Maria Jordan
Maria Jordan
Germany
Local time: 17:09
English to German
+ ...
Jan 15, 2008

Bitte Info:
Welches Englisch - britisches oder amerikanisches - wird in China bevorzugt verwendet?

Which English - British or American - is preferred in China?

Christine Qian
Christine Qian
China
Local time: 23:09
English to Chinese
+ ...
american Jan 15, 2008

american i guess...well, english is getting popular though. especially you can hear many tv hosts speak english english.

Angus Woo
Angus Woo
Chinese to English
+ ...
I don't think most of the mainland readers know the difference Jan 15, 2008

Maria Winter wrote:

Bitte Info:
Welches Englisch - britisches oder amerikanisches - wird in China bevorzugt verwendet?

Which English - British or American - is preferred in China?

Forrest Liang
Forrest Liang  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
55 Jan 15, 2008

I would say it's about fifty-fifty, I personally prefer American English, all the way along.

Angus Woo
Angus Woo
Chinese to English
+ ...
FYI Jan 16, 2008

A lot of those who can read English in the mainland know that the spelling of a word sometimes is different. Nowadays, almost every household has an English dictionary somewhere, most of them English - Chinese dictionary. But a large percentage of them don't know the difference between an American expression and an English expression, idioms, slangs.

If it's American spelling, but an English expression, then most of them won't notice the difference.

lxguy
lxguy
English
Mixture of both Jan 24, 2008

It's hard to say that.That depends on the authors fo the textbooks.Textbooks published by FLTR are from Britain while many textbooks from PE are mainly adapted from Amercian textbooks.Students seem to prefer Amercian English accent.

Anna CHEN
Anna CHEN
English to Chinese
+ ...
My view Feb 10, 2008

I think both are ok for most English learners and it does not make too much difference for us like pronunuciation and small variance of spelling. When i studied english major in the uni, both are offered to the students. Teachers told us to choose one to follow its pronunciation and way of spelling though. Most of my classmates chose American as it is easier. Aussie English might be harder for us though.

V_iris
V_iris
English to Chinese
reply from a mainlander May 14, 2008

Hi Maria,
With reference to your Q, I'd say it's the American English that receives more popularity in the mainland China.(As I'm not aware of the situation in HongKong.) Since it's widely acknowledged that the U.S. is the country that we'll have most commercial and cultural exchanges with given it being the most powerful country in the world, the Chinese education lays more emphasis on American english, with British english ranking the second. Most english textbooks used in primary
... See more
Hi Maria,
With reference to your Q, I'd say it's the American English that receives more popularity in the mainland China.(As I'm not aware of the situation in HongKong.) Since it's widely acknowledged that the U.S. is the country that we'll have most commercial and cultural exchanges with given it being the most powerful country in the world, the Chinese education lays more emphasis on American english, with British english ranking the second. Most english textbooks used in primary schools all the way to universities are compiled in American english. But there's no denying that we always have full access to British english through the internet and other media means.
Collapse

angeling
angeling
Local time: 16:09
English to Chinese
somebody does, somebody doesn't Jun 11, 2008

well, i quite like American English because of Friends, but one of my best friend likes British English, she lived in London for half an year and she think British accent is better than American accent

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

English in China

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »