Arabic Grammar
Thread poster: imprimatur
imprimatur
imprimatur
Local time: 09:02
English to German
Feb 15, 2007

Could anyone tell me whether Arabic grammar changes from one country to the next and, if so, does it change significantly? I imagine that this is not a straightforward question, but if anyone can point me towards any good websites or references that discuss this issue at least, that would be great.

Thanks.

Mohammed Lafi
Mohammed Lafi
Germany
English to Arabic
+ ...
Arabic Grammar Feb 16, 2007

.It depens on what variety of Arabic you are talking about.
If you are asking about Modern Standard Arabic, the answer is NO. Standard Arabic Grammar is the same all over the world.

The second variety of Arabic is spoken Arabic. Spoken Arabic grammars differ to a small extent. You have North African Arabic, Middle Eastern Arabic, Gulf Arabic, Egyptian and Sudanese Arabic, else.
For example, in Syrian Arabic , they say ' Kulkin' which means ' all of you' for the female
... See more
.It depens on what variety of Arabic you are talking about.
If you are asking about Modern Standard Arabic, the answer is NO. Standard Arabic Grammar is the same all over the world.

The second variety of Arabic is spoken Arabic. Spoken Arabic grammars differ to a small extent. You have North African Arabic, Middle Eastern Arabic, Gulf Arabic, Egyptian and Sudanese Arabic, else.
For example, in Syrian Arabic , they say ' Kulkin' which means ' all of you' for the female and male addressees, whereas the same expression is used for male addressees in Jordan and MSA.
As for references, you can see ' Modern Written Arabic' by Said Badawi and others, 'Modern Arabic: Structures, Functions and Varieties' by Clive Holes and 'The Arabic Language Today ' by Beetson.

For research help, you can try google by typing Arabic grammar, colloquial arabic ect
Collapse

imprimatur
imprimatur
Local time: 09:02
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 19, 2007

Thank you Mohammed, much appreciated.

I don't suppose you know where I can look for information on using the correct gender and preposition?

I have a couple of queries and woudl like to research them.

Google is ok, but not getting anything definite.

Thanks

[Edited at 2007-02-19 16:15]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Arabic Grammar

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »