Thread poster: Birgit Richter
Birgit Richter
Birgit Richter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:03
English to German
+ ...
Jul 21, 2008

Has someone done this and how did they do it. Once it's installed, how do you start the programme? TextSTAT2 requires Python 2.4 upwards (I have Python 2.5 and Ubuntu's Hardy Heron Version and Suse 10.3 on another computer). Thank you.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:03
English to French
+ ...
I can't really help you, but... Jul 21, 2008

TextSTAT was the first concordancer I ever used professionally. It worked fine, but it came nowhere near AntConc, which soon replaced it on my system. I still use AntConc today for term extraction, and I find that it has all the features I need, is lightweight and does a much better job at extracting terms than expensive software whose purpose is precisely term extraction.

I am not sure if you can run it under Linux - but I would be surprised if it wasn't the case. The nice thing ab
... See more
TextSTAT was the first concordancer I ever used professionally. It worked fine, but it came nowhere near AntConc, which soon replaced it on my system. I still use AntConc today for term extraction, and I find that it has all the features I need, is lightweight and does a much better job at extracting terms than expensive software whose purpose is precisely term extraction.

I am not sure if you can run it under Linux - but I would be surprised if it wasn't the case. The nice thing about AntConc also is that you don't actually need to install it. It is a standalone executable.
Collapse

RNAtranslator
RNAtranslator  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Pyton-tk Jul 21, 2008

You need to install python-tk. Then, the command "python TextSTAT.pyw".

By the way, what is the usefulness of that program for a translator?

Birgit Richter
Birgit Richter  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Concordancer Jul 23, 2008

Thank you very much for your advice. I have installed both. What I like about AntConc is that it doesn't require you to create a project name with a specific file ending. You just load your files and at the end of the session you unload them. I have not had the time to play with it much yet but my first impression is I like it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Installing TextSTAT (concordancer) under Linux

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »