haven't used it with Word, and I read good critics when working Word files, but come on, every free software can manage Word files. I bought the NET/Office version to handle professional Excel and complicated files.

At this moment I'm truly dissapointed, I hope it works well for you.
Collapse

Alena Hrybouskaya
Alena Hrybouskaya  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Russian
+ ...
Excellent expierence with Excell as well Mar 13, 2014

I've been using MetaTexis for over three years now and not even once had any problems with it. It has really changed my life. I translate a lot of Excel and Power point files with it and unlike what said by Elena Ruiz my computer runs just as fast as with Word files.
I find this tool very easy to use, very efficient and really helpful. I've tried other CAT tools before buying this one and I find MetaTexis the best of all.

Anne Marie dos Remedios

kd42
kd42
Estonia
Local time: 00:52
English to Russian
Metatexis and term endings in target Mar 25, 2019

Dear all,

I translate EN>RU, and use many glossaries, my CAT tool is Wordfast classic which has an opportunity to:
a) check the presence of the target term in the translation;
b) accommodate a great variety of Russian word forms in one glossary entry
e.g.
EN:
wardrobe
wardrobes
RU:
гардероб
гардероба
гардеробу
гардеробом
which are all fit into a single entry = wardr
... See more
Dear all,

I translate EN>RU, and use many glossaries, my CAT tool is Wordfast classic which has an opportunity to:
a) check the presence of the target term in the translation;
b) accommodate a great variety of Russian word forms in one glossary entry
e.g.
EN:
wardrobe
wardrobes
RU:
гардероб
гардероба
гардеробу
гардеробом
which are all fit into a single entry = wardrobe* -- гардероб*
where anything goes after the asterisk.

I did honestly try to read the manuals, but lost hope of finding the answer, I suspect it is there somewhere.

Please kindly comment.
Thank you.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Who has used MetaTexis? What is your opinion of it?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »