Thread poster: Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:43
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 15, 2014

I am running Mint 13 on my old Laptop and installed XP in virtualbox. This XP version has to be activated within 1 month, the problem only is that I can access the net through XP, while internet on Linux is working perfectly (as proofs this message).

Does anyone know how I can connect my virtual XP with the internet connection of Mint?

iperbole10
iperbole10
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
can be a solution? Sep 16, 2014

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=104260

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, but.... Sep 23, 2014

then exactly the opposite.

Under settings:

Linked to: Network Bridge Adapter
Name: wlano
Pr. modus: Accept VM's

Thank you.

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Next step Sep 23, 2014

So I got my virtual XP running, installed Guest Additions for a connection with Mint, but what is the next step? How do I activate Guest Additions to open for example an Open Office file in my virtual XP? So, how can I realise a connection between the two machines?

[Edited at 2014-09-23 20:17 GMT]

RNAtranslator
RNAtranslator  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sharing a folder with Virtualbox Oct 2, 2014

In Virtualbox, select your installed guest; push the configuration button; select "shared folders"; puss the button to add a new shared folder; select a folder in your host and check automount. Use that folder to put the files you want to be used by both operating systems.

I would advise you against setting your home directory or any other important folder as the shared one. Note that Window$ is prone to virus infections that might damage the contents of that folder, and AFAIK ther
... See more
In Virtualbox, select your installed guest; push the configuration button; select "shared folders"; puss the button to add a new shared folder; select a folder in your host and check automount. Use that folder to put the files you want to be used by both operating systems.

I would advise you against setting your home directory or any other important folder as the shared one. Note that Window$ is prone to virus infections that might damage the contents of that folder, and AFAIK there are not security updates for XP any more.

You could even loop mount the vdi file and read is contents without Virtualbox: http://www.planetcobalt.net/sdb/vdi.shtml IMO that shoud be used only to read, not to write; so, where it says "mount -o loop /dev/nbd0p1 /mnt" I would use "mount -o loop,ro /dev/nbd0p1 /mnt".
Collapse

RNAtranslator
RNAtranslator  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Repeated message. Sorry. Oct 2, 2014

Repeated message. Sorry.

[Edited at 2014-10-02 21:37 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-10-02 21:37 GMT]

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No macro's Oct 3, 2014

Got my virtual XP running, installed Trados 7 and Office 7, everything looks fine except all macros are deactivated. I tried the obvious to activate them, but to no avail. They are deactivated to protect my system (????). No macros, no Trados.

Who has the solution?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No internet XP on Linux

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »