Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:36
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
May 11, 2020

Hello everyone

I have project with around 5000 segments, edited using tracked changes. I checked all the edits, and I accept 99% of them (the 1% that I don't accept, I'll just edit afterwards). Is there a way in MemoQ to "accept all" the tracked changes?

If I go Review > Next, it lights up the "Accept" dropdown list, but the only options on it are Accept This Change and Accept And Move To Next.

Thanks!
Samuel

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Quickest method I could find... May 11, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:
Is there a way in MemoQ to "accept all" the tracked changes?

For now, the quickest method I could find was (a) work offline and (b) create a shortcut for "Accept And Move To Next".

To work offline, go to the project and use Documents > Synchronization Behavior > Manual Synchronization. Later, when you've accepted all changes, change this setting back to Auto Save On Server, if you need that to be the setting.

To create a shortcut, go MemoQ > Options > Options > Keyboard Shortcuts > Clone > Okay, then double-click the "Default - copy" ruleset to open the "Customize memoQ shortcuts" dialog. In the search field, type "Accept this change". Click "Accept this change" command under the "Segment editor" category in the list, click the red pencil button, and press the desired shortcut (e.g. Ctrl+/). Then click the green plus icon until it changes back to the red pencil icon (you may need to click it twice). It's also useful to add a shortcut for "Next", e.g. Ctrl+., but be careful, there are more than one command named "Next" in the list.

Then... just hit the shortcut over and over.

[Edited at 2020-05-11 08:30 GMT]

Azman Salleh
Azman Salleh  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 04:36
Member (2010)
English to Malay
+ ...
Still accept segment by segment Oct 1, 2020

Hi Samuel,
good idea, thanks for sharing, but I wonder if there's a click once-for-all type of solution.
I'm still at MemoQ 8.6.

Azman

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
differences with Trados Oct 4, 2020

I know that accepting all changes is something we can do in Word, and I don't remember if we could in Trados--it has been over a year since we switched to MemoQ.

But what I miss most about Trados was that when I received a package to review, Trados would show the differences between their translation of a segment and what I already had in my TM. In a MemoQ file, I have to read both and compare them, to see if there are any differences worth dealing with.

Jose Ruivo

Jose Ruivo
Jose Ruivo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:36
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Ctrl + down / up arrow Mar 15, 2021

Hi Molly,

I'm assuming you can see a list of present and past (fuzzy) translations. If you press Ctrl + down arrow the software will show you the diferences between present and past versions of that sentence.

MollyRose
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Control up or down Mar 15, 2021

Thanks, José. I tried Control up and down while reviewing a TU, but it does not do what I want MemoQ to do. However, I did learn something. Control down moves from the current TU selected in my memory to the next one without having to take my hand from the keyboard and click on it with the mouse.

MemoQ shows the source with what looks like track changes, but not the target. It also does not show the difference between the target that I am reviewing (someone else´s translation
... See more
Thanks, José. I tried Control up and down while reviewing a TU, but it does not do what I want MemoQ to do. However, I did learn something. Control down moves from the current TU selected in my memory to the next one without having to take my hand from the keyboard and click on it with the mouse.

MemoQ shows the source with what looks like track changes, but not the target. It also does not show the difference between the target that I am reviewing (someone else´s translation) with what I already have in my TM. I have to read both targets to see what the difference is. At least I did find a way for it to let me know IF there is a difference, but only if it is a 99 or 100% match. It changes the color of the whole segment! not the words. At least I know I don't have to compare the two when it is a complete match and it does not change color.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have since learnt Mar 16, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

I have since learnt that the way to do this is to select all segments (click in the source column and press Shift+Ctrl+A), and then use "Accept this change".

Mohamad Rudi Atmoko
Thais Janoti
Raul Dominguez
Ingvild Østensen
Igor Nikolashin

Jose Ruivo
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Translation results settings Mar 16, 2021

MollyRose wrote:

MemoQ shows the source with what looks like track changes, but not the target. It also does not show the difference between the target that I am reviewing (someone else´s translation) with what I already have in my TM. I have to read both targets to see what the difference is. At least I did find a way for it to let me know IF there is a difference, but only if it is a 99 or 100% match. It changes the color of the whole segment! not the words. At least I know I don't have to compare the two when it is a complete match and it does not change color.

In the Translation Results pane, line 2 shows previous source and target.
Below that, having results line 2 selected, I can see in 3 horizontal panes:
a) the present target;
b) in track changes mode, the previous target and the present target, allowing me to see what has changed from one version to another;
c) the previous translation.
Can't you see this?

Would it help if you changed the Translation Results settings? At the top of the Translation Results pane there is an eye icon. Double clik it, to open the Translation results settings dialog box. Go down to Compare boxes, click Compare diferent view, and chose the one you like best - if I understand correctly that might be Track changes view. Well, try them both...

Jose Ruivo
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Next project Mar 16, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

I have since learnt that the way to do this is to select all segments (click in the source column and press Shift+Ctrl+A), and then use "Accept this change".

I'll try that in my next project. Thank you!

MollyRose
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Compare boxes Mar 16, 2021

Thanks for the suggestion, José. I tried what you said, but I had already chosen Compare Boxes and track change view when I first got MemoQ. It helps in that it shows the difference between the two SOURCES.

But I also need it to show the differences between the TARGETS in my selected TU and what is on my main screen that I am reviewing (someone else´s translation). [Trados packages worked perfectly for this, but we needed a CAT tool for additional translators, and MemoQ was a
... See more
Thanks for the suggestion, José. I tried what you said, but I had already chosen Compare Boxes and track change view when I first got MemoQ. It helps in that it shows the difference between the two SOURCES.

But I also need it to show the differences between the TARGETS in my selected TU and what is on my main screen that I am reviewing (someone else´s translation). [Trados packages worked perfectly for this, but we needed a CAT tool for additional translators, and MemoQ was a lot cheaper than Trados.] It might be a long sentence with an 83% match, but the only thing that is different is a name, for example. Yet I have to read both sentences thoroughly to see what other differences there are, if any, and then make the decision to keep their better translation and discard mine, keep both, or not make any change to my TM (in the case of the Source being the same). Of course, if I need to make a correction in their translation, my choices would be different.

I mainly just mentioned this problem because MemoQ doesn't have the option to Accept All Changes, and I was commenting on this other feature that Trados has that I also miss in MemoQ, but also in hopes that someone might have found a way for the changes to show in the target.
Collapse

Thais Janoti
Thais Janoti  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:36
Member (2017)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Saved the day [Accept all changes in memoq] Aug 17, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

Thanks for sharing!! I had never thought of doing that.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to "accept all" tracked changes in 9.1.8

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »