Michaela Gallo
Michaela Gallo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:03
German to English
+ ...
Jan 9, 2012

Hi to everybody, and a happy New Year,

I hope you can help me with the following dilemma. I have been testing Wordfast Pro and MetaTexis, in order to see which of these tools better suits my needs as a freelance translator. I gained the insight that MetaTexis has difficulty translating diagrams, but seems to cope effortlessly with a lot of file types, breaking footnotes and comments into separate sections. I haven’t attempted some file types with this tool yet though, so r
... See more
Hi to everybody, and a happy New Year,

I hope you can help me with the following dilemma. I have been testing Wordfast Pro and MetaTexis, in order to see which of these tools better suits my needs as a freelance translator. I gained the insight that MetaTexis has difficulty translating diagrams, but seems to cope effortlessly with a lot of file types, breaking footnotes and comments into separate sections. I haven’t attempted some file types with this tool yet though, so reserving judgement.

I successfully translated Word documents with and without diagrams, footnotes etc, and I also managed to translate a PDF without any difficulty in Wordfast Pro. I’m confused, however, by how Wordfast Pro translates Excel spreadsheets, because my attempts did successfully add an Excel spreadsheet to Wordfast Pro, but it seemed to take every line as a new segment rather than seeing each text box as a whole. Therefore, text strings which belonged together for comprehension purposes were separated by other data, making the translation and comprehension of terms complicated or prone to error. This set of errors will be down to my inexperience with the tools, as I’m sure far more experienced users will know how to set up the preferences to cope with this. When you’re as computer-illiterate as I am, written instructions can easily be muddled, which is where I think most of my problems lie.

I’d like to ask which file formats are better supported by which of the two given CAT tools, and also ask your opinions as to which is better and why.

Thank you so much in advance for the slightest bit of information you can give me, I appreciate it very much.

Michaela Suzanna Gallo
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

File Format Preferences with MetaTexis

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »