Updating MemoQ project from an externally translated .docx/.ppt
Thread poster: Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Local time: 05:02
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
Nov 2, 2018

I did a project entirely outside MemoQ (.ppt, .docx) and my agency requires me to update its outputs into an existing MemoQ project (which includes exactly the same files, obviously). Is there any way to do this?

I was thinking of generating bilingual tables from both versions of the files and then doing some copy-paste magic between them, but the segmentation would most certainly not be identical.

Is this a lost case, am I going to have to waste precious hours with the
... See more
I did a project entirely outside MemoQ (.ppt, .docx) and my agency requires me to update its outputs into an existing MemoQ project (which includes exactly the same files, obviously). Is there any way to do this?

I was thinking of generating bilingual tables from both versions of the files and then doing some copy-paste magic between them, but the segmentation would most certainly not be identical.

Is this a lost case, am I going to have to waste precious hours with the above copy paste method, or are there any solutions? (Intelligent matching software, or something?)
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
LiveDocs to create an alignment as an additional resource Nov 2, 2018

You can use the LiveDocs area in your project to create an alignment pair with the source and target files. When you enable that resource, you can then translate the source file again in memoQ. To do so:
- Open your project.
- Go to the LiveDocs panel. Click "Create/Use New" to create a corpus.
- Select the corpus, then in the ribbon click "Add Alignment Pairs", choose the source and target documents, link the documents, then let memoQ do the alignment.

More info h
... See more
You can use the LiveDocs area in your project to create an alignment pair with the source and target files. When you enable that resource, you can then translate the source file again in memoQ. To do so:
- Open your project.
- Go to the LiveDocs panel. Click "Create/Use New" to create a corpus.
- Select the corpus, then in the ribbon click "Add Alignment Pairs", choose the source and target documents, link the documents, then let memoQ do the alignment.

More info here: https://www.memoq.com/en/livedocs

Although you might bump into some non-identical segmentation (especially if you often turn full stops to commas or viceversa in your language pairs), this would be the easiest way to get your translations back into memoQ. You do not really need to spend time fixing the alignment: just make memoQ autoalign the files, work with that, and copy/paste from your translated documents in segments that are not aligned correctly.

I hope this helps a bit!
Collapse

Anthony Veretyuk

Anthony Veretyuk
Anthony Veretyuk
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:02
English to Russian
+ ...
Update from externally translated Nov 2, 2018

Hi.
You should use the "Live docs" option.
It allows you to import both source and target documents and then fuse them into bilingual document similar to a translation memory. This is not exactly TM. It is more like consultative document used as a reference TM. But you can import it into a TM (either existing or create new one for this case) and use it in the future.
Here is th
... See more
Hi.
You should use the "Live docs" option.
It allows you to import both source and target documents and then fuse them into bilingual document similar to a translation memory. This is not exactly TM. It is more like consultative document used as a reference TM. But you can import it into a TM (either existing or create new one for this case) and use it in the future.
Here is the Kilgray link.
https://www.memoq.com/en/livedocs
It looks complex but it is really easy.
1. Create new in the upper part
2. Import document... source and target in the lower part
3. Add alignment pairs... in the middle of the lower part
in the new window
4. Select languages
5. Add source and target
6. Check required options and OK
After that you should check the alignment. There can be some differences due to different segmentation rules.
But I think you will be OK. Good luck there.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT

mikhailo
mikhailo
Local time: 06:02
English to Russian
+ ...
re Nov 2, 2018

Ekhangel wrote:

Is this a lost case, am I going to have to waste precious hours with the above copy paste method, or are there any solutions? (Intelligent matching software, or something?)

From MQ Help

Import reviewed document (Monolingual review)
1. Save the reviewed document in the Documents folder on your computer. (Or, use any folder that you can find easily.)
2. Open the project that contains the reviewed document.
3. In Project home(See 2.191), choose Translations(See 2.191.3).
4. Right-click the document that was reviewed. In the menu, choose Import Reviewed Document.
Or: On the Documents(See 2.207.2) ribbon, click Monolingual review. In the menu, click Import Reviewed Document.
5. An Open window opens. Find the folder where you saved the reviewed document. Double-click the name of the document.
6. memoQ imports the reviewed document. It uses the exact same filter configuration as was used to import the original document. The alignment editor(See 2.15) opens with your copy on the left and the reviewed document on the right.

Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Worked! Nov 5, 2018

Thank you all, this actually worked! All those bells and whistles that come with our top-dollar software do come in handy sometimes after all.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Updating MemoQ project from an externally translated .docx/.ppt

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »