Off topic: Llithuanian keyboard layout for mobile phone app
Thread poster: RichardPerry
Mar 18, 2011

Hi,

Apologies for posting in English.

I am working on a multi-lingual mobile phone app that will support Lithuanian and I am currently looking at some keyboard designs. Since I have very little knowledge of Lithuanian and limited access to native Lithuanian speakers, I thought it might be useful to get feedback about different Lithuanian keyboards from this forum.

I have uploaded four different Lithuanian k
... See more
Hi,

Apologies for posting in English.

I am working on a multi-lingual mobile phone app that will support Lithuanian and I am currently looking at some keyboard designs. Since I have very little knowledge of Lithuanian and limited access to native Lithuanian speakers, I thought it might be useful to get feedback about different Lithuanian keyboards from this forum.

I have uploaded four different Lithuanian keyboard layouts here:
http://i.imgur.com/6h760.png

A bit about the layouts:
1) This is the 4-row layout (based on the standard QWERTY) that I understand to be the most popularly used Lithuanian desktop keyboard layout.

2) This is based on QWERTY too. The Lithuanian vowels ą, ę, ė, į, ų, and ū have been placed on the right of the keyboard. The Lithuanian consonants č, š and ž are on the c, s and z keys respectively.

3) This is the Lithuanian standard layout, which I understand is not as popular as layout 1.

4) This is the Lithuanian standard keyboard, modified slightly to save space and to match the QWERTY keys.

Bear in mind that the keyboard size will be the same for all layouts -- only the key sizes will differ. This means that if I choose layout 1, the keys will be shorter and squarer than layouts 2 and 4, whose keys would be taller and narrower.

Of the four layouts, I am only considering layouts 1, 2 and 4. Layout 3 is not an option on a mobile phone as the keys would be too narrow. I included it in the image just to demonstrate how layout 4 came about.

What do you think? All comments appreciated! Thank you.

[Edited at 2011-03-18 21:46 GMT]
Collapse

Algis Masys
Algis Masys
Canada
Local time: 17:51
Member (2009)
English to Lithuanian
my vote for 1 Apr 11, 2011

I'd vote for layout 1. It's the most common and imho (especially in portrait mode) would be the most comfortable.

Another option (used in Android) is grouping Lithuanian letters to similar Latin character (e. g. a with ą; u with ų and ū; c with č). Lithuanian letters appear after a long press, together with other similar chars.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Kristina Radziulyte[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Llithuanian keyboard layout for mobile phone app

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »