Thread poster: Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:05
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
May 21, 2014

I converted my old laptop into a Linux computer (Mint 13), but for some programs I still need XP. So I installed Virtual Box, and then the problem starts.

I do have an official XP-version, only it comes on 2 CD's instead of 1. The virtual machine only installs 1 CD and stops. No way I can install CD2.

Does anyone has a tip other than "get a XP-version on 1 CD"?

Piyush Ojha
Piyush Ojha  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:05
English to Hindi
+ ...
A few things to check May 21, 2014

1. Does the old laptop have enough resources -- RAM and disk space -- to install and comfortably run Windows XP?

2. Have you allocated sufficient resources to the virtual machine? I expect you need at least 512 MB RAM and probably 5-6 GB of disk space.

3. It may be that the 1st CD installs the operating system and essential programs and utilities and the 2nd CD contains extras (service pack). If Windows XP boots after installation from the first CD, you may be ab
... See more
1. Does the old laptop have enough resources -- RAM and disk space -- to install and comfortably run Windows XP?

2. Have you allocated sufficient resources to the virtual machine? I expect you need at least 512 MB RAM and probably 5-6 GB of disk space.

3. It may be that the 1st CD installs the operating system and essential programs and utilities and the 2nd CD contains extras (service pack). If Windows XP boots after installation from the first CD, you may be able to install the remaining components in a second step.

Hope this helps.
Collapse

Stefano Papaleo
Stefano Papaleo  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Convert CDs to ISO images and mount both May 21, 2014

As already said, probably the second CD is for service packs etc. Since you'll have to install lots of updates and that that OS is no longer supported by Microsoft, I have 2 options to suggest:

1) since you have the product key, find the latest ISO of XP somewhere, use that to install with your license

2) convert both CDs to IOS images and save them on your linux both and then mount them in VB as virtual drives, maybe, just maybe, that helps.

If you can, as
... See more
As already said, probably the second CD is for service packs etc. Since you'll have to install lots of updates and that that OS is no longer supported by Microsoft, I have 2 options to suggest:

1) since you have the product key, find the latest ISO of XP somewhere, use that to install with your license

2) convert both CDs to IOS images and save them on your linux both and then mount them in VB as virtual drives, maybe, just maybe, that helps.

If you can, assign enough resources in terms of drive space if you plan to install large applications and allow some free space for Windows to work.

Good luck
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To answer your questions May 21, 2014

Hi Piyush,

Thank you for your feedback, much appreciated.

To answer your questions:
1) Yes. 2 GB RAM and 120 GB Harddisk.
2) Yes. 512 MB RAM and 10 GB disk space.
3) That is exactly the problem, it doesn't. I tried all "bells" possible, but to no avail.

It looks as if Linux/Virtual Box doesn't install programs that come on 2 CD's instead of on 1. In Windows you get the message "Please insert disk 2", I haven seen that message in Mint.
<
... See more
Hi Piyush,

Thank you for your feedback, much appreciated.

To answer your questions:
3) That is exactly the problem, it doesn't. I tried all "bells" possible, but to no avail.

It looks as if Linux/Virtual Box doesn't install programs that come on 2 CD's instead of on 1. In Windows you get the message "Please insert disk 2", I haven seen that message in Mint.

[Edited at 2014-05-21 19:31 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-05-21 19:33 GMT]
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:05
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Dual boot? May 22, 2014

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Why not make a dedicated partition, install Windows there and dual boot?

Piyush Ojha
Piyush Ojha  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:05
English to Hindi
+ ...
What happens on "Please insert disk 2"? May 22, 2014

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

In Windows you get the message "Please insert disk 2", I haven seen that message in Mint.

Robert,

You have sufficient hardware resources to run XP in a virtual machine. What happens when you remove the first CD and insert the second? Does it just hang?

Piyush

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It opens May 22, 2014

Hi Piyush,

When I insert the second CD it opens and shows me the files that are on it. That's it.

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
nLite May 22, 2014

You could try using nLite to create a new, single-CD ISO from you OEM CDs.

You might also want to search for tutorials on how to install XP in Virtualbox. Maybe there is some pitfall that is unrelated to the CD switch.

Endre

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Installing XP on Linux

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »