RE: Metatexis query - glossary/T/Database
Thread poster: RachelG
RachelG
RachelG  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:58
German to English
Oct 18, 2008

Hi all!
I hope I have put this question in the right place! I am a student on a Diploma/MA in Translation. We are exploring different (and cheap or free!) software tools.

I am finding my way around Metatexis which seems pretty intuitive. I am trying to compile vocab into the Translation Database (TDB) (is this the Glossary also?- they seem to be the same thing..). My source text is German and target is English. I cannot add umlauts etc to the German words.. I know how to add u
... See more
Hi all!
I hope I have put this question in the right place! I am a student on a Diploma/MA in Translation. We are exploring different (and cheap or free!) software tools.

I am finding my way around Metatexis which seems pretty intuitive. I am trying to compile vocab into the Translation Database (TDB) (is this the Glossary also?- they seem to be the same thing..). My source text is German and target is English. I cannot add umlauts etc to the German words.. I know how to add umlauts etc in a Word document. My question is: do I create the Glossary in Word/Excel and then 'import' it into the TDB of Metatexis?..
many thanks, Rachel
Collapse

Translation-Pro
Translation-Pro  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:58
English to German
+ ...
Use the +buttons Oct 19, 2008

Hi Rachel,

Have you tried this:
Open your German document, select the German word (source) you want to add, click on the yellow +button in the menu, then select the English term (target) and click on the blue +button. You can also select the German word, click on the yellow +button, then click on the white +button and type in your English translation.

Hope this helps!

Christa

[Edited at 2008-10-19 17:55]

Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:58
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Excel Oct 28, 2008

I would recommend creating your glossary in two columns in excel format, save as csv and then import as MetaTexis TDB (Terminology DataBase).

[Edited at 2008-10-28 21:39]

RachelG
RachelG  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:58
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
RE: Many thanks Nov 6, 2008

Hi there,

Many thanks for the replies! I'm still working my way through Metatexis and will probably have more questions (Hermann Bruns is very quick to give replies as well!).

regards, Rachel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

RE: Metatexis query - glossary/T/Database

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »